[BETA] GE 14287 Z-Wave Plus 3-Speed Fan Control With Double Tap

Darn, can you check the IDE and see if it shows “number of buttons:2” or is it saying 1? Mine is showing 2.

Also, maybe if you apply this DTH first https://github.com/nuttytree/Nutty-SmartThings/pull/11 (even though its the wrong switch), then try changing it to the updated one I posted, maybe that will “refresh it”?

If not I may have to try and go back to the drawing board. Its possible this switch uses the newer scene control associations for double tap like the 14318/46562 and if so the code I pulled out from the older switches won’t work. Hopefully it’s a start at least if anyone else has ideas/input?

Ok looking at the Zwave alliance’s info on all the certified fan controllers https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/33/products my DTH “should” (emphasis on should) work with the 14287 but probably not the newer 55258. I took out the code about tile definitions because that’s what the classic app used, but that code might still actually be necessary (Groovy still needing the info for taking class definitions from it somehow and stuff). @MarkTr when you check the IDE and test it later let me know if it’s still not working and I’ll give another code update to try. Appreciate you testing this out for me and everyone.

Unfortunately I’m not able to do any testing with this at the moment; we took the fan switch offline in my daughter’s room, after rearranging to set up a desk put her loft bed too close to the fan blades. I have one in my other daughter’s room but the double tap feature is something we use daily; everything there is working fine as long as I don’t touch it, so I’m going to keep my hands off it for the moment. If something breaks or if being able to control it through the app becomes crucial I’ll start looking at it again.

1 Like

Yeah you definitely don’t want to break it if its working. I just updated the code to add some more settings if anyone else wants to give it a try.

@mwav3 I am happy to take over testing this for you. Right now I have the parent and child 14287 version installed and I can get it to start/stop by alexa and turn on via new ST app but can’t turn it off or change speeds in new ST app. IF you can clarify the process you want me to test I’ll do it tonight.

Tim, when I try to paste that into a new device controller I get this error “Org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed: script_dth_metadata_05893bad_61dd_4c72_9720_b7745a17a4ea: 1: unexpected token: ** @ line 1, column 1. ** ^ 1 error” - confused why I don’t see a “raw” button to eliminate all the other text that isn’t part of the code.

When I tried to link to your code to try the DTH for myself I received error 404 apparently the code is not there any longer.

I’d love to help more with this.

I still have the fan DTH up this should link to the raw code https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mwav3/smartthingscode/master/devicetypes/mwav3/ge-fan-switch.src/ge-fan-switch.groovy

If you continue to get those odd errors try a different web browser then the one you’re using to add the code to the IDE and apply it.

Edit- child device for Alexa control should no longer be necessary with this handler, but let me know if it’s working.

A user Skates1616 on Github confirmed my DTH is working for fan control and double tap. Available here https://github.com/mwav3/smartthingscode/blob/master/devicetypes/mwav3/ge-fan-switch.src/ge-fan-switch.groovy or import from mwav3 smartthingscode master

1 Like

Yes, it is working.

This weekend, I ran into a weird issue though, and honestly I do not know if its beta firmware related. The DTH would turn on the fan/control the fan, but the status was not updated within the new app.

I will play with it a bit more today and get back to you. I do have the correct model/version of the switch.

I forgot to add the polling capability. Just updated the code to add it so hopefully that fixes the incorrect status it if you want to try and update to the new version.

1 Like

Will play with this tonight when I get home and get back to you. Will also try double tap functionality.

Ok if something doesn’t work right, can you post a screenshot of the live log from the IDE to the issue page on GitHub? It’s tough to troubleshoot when I don’t have the switch. Hopefully all is working ok though.

Definitely some issues, I posted a summary along with live log on GitHub.

Ok I was using the default samsung zwave fan DTH to make modifications for this GE fan to support double tap. That DTH also works with Leviton 4 speed fans so I was trying to prune out some of that unnecessary Leviton code for this DTH. Apparently I pruned too much and other parts of that code still rely on those methods.

Added them back in and that should resolve the errors from your logs. Thanks for this info, I think we’re making progress. If you want to give the updated code a try hopefully it works better this time.

1 Like

Will try tonight and get back to you.

1 Like

Noticed two things:

When I set the fan speed to max, it returns itself to high.

The dimmer % does not change no matter the speed of the fan, it remains at 0%.

Ok first is expected, the max will return to high as the ge fan only supports 3 speeds, but the stock fan slider supports 4.

The dimmer not changing could be an issue. If you side the dimmer, does the fan respond? Does it respond from “set level” commands from your voice assistant?

Hey @skates, I think I might have found the bug with the dimmer % if you want to give that a try. Thanks again for your feedback.

The forum just electronically notified me I’m posting too much on this topic, lol, so probably best we just keep our debug conversation on Github until its all fixed.

1 Like

Works! Only thing not tested is double tap yet!

2 Likes

So I installed this DH and it’s working good. I got double tap working but it seems like double top UP and DOWN are both the same button. Is that correct and how it’s suppose to be? I can’t find any other option besides “PRESSED” in ST automations. Perhaps I need to use Smart Lighting for Button 1 / 2?