Cannot save Alexa Routines

Anyone else getting an error in Alexa when they try to create a new Routine that involves an ST sensor as the trigger and an ST device as an action? I also had an error when I tried to save a change to an existing routine with a similar configuration that I’ve had for a while. Also, that routine hasn’t triggered recently which is why I was trying to edit it or create a new replacement.

It’s not just smartthings, I got the same error when trying to create a routine with a hue sensor.

Contact Alexa support. They recently added a bunch of new features to routines, and there may be a bug.

1 Like

It looks like my issue could be specific to the ST device I am using as the trigger. It is a custom DTH for the Litter Robot and has capabilities for switch, contact sensor, and motion sensor. It looks like they (Amazon Alexa) may have code now that gets confused when the sensor device designated as the trigger has either multiple sensor capabilities or also has a switch capability. It looks like I have other ST sensor triggered routines that are running fine, but those sensors only have the single sensor capability.

1 Like

We’ll see. I have standard hue motion sensors connected to a hue bridge and using the native Hue integration And they aren’t working. So presumably a bunch of people will be affected and hopefully they’ll get it fixed soon. (The hue sensors are also multi sensors, so you may be right that that’s the issue. But there’s no custom code involved.)

Here is the thread from the Amazon forum describing this Amazon Alexa Routines issue.

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/echo-alexa/520760-there-was-problem-updating-or-creating-this

2 Likes

What did they add?

Hopefully you’re right about the customer impact and quick resolution. I’m not really eager to contact their support about this. Nothing wrong with their support, but I’m not patient enough to jump through the usual support center hoops for this one routine. It would probably be easier for me to create a workaround with a virtual sensor that repeats a single sensor capability from the DTH or something along those lines. I’ll give them a few weeks to surprise me with an unsolicited fix. Until then, the bathroom exhaust fan won’t kick on every time the cat uses the facilities.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what came in which update, but now there are multiple stacked options for schedules:

Also, Hue sensors only became eligible in the last month or so.

1 Like

New Alexa app available in the iOS App Store this evening which resolves the add a new Routine issue.

2 Likes

The update fixed the problem for me. :sunglasses:

1 Like

No update for my Android yet. :frowning_face:

I just tried saving my routine via Android and it works now. Looks like the Alexa app was patched on August 28th . (My phone updated it 20 hrs ago.)

2 Likes

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.