Centralite Micro Motion Sensor won't Pair to ST Hubv2

I have a Centralite Micro Motion Sensor that was inadvertently unpaired from my ST hub during a battery replacement. After removing the device via the ST app, I followed the manufacturer instructions to reset and re-pair the motion sensor. I did this repeatedly, and while the flashing lights on the sensor itself indicated pairing activity, the device never showed in the ST App.

After many, many such failed attempts—I tried pairing by scan only, by brand and device, and I even moved the sensor into my office where the hub is located—I tried exactly the same steps with a Hubitat Hub to confirm the sensor itself was not the issue. The Hubitat paired instantly with the motion sensor. I removed the sensor from Hubitat, reset it, and went through those same steps again to be sure I followed the same sequence with the ST Hub. Again it worked easily Then it was remove, reset, and back to the ST Hub (At one point I even unplugged the Hubitat Hub because, well, I’d tried everything else).

Once again, the sensor and the Hubv2 looked like they were talking to each other, but the scan just kept timing out in the app. I’ve been with ST for five years, have got over a hundred devices (a lot for me, if not for many of you) and I’ve never been this frustrated.

I know “new” devices are onboarding with Edge drivers, but as there is a Zigbee Motion Sensor Edge driver that shouldn’t matter, right? Somebody please tell me I’m missing something obvious here. :man_shrugging:

Here are the Edge Drivers that are in Production:

go through the list. Without the model #, I don’t know what to look for.

SmartThings Edge Drivers

you can also look through the wiki pages:

Table of Edge Drivers

Quick Browse Links for Edge Drivers

now @JDRoberts might stop shading me :sunglasses: or not! :wink:

If you can’t find an Edge Driver for your device, you can place a request for a community developer to add it to theirs.

Post Requests for Edge Drivers Here (community-created)

1 Like

I had already gone through those lists (and others). The Centralite isn’t specifically mentioned, but with both ST and Hubitat this particular motion sensor has always been onboarded as a “Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor”—and there is an offical Edge equivalent available.

Are you suggesting this is this a fingerprinting issue?

Yep. Probably. I don’t know, I can’t keep up :slight_smile:

At this point, Just wanted you to try a community Edge Driver to see what happens. So you may want to go to the request thread and ask for it to be added to me of their Drivers. Most likely @Mariano_Colmenarejo

Just to correct and add to the info provided, I found this fingerprint:

fingerprint inClusters: “0000,0001,0003,0020,0402,0500,0B05”, outClusters: “0019”, manufacturer: “CentraLite”, model: “3328-G”, deviceJoinName: “Centralite Motion Sensor” //Centralite Micro Motion Sensor

From the groovy DTH previously in use, which was not (as I said), the generic Zigbee Motion Sensor.

Hi @bthrock

This device exists in the stock smartthings driver which is in production.
It should pair with it if you are enrolled in the hub beta firmware.

If not, install the smartthings Beta Channel Zigbee Motion Sensor driver on your Hub and add a new device by scanning nearby.
The device will appear in unassigned room.

This is the link to smartthings edge drivers tutorial and the smartthing edge beta channel

If it still doesn’t work then tag to @nayelyz

Hi Mariano,

Thanks. I figured this should be stock and was surprised when the device did not onboard as I described in my original post.

I am not enrolled with the hub beta firmware, but did install the Zigbee Motion Sensor driver that I found through this link yesterday. “ZigBee Motion Sensor” is listed as one of the Edge drivers installed on my hub, per the ST app, and still I’ve had no success onboarding this device with ST. It does readily onboard with Hubitat, so at least I know the device is working and I’m resetting it properly.

In looking through the IDE yesterday, I did note that I have one other motion sensor (Samsung SmartThings GP-U999SJVLBAA) that uses the Centralite Motion Sensor groovy DTH. Could the presence of the groovy DTH have any effect?

For now I’m still stuck, so I’m tagging @nayelyz as suggested.

Hi, @bthrock.

Could you provide the following information, please?

1. Confirm the email account registered in the forum is the same one you use for SmartThings.
  2. Provide the Hub logs through the IDE:
    1. In the IDE, enter “my hubs”
    2. Enter the corresponding Hub and go to “view utilities”
    3. Click on “send” below "send hub logs
  3. If you have more than one Hub, the name of the one involved in the issue.
1 Like

During the current transition period when both Groovy and Edge drivers are being used, The system will use the following priority sequence when choosing what to use when a new device is being added:

1. custom Groovy DTH with matching fingerprint
  2. custom Edge Driver with matching fingerprint (must already have been downloaded to your hub)
  3. stock edge driver with matching fingerprint (must already have been downloaded to your hub)
  4. stock groovy DTH

So if you have a custom groovy DTH on your account with the same fingerprint you have to either delete it or at least comment out that fingerprint before the system will choose an edge driver for the new device. :thinking:

1 Like

During the current transition period when both Groovy and Edge drivers are being used, The system will use the following priority sequence when choosing what to use when a new device is being added:

custom Groovy DTH with matching fingerprint
custom Edge Driver with matching fingerprint (must already have been downloaded to your hub)
stock edge driver with matching fingerprint (must already have been downloaded to your hub)
stock groovy DTH

Okay, I thought that’s what I read but wanted to confirm.

It’s stock groovy DTH, so … bottom of this list.

Thanks.

Could you provide the following information, please?

Confirm the email account registered in the forum is the same one you use for SmartThings.
Provide the Hub logs through the IDE:
In the IDE, enter “my hubs”
Enter the corresponding Hub and go to “view utilities”
Click on “send” below "send hub logs
If you have more than one Hub, the name of the one involved in the issue.

Yes, the email address is the same. I have only the one hub and the logs were just sent.

I tried one more time just before sending the logs. Once the “Add a Device” scan begins, the light on the sensor immediately turns green for a second, then starts flashing yellow. It looks to me like the hub is seeing the device, but the connection is failing. But…what do I know? :smile:

Thank you.

@nayelyz Any update on this?

Hi, @bthrock!
Sorry, not yet. But, could you provide the access to your account, please?
This is to see the details of the devices installed. Please, follow these steps:

1. Go to the SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com)
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and confirm - In this step, please select “Until turned off”, once the team finishes, we’ll let you know so you can disable it again.

could you provide the access to your account, please

Done. Thanks.

Curiously enough, even though the motion sensor had been removed from my system via the ST App, been reset multiple times, and even paired to another hub once or twice for testing purposes, it suddenly came to life in ST for me last night. A battery notification popped up out of nowhere on my favorites page.

The motion sensor was still missing from my routines, of course, (BTW, you should REALLY leave a placeholder for missing devices instead of trashing routines), but it’s back and working now, albeit with a groovy-based DTH.

I assume somebody did some tinkering behind the scenes to make this happen? Please let me know if I can now disable Account Data Access.

Hi, @bthrock.

AFAIK, the team didn’t make any changes to your device.
However, they checked the logs you sent and noticed there are a couple of connection time-outs. Other times, the device doesn’t provide all the information about the fingerprint, for example, it provides the manufacturer but not the model and this causes a mismatch with the driver’s fingerprints.
This made them think that the device is too far away from the Hub and that’s why it is having this strange behavior. Have you verified that?

1 Like

It’s only about 30 feet from the hub, which shouldn’t be a problem and hasn’t been for the past year. Plus, when I tried to re-pair the device, I brought it into my office where the hub is to be sure distance wasn’t causing an issue.

Since this all started with a battery replacement, I’m wondering if I might be dealing with a battery or contact fault. But I’ll move it closer the next time it acts up to be sure.

Still strange to me that I was able to remove it from the ST App and reset the device itself and it nevertheless reappeared suddenly … but that’s a lesser concern for now.

Regardless, the information you provided will help me to focus my attention where it belongs. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, @bthrock!
Did you check if the device works correctly now?

I switched to a different brand of battery and haven’t had an issue since. Not sure if it was the battery, the brand, or fairy dust that made the difference, but I’m not complaining. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like