Best Prices on Energy-Reading Plugs or Switches

Like @TexAMR said, I have one on my stove, dryer, whole panel, and one on a 110v line that’s split for my freezer. Work for WAY more than just whole panel monitoring.

1 Like

@TexAMR
Great idea were can i find that custom DHT

I actually haven’t done it yet, just know that others have. It is on my to do list. @michaelahess, do you know the custom DH that splits?

If you’re willing to go with an open box / refurb device, here’s the same Aeon unit you have now: ($19.99)

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/brands/aeotec/z-wave-smart-switch-open-box

Otherwise I’d recommend the Iris smart plugs.

Not sure, I think I found it once but never used it. Search hem dht or the model number here in the forums, might come up.

I believe this is the one that I have seen used.

I would give it a try, but unfortunately, I blew up my HEM the other day. Not exactly sure what I did, other than turning the breaker on and off that I had its 110 plug hooked up to.

1 Like

Thank you.
I just ordered another and i will give this a try when it gets here.
I do recall seing this dth before but i never did try it because the original worked fine for me at that time.

Ok @johnconstantelo what DTH are you using for Aeon that give max power used? I get current and KWH , not highest reading.

Hi @RLDreams,

It’s one I put together a while back that’s based off of my HEM v1 DH. It also also allows you to tweak reporting parameters, and enable/disable debug mode and disable the on/off switch for when it’s used in applications where you don’t want someone to turn it off.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-aeon-metering-switch.src/my-aeon-metering-switch.groovy

Good morning :smile:

PSA: This code is configured for 240v per line, for loads like a clothes dryer or HVAC unit. To monitor 120v loads plugged into wall outlets the voltage parameter will need to be changed to “120” in the code.

1 Like

You’re referring to DTH from @johnconstantelo?

No it’s regarding post 14 about the HEM and readings from separate clamps.

1 Like

Good, I’m using your DTH on my HEM to monitor my washer, and it seems to work great. Thanks for putting it together!

Oh that’s for HEM, I thought it was for the appliance module in same post. I keep thinking about getting HEMs for clothes dryers ,but always another more pressing project.

Oh no, that link I posted is for my Aeon appliance module/switch . I used my code from the HEM to put that together. Sorry if that confused folks.

I just went to test this as I only have one HEM doing 110/120v. I plugged my Kill-A-Watt in, then an Iris plug, then the extension cord with the load that the HEM is reading. Results are:

6w       Kill-A-Watt
7.1w     Iris Plug
11.44w   HEM

Would doing this change alter my readings for the better? I obviously can’t use the Kill-A-Watt or Iris plugs to test the 220/240v devices I have, so maybe all of them are reading a bit high…

1 Like

It be interesting to know if the variation is consistent with different loads.

I’ll keep an eye on it. Currently all three meters are reading load from the HEM itself, a freezer that cycles once every hour and a half or so, a garage door opener and a GoControl garage door controller.

I’m curious what the motor load from the freezer will do mostly…

And the freezer just fired up:

94w Kill-A-Watt
93.7w Iris Plug
88.66w HEM

So an inductive load measures less on HEM than a resistive load…?

2 Likes

Did you figure anything else out related to this?