[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

Version v.02 is out with the following changes

Fix for events being created every minute on the device history
Fix for duplicated events
Fix for linking light when changing speed
Changes in config preferences (Thanks @CovertJaguar)
Fix for legacy preference of dimmer as fan control
Updated validation scenario for version V.02
Minor clean up and logs

Contributions via PR are very welcomed at https://github.com/rafaelborja/SmartthingsKingOfFansZigbee

Best regards!

3 Likes

To @mejifair

One solution to integrate with harmony is creating a virtual button or switch and an automation that triggers an automation on the fan like the following:

1 Like

Thanks - turns out you can’t create virtual switches in the new app, so I need to reinstall the old app, create some switches and then configure them in the new app.

Can you please create a new thread rather than hijacking this one? It will make tracking so much easier. Thanks!

1 Like

Have you made sure you set the control mode to “FAN” in advanced settings? I believe you can then control it a variety of ways

Hello Rafael,

(Sorry that this is also posted in another thread. It’s not active like this one. This message has been slightly edited.)

Samsung forced me over to the new app a couple of weeks ago (nightmare). I began using your new King of Fans device handlers at that time and they worked fine.

After I upgraded to your new DH version a couple of nights ago the lights on two fans - without touching any physical switch or the app - started coming on. While on they pulse, dimming down and then back up. If you turn the lights off on the app they come back on, on their own, within a few minutes. The light comes back on even after the child device is deleted. The only way to turn the lights off and keep them off is by using the wall switch, which disables the fan.

We’re using the Hampton Bay controllers. So far I’ve seen this occur on two of the eight fans we have, but I’ve only been able to get four of eight to re-pair after deleting the old KOF DH.

I’ve tried deleting and re-adding the (working) fans from scratch using your DH without solving the issue.

Thanks for all of your hard work on the new DH.

Do you have any of the old child devices in use in any automatons, scenes, smartapps, WebCore, or voice assistant?

Just wanted to say I installed the new DTH, swapped DTHs in Devices (forgot what that screen is called), and everything seems to be working fine. Now I need to see how well it integrates with Webcore (I’ve used up my Heoturko hours, so I need to wait until Sept 1st.)

I’m planning to switch over to Hubitat soon (maybe this weekend, if it comes in soon enough). Does your new DTH work with Hubitat, or should I install the old one again for that?

I think you have to use Hubtat one based on the old one.

1 Like

The old device handlers appear to have been the problem. While I had some controllers on the old code and some on the new code I had issues. I deleted the old device handlers completely from the IDE and then did the re-pair procedure and that resolved things.

1 Like

@Rafael_Borja I just sent a PR that would allow your DTH to enable breeze mode on these fans when you set the dimmer to 1% on the slider, or by asking google/Alexa to set the fan to 1%. It also includes a math calculation update that corrects an issue where the light would change while controlling the fan dimmer sometimes. That math calculation issue was pointed out by @JakeEvan

1 Like

Hubitat has a built in DH for the Hampton Bay Fan controller and it works quite well. No need to port a DTH from Smartthings.

1 Like

I switched to new version, adjusted slider to control fan, but Alexa still struggled to respond properly from voice commands.

I would double check the preferences in the IDE for dimmer as fan control. The DTH changed how that worked several times and sometimes old values stick in there. It should look like the screenshot below. If there’s “extra stuff”, edit the device preferences from the IDE, clear it all out, then go back in the app and select use dimmer as fan control. If that still doesn’t work, I would temporarily set the device to a stock fan handler, delete the entire DTH, and then add it back in and select it to the fan again. If that still doesn’t work, you may have to delete and re-add the device, or try and copy some logs for why it’s not setting.

1 Like

Sorry to bug, but is there a new version of this controller, or are we all still using dcoffing’s original KOF-CeilingFan that hasn’t been updated for 3 years?

I’m asking you @adrian97c because you mention a new version.

To be clear, I"m on ST not Hubitat

(Edit for clarity)

Yes, there is a new version that works great in the new app here https://github.com/rafaelborja/SmartthingsKingOfFansZigbee

1 Like

Super great. This new version has addressed some unsolvable problems for me. Thank you for the info

And thank you all for the work!

Just be aware for me, I can’t get Alexa to turn on using a specific setting (Alexa turn on fan at 75%), I’m thinking of going back to the old handler :worried:

Everything looks same… I might try to delete whole device & start from scratch like you mentioned. This will be my last effort before going back to old handler. Thx for the suggestions