Best way to control ceiling fan with lights from always on power (Honeywell 40015 receiver/remote)

I currently have a ceiling fan with lights hooked up to constant power supply. I am using a Honeywell 40015 remote and canopy receiver to control.

What is the best/cheapest way to get Smart Things (ST)/Alexa control with this setup? Hack the honeywell controller (sounds complicated)? Replace the canopy controller with something that is ST compatible?

If replacing the canopy receiver is the easiest way to go, which model should I get? It would be better to still have a remote afterwords, but if it leaves just Alexa/ST control, I guess that would be ok too, just not ideal.

Thanks!

I’ve got 3 of these Hampton Bay Wink controllers and they work great. Goes into the canopy has RF remote and a zigbee antenna. They’re usually not in stock at Home Depot, but they have been for the last few days- so I’d recommend ordering.

There’s several threads about them, if you want to read up:

1 Like

I read that link, but it sounded like it needed custom code to work. Does it need customization, or will it work with ST right out of the box? Does it need an a wink hub, or is the ST hub all I need?

Thanks.

You don’t need a Wink hub at all, it works directly with ST. But you will need to install the custom device handler one of our forum members created (that’s the link at the bottom of my post)

If you haven’t done that yet - it’s really not hard at all. There are ton of walkthroughs on how to do it. Takes just a few minutes.

If you have any problems, just ask me or any of the other board members for help - that’s honestly the best thing about the community here.

I’m sorry, I still don’t see the link. Can you point me there again? Thanks!

OK, I found a link describing how to do it (FAQ: An Overview of Using Custom Code in SmartThings), but wanted to make sure I will install the most recent custom device handler. Thanks.

1 Like

No problem. If you have any trouble, feel free to post your questions. I’m happy to help.

1 Like

I placed an order for the remote/receiver. HD stated in stock, and I should receive it in a few days.

When I save the KOF-CeilingFan code, it shows this error message on the top:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script_app_metadata_8cfd10a7_15e3_4a50_9dbb_80ecf5bdfb43.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script_app_metadata_8cfd10a7_15e3_4a50_9dbb_80ecf5bdfb43$_run_closure1) values: [script_app_metadata_8cfd10a7_15e3_4a50_9dbb_80ecf5bdfb43$_run_closure1@2ee08bc6]
Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Sorry to be a bother. I added code under “My SmartApps”. Oops. When I add under “My Device Handlers” I don’t get an error and it publishes fine. It does not show up on my mobile app however. How long does it take before it shows up?

Also, if I select “My Hubs” it states “You don’t have any hubs yet. Please use the Smartthings mobile app to claim your hub”. But my mobile app works fine. Is this a problem?

Similarly, there is nothing under “My Devices” as well.

Thanks for your patience

If you follow the steps and the device handler to your IDE - it will show up when you put the device in pairing mode and add it to SmartThings in the mobile app.

Not sure about the “My Hubs” thing.

I’ll take a look at my IDE setup when I get home after work and see if I can help you out.

1 Like

Good deal. Thanks. No hurry, as it will take several days at least before I have the receiver. Have a Merry Christmas, if I don’t get the unit and/or repost before then.

Ok, I got fan receiver/remote and installed it in fan. Couldn’t get it to “add thing” in ST. However, when I turned off my circuit breaker and back on, fan lights three times and ST app found “Thing”. I renamed it to “Ceiling Fan”. On “My Home” it lists it as “Tiles Missing”.

On IDE website I’ve add the three device handlers.

However, it still shows nothing under “My Hubs” or “My Devices”

But my ST mobile app is working fine, so I don’t understand.

Can you point me in the direction of what I’m doing wrong? Thanks

Got it to work. In IDE there are two ways to log on, either with ST or Samsung login. When I logged in with Samsung instead of ST, it showed my device, and I was able to re-add the three device handlers and assign them to the ceiling fan (which did show up on My Devices).

Then it was a simple matter to add appropriate Groups and Rooms in ST app and Alexa App.

Thanks, so much!

1 Like

Room question: I have the ceiling fan and a table lamp and desk lamp, etc. that I have assigned to “Living Room”. When I tell Alexa “Turn on Living Room Lights”, it will turn on all the lights AND the fan. Then I have to tell her “Turn off ceiling fan”. Is there a command that will just turn on all the lights, and not the fan, or would your code have to be modified for that? (Do I need to post this question as a new question)?

Thanks.

I realize that this is a very old thread. The way to do a ceiling fan & light is the ifan02 from sonoff. Has remote and wifi works with Alexa and Google home.

This forum is for people who are using the Samsung SmartThings I Home Automation platform. Consequently all questions and answers will be in the context of that platform.

While there is a way to use the sonoff ifan02 with SmartThings, it is very technical and the setup is quite complex. See the following thread for discussion.

Sonoff Light/Fan controller

There are much easier methods with devices that can be integrated more smoothly with SmartThings. See the community FAQ on fans and lights… (although the thread title mentions ALEXA, it applies to any fan/light SmartThings set up.)

FAQ: 2020 Ceiling Fan and Dimmer light wall mount control compatible with SmartThings and Alexa?

Thank you. I will give that a try and throw the Honeywell receiver in the trash. Thanks!