CES 2022 (January 5-7, 2022)

2 Likes

Many individual analysts who usually attend have now decided to skip it, including Stacey Higginbotham from StaceyonIOT.

Understandable, but still a loss, since those folks tend to dig out interesting news in their one on one conversations.

1 Like

From the article in @jkp ‘s post:

Sony, Samsung and Google are all listed as “monitoring local conditions,” which could be read as a meaningless platitude but also gives those companies an easy out if they decide the conditions have changed.

Looks like there may be a lot of Kickstarter type concept folks, though…

Despite the lengthening list of departing exhibitors, the Consumer Technology Association, which runs CES, said Thursday that additional exhibitors have signed up for physical space on the show floor. “While we recently received 42 exhibitor cancellations (less than 7% of our exhibit floor),” the CTA said, “since last Friday we’ve added 60 new exhibitors for our in-person event.”

1 Like
1 Like

Good idea, poor implementation. :disappointed_relieved:

From the article:

you do need three apps to use your door — Ring’s for the doorbell, Yale’s for the door lock, and Masonite’s own smartphone app for programming and controlling the motion-activated LED lighting and checking the door state.
This is the most disappointing aspect of the door from a user perspective and misses the mark on a fully integrated experience. The included Yale door lock doesn’t even work with Ring, even though Yale makes a Z-Wave lock that does.

Not being able to connect it to other home automation systems is so 2019…

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’m impressed with the device that offers this as a feature:

The Tapo P125 features a compact design to save space and extra safety features, including a flame-resistant design.

I’d rather have one that didn’t catch on fire to begin with. Just sayin’… :wink:

That said, I am intrigued by the Tapo power strip, which is the first one I’ve seen that has both a USB-C and a USB a charging port. Usually it’s one or the other. No word yet on whether those will be controllable from HomeKit, though.

1 Like

I still don’t understand Tapo vs Kasa. Cool to see HomeKit support for Tapo, but disappointed no Matter announcements from TP-Link.

This Schlage door lock looks nice. Apple HomeKey, Thread, etc.

This sengled health monitoring bulb sounds…weird. Cool to see video sync light strips and Matter devices coming from them, though. But no updates for Matter for old devices :frowning:

2 Likes

Tapo is their budget brand, at least in Europe. Lower price point, somewhat reduced features. For example, smart plugs, from the TplInk forum

Tapo P100 only displays the total runtime per day/week/month, while HS100 displays the current rum time and the daily average per week/month, which has more information than Tapo P100.
the Tapo P100 supports up to 20 schedules at once time; while the HS100 supports 31.

Also, last I looked, kasa has an IFTTT integration but Tapo does not.

Oxford comma?

2 Likes

I have both tapo and kasa devices for quite a few years. Some are absolutely identical except for branding and yet they use different apps. Most the time it is just software that makes the kasa devices 50-100% more expensive which is so frustrating

3 Likes

The cameras has a fair bit of features, they are cheap and support local recording to MicroSD card. The only downside is the WiFi connection and no wired connection.

By price and features the Tapo C100 vs the Blink Mini the Tapo one is the winner. (I cannot talk about image quality but both are 1080P)

Blink Mini

Tapo C100

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Tapo-Security-Required-C100/dp/B083GGLKSJ/

The Tapo does not require the external recorder unit like the Blink one, which cost more and cannot be used for continuous recording. Plus the Tapo one does not require a paid service for the cloud storage, as the local microsd can be accessed remote as well.

1 Like

This is a big deal, particularly since it is being delivered with matter support. It makes it really easy to create a thread border router that can also communicate to a cloud if needed by Wi-Fi.

NXP already had a dual protocol chip with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth which looks well engineered. And allows you to shut down the two protocols independently, which I assume they’re going to do for the three in the new chip as well. If so, this is a major engineering step forward, and it’s particularly interesting to see it being presented in a matter context. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

CES or not CES, but have you seen this recent article?

1 Like