Best sensor for laundry monitoring?

I just looked through many threads about laundry monitoring and could not come to a conclusion:

Is there any conventional wisdom about the best sensor to use for this? A vibration sensor ought to work for me, both my appliances are quite wobbly :/. But it seems like people are using a multi-sensor for that that wastes all of its capabilities except for the vibration sensing. Am I missing a dedicated vibration sensor?

My experience with the Aeon Smart Sensing Outlet is that it’ll probably work if you don’t mind your notification being late. The Power value is very slow to update, I think it’s a licensing issue is what I’ve heard as Aeon wants a cut for live data. I could be totally wrong. This is the app it would work with.

2 Likes

Good question. I don’t have any good info for you, but I am interested in the responses. My wife and I tend to leave clothes in the washer for too long and have to rewash them :grimacing:.

I thought there was a stock SmartApp that used acceleration capability. Maybe it’s community made.

How late are we talking?

This solution looks good to me, and is a bit cheaper than the multi-sensors.

Definitely anything that does power sensing.

Might be a minute? Nothing crazy…

I have one of each of these for my washer and dryer:

This one updates every second…

This one every minute or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSC06106-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Energy/dp/B007UZH7B8

2 Likes

Wow I’m jealous. I wonder how the ST branded one does, looks the same.

Are there any power sensors for 220V dryers though?

they’re basically the same device from what I understand

Looks identical. Good to know.

Why doesn’t this work??