Cannot turn on/off Arlo cameras with automations

I have Arlo integrated with the newer Smartthings app and can control each camera fully under devices. However, using an action in automations will only allow me to record, not turn the cameras on/off. I’ve always used this functionality for all my cameras so its a big loss. I’ve removed the Arlo integration and added it several times. Once, I saw the right dialog box but clicked away and now its gone again. Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue, and it drives me crazy.

I have two original Arlo cameras, that now behaves like you describe. I can no longer turn them on or off. I can only choose to have them ‘record’ in an automation (which is useless in my case, as I use automations to turn them on/off as part of toggling the SHM on/off).

Now, I have an Arlo Pro as well. That camera works just fine, and I have all options available in automations for that version of the camera.

So the issue seems to be related to the original (old) Arlo cameras.

I too hope that there will be a fix soon.

Thank you, at least you narrowed it down. You are correct, the issue only happens on the older ARLO cameras, I have 2 of those, 3 ARLO pros that work fine. I know its a bug because it used to work, anybody help?

In the same boat.

Same here.

Same here, used to work but now record only :frowning:

I am going to assume Arlo forced the removal of this because they want you to buy their newer camera’s. Their battery life is shit, compared to other cameras. (Blink and Eufy have anywhere from 6-12 months of battery life ) Plus, you open their app and your blasted with an ad? This is an obvious money grab attempt.

I’m seeing the same issue. Was this support deprecated? I used this feature in older revisions

Purchased an essential recently and can still do on/off via automation.

However I am using Smart home monitor to trigger them on/off instead. Is it still an option there for older Arlo cameras? I planned to add some pro 2’s to my set up in future.

1 Like

You can turn them on/off using the “Smart Lighting” “SmartApp.” That built-in “SmartApp” will treat them like a light to turn them on/off. I had same problem before changing to this method of on/off.

I cannot even record on my oold Arlo camera via a scene. I just get this message

Can anyone else use a camera that is switched of?

Same here, ST was unable to turn on/off my two original Arlo cameras but my Pros were OK. I was tired of replacing the batteries in them anyways and picked up two Pro3 cameras and they are much better and ST can control them fully. It was worth the upgrade all around.

I just wish that ST and Arlo were more clear on the deprecated support for the original cameras, it would have saved a lot of time troubleshooting!

I can control my cameras (turn on and turn off) using webcore.
In automations this function dont work after update.

Now, i can turn off cameras when SHM set to Home, and turn on when SHM set to away.

Appreciate I’m a little late to this party but this might help anyone in a similar situation with Arlo cameras.

The integration to switch on and off and motion detection appears to be deprecated. As an example I couldn’t use any of my cameras for motion detection in the SmartThings app when in either “Armed” modes. You can still select the cameras for motion detection use but motion detection is off in the Arlo app and the only way to enabled it is to use a Mode like “Armed”. The challenge with this is your cameras are going to permanently alert you when they detect motion.

As a workaround and a bit hackish the following steps enable motion detection for the older Arlo cameras in SmartThings, triggered by any of the “Armed” modes and will also record when either motion or intrusion is detected:

1. Create a new mode in arlo app e.g. SmartThings
  2. Create rules for all your cameras that detect motion and set the “Alert” to “Push Notification”
  3. Make sure “Then do the following” is not set to record
  4. Switch off notifications for the arlo app.

The cameras will be permanently primed to detect motion but you won’t receive any notifications.

In SmartThings Home Monitor enable Motion detection for the require cameras for each mode e.g. Arm (Away) and Arm (Stay) as required. Set the response to record from the required cameras.

Now here’s the kicker. Make sure to “Set response” with a “Delay time” of 30 seconds. If you fail to do this step it won’t record from the camera that detected the motion, only the other cameras. Appreciate there’s a delay of 30 seconds but it’s not recording from the right camera anyway.

That’s it. Your camera batteries will drain quicker as the cameras aren’t being switched on an off but at least motion detection is now working in the SmartThings app and triggering record.

1 Like

Did this workaround just stop working? I deleted the SmartLighing SmartApp but that did not help. As of today I can no longer turn the cameras on and off using the SmartLighting method.