Cabinet or lockbox lock and keypad?

Hi, I want to find a Smartthings-controlled lock for a single-door metal cabinet or lockbox. I would also like it to be controlled by either a keypad or qr/barcode scanner.

I was thinking about just using a normal house door lock, but I’d have to do quite a bit more some cutting and metal machining to make that work, and I’d like to avoid that if possible.

Do any of you know some products that could help with this?

1. Yale has one that will work, but by the time you add a keypad you’re talking about maybe $200. It’s an expensive solution, but works out of the box with a lot of features.

1. IKEA has a very inexpensive $20 one that works with NFC cards, but doesn’t work with smartthings.
  1. Zemismart has a Tuya Bluetooth model which should work with the tuya app and you can get some limited Integration with smartthings that way via scenes, but I don’t know exactly how much. So I’m going to list Tuya, but again, I don’t know what integration options it will have. And if you want out of home control as well you will need the Tuya Bluetooth hub also.

To get a keypad that works with it, you would have to go through smartthings, so it’s doable but more expensive

1. if you can find any lock you like that will react to a power cut, then you can just plug it into a smart plug or wire an in-line relay and do it that way.

So there are some options depending on how much work you want to do yourself and how much Integration you need.

@ogiewon or @rboy might have some more ideas.

2 Likes

Sorry my delayed response. Slammed by the flu shortly after posting.

Thanks for the awesome reply. Very helpful.

I found a number of non-smart electronic locks that look pretty good, but they require a fraction of a second “pulse” of 12v in order to open.

I don’t think that turning on and off a smart outlet with smartthings would have the necessary precision, and I’d be worried about burning out the solenoid on those types of locks if 12v is supplied for more than a couple seconds.

Is there a way I can wire some kind of relay to a smart plug so that when it receives power, I can be assured it will only send a short pulse? What do you recommend? Thanks again

1 Like

There are some smart relays which are designed for this kind of momentary/pulse application. A few years ago when most of the cabinet lock project reports were posted in this community, people were mostly using a fortrezz Mimo, but I think now if you are in North America, more people are using Zooz. You can also contact their tech-support for their advice on your project, they are usually very good, although they may be busy for Thanksgiving week.

I was hoping @ogiewon would chime in as well as he might have some other ideas. :sunglasses:

And using virtual momentary from @TAustin you could deliver on signal for a second only, up to your liking.
After set time, it goes to off.

@Oranjoose - Are you a programmer? Have any experience with simple, low voltage electronics?

If so, you could try using my ST_Anything project, as it allows for a simple ESP8266 or ESP32 device to be easily integrated with SmartThings. ST_Anything can easily control the output of a relay, handling the timing locally on the microcontroller.

The only concern I have is that ST_Anything is very much dependent on the legacy Groovy IDE for its DTHs. Once Samsung shuts the Groovy IDE down, ST_Anything will cease to function. I migrated over to Hubitat 3.5+ years ago, and that is where my development and support is now focused.

I think the Zooz solution is probably the simplest, and probably lowest cost option. As long as it handles the relay on-duration timing locally, it would be a very good solution.

1 Like

Wow, that multirelay looks pretty useful. My concern with that thing though would be the timings of the relay, i.e. it can’t be open, sending an electrical signal for more than a second or else the solenoid lock is toast.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this how a setup could work with that multirelay:

• connect one cabinet lock to each output terminal on the multirelay, for a maximum of three locks.

• connect the multirelay to power. However, I’m confused because users say they use their phone chargers for the multirelay. Isn’t USB 5V? But the relay can deliver 12V? I’m guessing there’s a transformer in the multirelay?

• connect the multirelay to a SmartThings hub

• put a wireless z-wave door closed sensor on the inside of each of the three cabinets, but do NOT connect it to the multirelay input, because the inputs are hardwired to the outputs, and so I can’t query them independently unless they are connected wirelessly to the st hub.

• put a zwave keypad on the outside of the cabinets (hypothetically only one would be needed, if the locking and unlocking of the cabinets is handled procedurally by the programmer, right?). The keypad or keypads could be plugged into the inputs of the multirelay, because they are directly connected to the lock opening. But that would only work for three separate keypads (and it’d be nice to only have one).

On that note, are there any z-wave keypads that you folks would recommend? Do they make any that are touchscreen?

• then have some kind of server computer send commands to the ST api in order to program the keypad, and to connect to the multirelay to open the respective cabinet locks.

Again, my concern is the ability to program the multirelay to reliably only open for a split second. I’m not familiar with that Zooz multirelay to know its capabilities.

@ogiewon I am a programmer, and I have some basic experience with light electronics.

I don’t think I’d want to depend on an ST technology that is deprecated. I suppose I could go with Hubitat instead of ST if there’s good reason to do so.

I’d have to have some kind of machine like a Raspberry Pi to receive commands from my server, and then control the z-wave devices locally through the hubitat, right? I want to be able to control these cabinets remotely if necessary.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I’m clearly very green still.

This relay might work better for low voltage

If you went down the ST_Anything or HubDuino route, you would not need any Zigbee or Z-Wave devices. The microcontroller would talk WiFi to the hub, and would be directly wired to the relays.