Cannot add my Schlage Connect Lock to SmartThings Hub

New locks are seamless adding. just open bolt \ schlage button + prog code + 0 \ and it adds lock fairly quick.

The problem occurs when lock is from a previous network. I have run into this problem several times before. the normal factory reset doesn’t do it. ( disconncting batt and holding schledge button on pad)

You have to go into the previous hub system and release it.

ie. I had WINK and had to subscribe just to be able to release the lock from WINK hub. It was $5 bucks only used it for 10 minutes and canceled service but lock added and registered on smartthing hub immediately.

it’s kinda extortion what WINK did but just pay the 4.99 , cancel and be done with them. I recommend to gracefully remove all devices that were connected just to be sure. some might require to add again and remove but it’s the only way you can insure that is clean for migration.

WINK membership will work till end of month once you cancel.

You will need to add an extra app on your smartthing app to control user codes you would like to add / manage.

app is call “Smart Lock Guest Access” featured as add on from within Smartthing Android/ ios app.

You don’t need the Wink subscription to exclude your lock, you can do it directly from the SmartThings hub using the exclusion process even it’s wasn’t paired using SmartThings.

You can also check out this lock user management (LUM) app which can create many advanced types of users and schedule codes, create custom actions, notifications and much more:

I’ve never heard of your app but sounds great but how can you
exclude it if Smart things can’t even see it.

this thread is about smart things
going fforward

if the lock was on an automated hub like wink I have found that if you’re able to remove it from within the wink app everything works perfect. You’re able to see the lockthat was not even recognize or found in any scans. After doing this it just connect and registers in smartthing like a breeze.

don’t know why wink does this but maybe it’s some type of safety feature if somebody runs off with your llock they can’t use it.

Take a look the exclusion link I posted above which explains how to do a generic exclusion for zwave devices which aren’t paired with the hub (zwave standard allows for this)

The z-wave standard says that a z-wave device can be excluded/reset from any z-wave certified hub, even if it was never paired to it. Since both Wink and SmartThings are z-wave certified, this applies to them. Most older z-wave devices MUST be excluded. Resetting them alone won’t work. Here’s how to exclude any z-wave device using a SmartThings hub:

Well in the same boat as others. Relocated lock to another door. Have gone through the factory reset numerous times, excluded it, added it back in. Have it sitting right next to my hub. Have rebooted the hub, including pulling batteries. It will join but it’s not secure so can’t do anything with it. As I’m adding it back in it will search for it, then ask to scan the bar code (which of course is inside the device) and then won’t recognize it so I enter the 5 digit prefix which it seems to accept, to a point. I did have this lock on my system before so I know it works, just now can’t get it back in.

I went ahead and reinstalled the lock, far end of the garage at an entry door and tried to add it back in one more time. As before, it would join, even through 5+ walls and almost 70’ away, but just won’t do it securely.

I am having the same issue. I have remove from my Wink and sent an email to delete@wink.com to delete all devices and my account. Then I reset the lock. Unplugged and rebooted the hub. Then tried pairing several times. The hub is about 3 ft away with nothing between them. I even got an extension cord and put the hub on the lock and tried twice more. Nothing. That red X is driving me crazy. I have researched the lock to make sure it isn’t too old, I think it is from 2018 but it is a schlage connect camelot and has previously paired to a wink hub. I don’t know anything else to try.

I have run the exclusion and enter the programming code on the lock. It flashes the red X at me like nothing happened?

It’s been so long since I went through this that I can’t remember everything, but I think the red X would display as it wasn’t paired, it was just exluded. After the exclusion you should try again to pair it regularly, which worked for me. Once it was paired I haven’t had a single issue with it in over 3 years.

Thanks. I tried to exclusion, no confirmation it worked though? Then factory reset the lock. Unplug and restarted the hub. Then tried the pairing, at 5 times, no luck.

I would think you should get some kind of exclusion confirmation by the smartthings app? I’m not sure if everything still works the same as when I set it up - there might be newer threads with more up to date info. This was most frustrating device I’ve ever had to add and it took me several attempts.

Are you holding the hub very very close to the lock when trying to add? I had to basically touch them during the pairing to get it to work. I had to buy a really long cat5 cable to reach the door, but they probably work on wifi now.

Yes - When you successfully exclude a device from SmartThings it will give you a message in the mobile app that a device was excluded.

Yes - You can exclude this lock multiple times, each time it will flash green - if it’s flashing red that means it’s not excluding. Follow the steps here until it does:

I was finally able to get the Schlage lock paired. Am I not able to add/delete codes through the Smarttings app?

You will need to install Smart Lock Guest Access if it is available in your region. Go to the Life section to add it.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

I had the same issue, but I found my solution and hopefully it will work for you.

1. Go to your Hub Device in SmartThings

2. Click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner

3. Click on Z-Wave Utilities

4. Click on Z-Wave exclusion

5. Click on “How to delete”

6. Then from the list that appears select your device by clicking on it and it will give you the steps to delete it

7. Click on the back arrow in the upper left hand corner twice to get back to the Z-Wave exclusion screen

8. Now, follow the steps given to you earlier to delete the device while your phone is still running on the Z-Wave exclusion screen

9. The check mark in the lower left hand corner of your Schlage Connect keypad should blink a green check telling you it was successfully removed

10. Now, follow your original steps to add the device to the hub, in my case it was, Press the Schlage button → enter programming code → press the 0 button. The check mark in the lower left hand corner should blink a green check telling you it was successfully connected

2 Likes

Try this:

I had the same issue, but I found my solution and hopefully it will work for you.

1. Go to your Hub Device in SmartThings
  2. Click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner
  3. Click on Z-Wave Utilities
  4. Click on Z-Wave exclusion
  5. Click on “How to delete”
  6. Then from the list that appears select your device by clicking on it and it will give you the steps to delete it
  7. Click on the back arrow in the upper left hand corner twice to get back to the Z-Wave exclusion screen
  8. Now, follow the steps given to you earlier to delete the device while your phone is still running on the Z-Wave exclusion screen
  9. The check mark in the lower left hand corner of your Schlage Connect keypad should blink a green check telling you it was successfully removed
  10. Now, follow your original steps to add the device to the hub, in my case it was, Press the Schlage button → enter programming code → press the 0 button. The check mark in the lower left hand corner should blink a green check telling you it was successfully connected
4 Likes

Thank you Rick Manley. Your post is just what I needed.

What a PITA that Schlage didn’t clear the pairing to my Wink Hub when I factory reset it. I should have given up on Wink a long time ago but I just didn’t want to go through the hassle in finding a new Hub. What a waste of monthly fees with Wink to be just to be knock out. They had better not charge me anymore but I have a feeling their billing system will still work when that time comes!

Rick,

Lifesaver is all I can say. Was about to give up and pay 4-500 for another door set. Thanks from a dad with a headache that is now getting slightly better.

I have an Aeotec Smartthings hub which I successfully paired with the Schage Connect Z Wave Plus lock installed by the home builder. I then purchased and installed a second, identical model lock and for the life of me, I cannot get it to connect. I have tried all of the suggestions in this thread, i.e., moving the hub to within inches of the lock, restoring the lock to factory settings, rebooting the hub, doing a Z Wave exclusion, etc., but nothing has worked. Any help would be appreciated.