[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

Well, after much struggling and giving up, I gave a glance at the Device list… LOL Oh look! A “thing”! SmartThings thinks it’s a TV! :slight_smile:

So I need a bit more step by step. I DO know how to install device handlers and all that. I do three device handlers, the three listed up top, correct? Then I just edit the “thing” and make it a KOF Fan, and the others will fall into place?

Answer: There’s TWO, and yes.

I went to click on “fan” and “We need to download an add-on to help you get the most from your thing”
Que?

VICTORY!!!

It appears adding SIXTEEN ZIGBEE REPEATERS worked.

THanks for your help!

2 Likes

Anyone still using this KingOfFan DH? Now that its getting hot I tried to turn on the fan. When I go into the SamrtThings app and click on the fan it says downloading followed with a error that its unable to connect to the device. Checked the Github but dont see any update. Anyone else having issues?

I tried installing for the first time a week ago. Am new to ST and novice at installing handlers, etc. was able to add device, but could control light or fan. I need to visit IDE and tinker. Haven’t taken time to do that yet though.

I assume you meant you could not control the light or fan?

This morning I noticed nothing working in the Smartthings app. They all pretty much do the same thing. Downloading… then connection error. Some prompted that an update was needed but failed. Doesn’t matter if its stock DH or a custom DH. I can still control everything through my smart speakers/Google Home

The original @dalec handler is not compatible with the new app (and the creator is no longer using ST or supporting the handler). If you haven’t already, you should switch to @Rafael_Borja 's handler linked here:

1 Like

Thanks Mark but I’m already running the Rafael handler. As I mentioned in my last post none of my devices in Smartthings are working. My device is a Pixel 2 XL. To eliminate the phone as the problem I installed ST on my work phone with is an iPhone 8 running the latest IOS. Same behavior. Selecting a device in the ST app just says downloading

That is correct, I couldn’t control either.

The latest code update from Rafeal’s handler did not work for me. I posted about this back in January and rolled back to an older version that works fine. Link to the version I have that’s working is here Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller - #1033 by mwav3

3 Likes

I had the same problem. Delete your old fan devices, all the child devices, and the old device handler. Then re-add the fans with the new device handler installed.

Has anyone figured out if there is a LED light replacement for the Hampton Bay Gardinier that will allow us to change the light frequency? The light I got included is a harsh white light and not attractive. Is there a way to replace with a smart bulb or something?

Will there be a DC motor version? Also can you use the module and not the switch?

Great question – unfortunately there are no plans for a DC version right now. I would be curious to understand the demand for a DC version, but from what we looked at in stores, most fans are AC, so we opted for AC only (it was too hard and costly to have an interchangeable version).

As for just using the module, unfortunately this is not possible (man, I am the bearer of bad news today!) as well because the Z-Wave portion lives in the switch itself. The switch sends an RF signal to the module to turn on/off/dim, etc. So, without the switch, there would be no way for the module to receive any signals.

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli on another note, are you guys working on creating Edge drivers?
I do have an older Inovelli dimmer with scenes, that i would hate to loose functioning as is working without any issues (NZW31S).

We definitely are :slight_smile: – we’ve been very close to the engineers over at ST and our CTO is writing the drivers himself (he also wrote the device handlers).

2 Likes

The fan market seems to be slowly switching to DC, so this may be something you want to look into again.

any idea when there will be stock again?

So this had been working for well over a year. Had a power outage at my home and the fans and lights refuse to work. So I try to delete them and re-add them. They no longer show up in the new smarthings app. I can get the light to flash 5 times as it tries to connect. But no devices are showing up in the new smarthings app.

What are they doing over at samsung things always worked under the classic app and this new app has been nothing but headaches.

Has anyone been able to get this to work recently? with the new app?

OK I was able to get things working again. The problem seemed to be my iphone would not display the “Thing” device. No matter how many times I tried. I switched to a samsung tablet I had lying around and was able to connect these back up no problem.

Fingers crossed that somebody will be able to create Edge drivers for these Hampton Bay fan controllers. I use them everyday in several automations and would hate to lose that ability. I unfortunately don’t possess the skills to write them myself, but would be happy to make a donation to anyone that does and would be happy to help out and beta test any code.

3 Likes