CES 2023 ( January 5-8, 2023)

1 Like

I suspect there will be a lot of Matter-related announcements in the smart home space

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the new aqara doorbell, which should be coming not long after CES.

I actually just bought a Logitech Circle the other day but I might leave it in the box for a few weeks to see the timeline on aqara’s release

The G4? It just got FCC certification:

But while it looks like it will work with HomeKit, I don’t think there’s going to be smartthings integration. And video doorbells are not a matter category yet. :disappointed_relieved:

Yes, that’s the one.

What does it mean that it just got the certification? Still a ways away from being available?

I am starting to move towards Homekit. I love ST but it’s time to start the transition. Partly because I was using Ring for security and I’m getting tired of it. Moving towards aqara.

I’m still using ST as a zwave/zigbee hub (minus aqara zigbee) for now.

I actually have my Ring Keypad working with ST and, based on a suggestion made by you, am thinking of using a meross plug that displays in both ST and HK as a sort of gateway between the two to incorporate both ends into my security system.

Ring keypad arms a couple remaining zwave sensors and turns on meross plug, alerting HK to arm rest of alarm system. I’m in the early stages, but if I can master it, I’m thinking it’s going to be a pretty cool solution.

1 Like

Yes, but could be as little as 60 days from certification date. 90 days isn’t unusual so late first quarter of 2023 is a definite possibility, which would fit with a lot of CE announcements. But occasionally FCC certification is the very last thing they do, they already have the marketing and the retail channels done, so then it can be even quicker. It just varies a lot. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like
1 Like

Right, let’s put a multi protocol hub inside a wall, and add yet another layer of potential interference to degrade the signals. :thinking:

2 Likes

Cync by GE announced a new model RGB smart bulb and smart plug to work with matter.

Unfortunately, GE Lighting said there are no plans for previously produced Cync products to receive retroactive Matter support at this time.

1 Like
1 Like

notable, 2023 Samsung TVs with SmartThings hub built in will no longer require the zigbee/thread dongle. The radios are now built-in.

1 Like

And no zwave, right?