SmartThings Community

[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

fan
dth_hvac
  1. Copy the device handler text into a text editor, e.g. Notepad. Search for “zigbee.” (note the dot at the end). Wherever you see an instance, precede that line with “device.endpointId = 1”. There should be seven areas. For example,

device.endpointId = 1
    zigbee.onOffRefresh() + zigbee.levelRefresh() + zigbee.readAttribute(0x0202, 0x0000)

Also, search for the following and give it a unique name

metadata {
    definition (name: “KOF Zigbee Fan Controller”,…

2. Create and publish a new Device Handler with the modified text from Step 1.

3. Create your fan device manually and choose the new device handler for your device. You’ll also need your Device Network ID (dni) and Zigbee ID (d) from the zbjoin event which you can get from Hub Events (Go to “My Hubs”, click “List Events”). If you don’t see the zbjoin event, reset and pair the fan controller again. You should see it now.

4. Make sure the light child device uses the original child device handler and has the same Device Network ID as the parent (with “-light” appended to it).

Assuming your fan is paired and the above is complete, it should work.

1 Like
(Cadocomp) #694

@sblock23 - Thank you for taking the time to reply and give me some advice. I know you probably have better things to do, but your help is much appreciated.
After 4+ hours of trying, I could not get this to work.
I created a copy of the KOF device handler and added the device.endpointId = 1 to the line above all seven sections that have the Zigbee. statement in them, and created a new device handler with this modified copy.
I manually added a device and used the Device Network ID and Zigbee ID, which was easy found as you directed in your post.
I can see the new Fan and child devices in my ST app, but cannot control the physical unit, and its not showing the correct device status in the app either. When I go to the events of this new fan device, I do see the logs correctly display my actions in the app (Turn On, Off, Refresh, etc), but nothing happens to the physical device.

I still don’t understand how I had this working for years, and after removing the device, not able to re-add or add a new fan.
Here is the modified code I used: https://github.com/cadocomp/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/KOF_Modified

I hope this is something blatantly obvious that I am doing wrong. I guess I can post some screenshots/video clips of what I actually see.

(Big Hoss) #695

I installed my 2nd fan controller tonight… When I went to add it to smart things it showed up as thing. I had a little trouble logging into the IDE which was odd to me but OK whatever. I went in and simply selected the DTH and restarted smart things. Works exactly how I expect it to.

I have one controller left in my inventory to install and I have 4 more fans to control but 3 of them need to be replaced. 1 of them is a hugger style that just isn’t compatible in 2 of them have bed wobbles to them. 1 of them I got the wobble out but the bracket that mounts with is completely incompatible I would have to basically get a Hampton Bay downright assembly same fit the collar and the hangar assembly so that I could make this work. It is a possibility because my wife and I both like the looks of this 1 fan. The other fan screens 1980s as it is polished brass and cut glass.

The funny thing is the one fan that I don’t really need to replace my wife wants to because it’s just a plain white fan.

I have seen folks here say they need to “republish” their DTHs, not only for this one, but for other custom DTHs. I am assuming since mine are working I don’t need to… Any idea what happened to cause this for other folks?

(Cadocomp) #696

For anyone else following this thread, @sblock23 was spot on! I also had the Device ID and Zigbee ID reversed, which obviously was never going to work, but the above instructions should get you squared away.

(Mr3li3) #697

Im not sure at all what the problem was besides maybe a ST issue in itself. prior to my recent conundrum id been running the same DTH since it was upgraded to BETA. I thought it was related to trying to add it to an Nvidia ST link but it did the same thing when i repaired to my original v2 hub.

(Big Hoss) #698

I’ve heard it mentioned with other DTHs recently which is why I asked. I am not seeing the problem even when I added say the second Hampton Bay controller…