Best way to control a 4 way switch using z-wave

Hello!

I just purchased a smart things hub and have replaced most of my light switches with Zooz Zen-24 switches with ease. However I am now running into an issue, My last three switches are wired with line on one end and load on the other (see below). This will not work with the Zen-24. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best route to go so that all 3 switches will still work as manual switches and also have z-wave control over the lights?

I have been looking at the GE switches however for the 6 switches I will need this is going to be far to costly. Any other alternatives that will not break the bank would be awesome.
4way_switch_alt

I just did a 3-way switch installation (GE) for a friend and how it done is that they turn it into a 1way switch and then use the other switches as dummy switches that control the main switch.

So the master is where the line is coming in and you just pass through the power right to the light so its only controlled by the master. Then one of the travelers is used so the slave switch can communicate with the master and trigger it to turn off and on.

I don’t know if this setup would work in 4 way setups though as it only has one traveller for the communication.

However, what you could do is create a single master where the line comes in and pass through the load all the way to the light so the master controls it. And in the other 2 locations add some smart switches that don’t control anything (just need the line and neutral). Then use automation so that if any of the swithces are turned on then all are turned on and vice versa. This should get you what you want if you don’t find a real 4 way solution.

I also saw this thread which had some details.

I just installed a Zooz 3way dinner into a 4way switch configuration. Works awesome AND I didn’t need additional zwave controllers as I could use the existing 3way and 4way switches.

I think the Zooz would work with this wiring by connecting the black wires in the two auxiliary boxes together. This would extend the load to the main box without passing through a switch. Then the two auxiliary switches are wired in parallel with the red and white wires.