[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

Just to be clear, having your hub on a UPS won’t stop the device from getting disconnected after a power outage. The issue is the interrupted power to the device, not the hub.

I kinda figured it but at least the Hubs will have a little extra lightning protection.

yep loose antenna caused connection issues

I have spent about 20 hours trying to get the DH and App to work.

I bought and installed this “3 speed” fan

When I find the device on Classic App, it comes up as Think and type Think. I change it on the IDE to the parent . “KOF Zigbee Fan Controller”

When I open the think in classic it only has the fan Control. It only allows me to turn off and on. The child never loads. I did the Gear>rename>Tick delete & recreate child then save. but it still doesn’t change. I don’t have the child in device.

I can provide screen shots, but first is there a different repo I should pull from if my fan is only 3 speeds. I really wanted to figure this out but its been 3 months of trying and I need help.

Something is off about the way you installed it, or you misunderstood the product directions. Place your fan in high manually, and leave it there. The speed control is no longer managed by the fan but by the controller, and it provides the 4 speeds + the Comfort Breeze setting.

I should have bookmarked my post where I wrote up the process in a fairly straight forward “anyone can follow this” sort of howto on installing and configuring the DTH, but let’s boil it down.

Follow the instructions linked in probably the first or second post in this thread on how to get the DTH, and how to install it / publish it to yourself from within the IDE. Stay logged into the IDE, and go to your classic app, and assuming you haven’t yet installed the device, put the controller in pairing mode by flipping the switch on and off for about 2 seconds each time 5 times, the lights will flash, then from classic app, go to things >> add a thing and let it search. It should come back with “Buscop SmartPower” or something similar. Once you get that, go back to the IDE, and find Buscop SmartPower or whatever it found it as, and change the device type to “KOF Zigbee Fan Controller”. Save all of this work, and exit the classic app and restart it. This should force the app to reinventory your devices. Now scroll down to “KOF Zigbee Fan Controller” should see the child devices for the light, and fan speeds. Rename this to whatever you want and enjoy…

Had trouble pairing it so used the main on-off switch and then tried. Finally able to pair it. The Smart App is great. However, a question: my fan came with lights. Is there any way to expose the lights so that they can be controlled using smart app like smart lighting for example? When I tried to, i.e. use the smart lighting its able to detect it but turning on both the lights and the fan.
In dev portal I have all 3 device handlers installed correctly.

1 Like

Mine automatically created the DTH for the lights, and they can be controlled independent of the fan itself. Do you have any child devices listed?

I have been using the KOF controller for about a year and a half now. Honestly when it works it’s great but it stops working about once or twice a month. Then I have to reinstall the device and controller, set my scenes back up and go from there. Honestly why isn’t there a better solution? Why hasn’t Samsung started proper support for this kind of device? Better yet why haven’t they come up with their own device with better support and sell it directly?

Do you have a Zigbee repeater (like a Securifi Peanut Plug) in the same room as the Hamton Bay Fan Controller (HBFC)? If not, get one and you’ll be amazed at how much more stable it will become. Also, some users have found the Zigbee antenna connector inside the unit to either be loose or completely disconnected.

The problems with this device losing its connection is not a SmartThings issue, it is a hardware issue with the HBFC.

1 Like

What you said. I have zero problems with mine, but every location that the controllers are located in have Ikea Tradfri Wireless Control Outlets (smart plugs) that are also ZigBee repeaters within a few feet of the fan.

I literally have 2 more fans to get these controllers for, but so far once the setup was done, nothing but a fantastic experience…

I have the wifi mesh hub from samsung. I have two fans, and a hub with an unblocked line of sight to both at a range of less than 10 ft.
I mean I love the idea of this technology but the company manufacturing these must not have a QC department lol.

1 Like

Until you add a repeater, they will not be stable. Many folks have said the exact same thing as you…“My hub is in the same room, but the HBFC still drops off” - Trust everyone who has gone before you and just add a $15 Securifi Peanut Plug to the room with the fan. You’ll be happy you did.

1 Like

ill try it out.

1 Like

Handler works great when it works. But every time there is a power outage the KOF controllers stop working. I have not been able to get it to work again since the last power outage. I deleted the devices in ST. My fan is hard wired so I flipped the circuit breaker five times. The fan light does not flash to indicate pairing mode. The only thing I have accomplished is frying my computer UPS by flipping the breaker so many times. What am I doing wrong?

The mistake was buying the product. Oh and the fan is 3 speed, thats what it says on the box on the website.

I have followed the instructions DOZEN of times.

Please don’t reply to you nothing you said was helpful.

Telling people to follow directions when they did so many times and I had 3 other people look and try incase I was missing something.

But again don’t reply to people your horribly condescending and offensive.

its people like you that have me moving away from smart things.

Oh and it never came up as BUSCOP Smart poer or anything like that. IT comes u as “thing” and I selected “KOF Zigbee Fan Controller”

My question was if there is a different device handler for fans that only have 3 speeds. Simple question.

It does not matter how many speeds your fan was originally capable of. You set the fan speed to its highest setting using the pull chain.

Then, once the HBFC is installed, it will adjust the amount of power delivered to the Fan to control speed. The orginal fan’s speed settings are immaterial at this point, as long as you leave the orginal fan speed on high.

It is possible that your particular fan may not be compatible with the HBFC.

Agreed this is key. Samsung just needs to close down smart things so we all move to something better. It should be SO easy for a single samsung employee to add this product, most of the work is done. Instead we all have to try to jump through hoops and it still doesn’t work for many many many people. I am going to buy a zigbee controller and just sell this fan controller to someone.

https://www.amazon.com/Securifi-compatible-Remotely-Monitor-Appliances/dp/B00TC9NC82

Is that the plug? I have a number of other zigbee devices so I might as well get it and try to find a use for it.

Yes, that is one common, inexpensive Zigbee repeater that many have successfully used with the HBFC. There are probably others that work as well, but I only have first-hand experience with the Securifi Peanut plug and the Lowes Iris 3210-L outlets. I have both in the same room, so I don’t really know which one is being used by the HBFC to improve its connection stability.

Ok cool I just wanted to make sure I was using the correct device handler. Well as the link shows the fan came with the HBFC and the remote works just fine. I can get the thing to install but can’t get the child device to install. Id love to get it working but, but I spent too much time on it already. Sometimes you just have to admit you made a mistake, cut your loss and move on. Im pretty sure that is what most people have done here.