Best On-Wall Multi Button Controller for ST?

(Wil Schroter) #1

I’d like to put in a 4-button (or more!) on-wall controller. Anyone find one that’s actually beautiful? I saw one from GE and it looked like a product GE would make (as in not beautiful!)

In lieu of beautiful I would appreciate any suggestions outside of GE.

First thing is finding one that works with ST. ST is certified at the Basic (zwave terminology) but not above, so not all wall controllers work with it. There are no official “works with SmartThings” wall controllers at this time.

The only wall controller with more than 4 buttons that I’ve seen people report that works is the Enerwave SC7. But other people have said they couldn’t get it to work for them. So not quite sure what’s going on there.

That said, another alternative is a dashboard app on an inexpensive wall mounted tablet. A couple of community members have written them, and some are really slick looking.

(Matt) #3

For a 4 Button you have this one with community created device type.

If you want more buttons here is a 7 button, also community created device type.

And here’s another topic that discusses the options with some pictures:

(Sam) #5

Where might I find a wall-mount cradle for remotes? It would be nice to store the remote in this cradle, and be able to remove it when I’d like it to be portable. The other issue is for it to be good-looking too for your house, yet simple constructed. I envision a simple white plastic housing where I can slide it in/out from the top. Thanks.

(Ron S) #6

@Mike_Maxwell’s shots today! I would have voted it to be the best looking and am sure most functional! I am so dreaming jealous!

@smart Pardon my ignorance but what are you referring to? :confused:

Legrande of Australia has the adorne line of zigbee devices. Very modern looking. Unfortunately, they use a proprietary zigbee which is not compatible with smartthings or any other manufacturer. However, @Mike_Maxwell has developed a method for reusing The adorne hardware as a momentary switch when combined with a Z wave relay like that from aeotec.

Note that this is quite an expensive switch by the time you’re done, but aesthetically very appealing. One of Mike’s examples includes a four gang switch. I believe that’s what @smart was referring to.

(Mike Maxwell) #9

I should point out that the switches, are the normal adorne toggle paddles, at about $5 US each, which I modified to be momentary (though that modification is not required to work with the aeon modules)
@JDRoberts is correct, this is not the least expensive way to go. But we were on about bling no?

That is sweet, thanks for the info guys…

(Ule) #11

the Leviton VRCS4 can control 4 buttons plus dimmer each scene, I use the scene controller with my speakers,
button 1 , play/ stop , stop all, dimmers: next track, previous track, and stop all.
button 2 mute/Unmute, mute all, dimmers: vol up ,vol down
button 3 allow message/ do not disturb / etc, allow messages, dimmers: next container,previous container
button 4 lights on/lights off, all lights off, dimmer up, down
dimmers without selection play message ‘time to eat’ in all speakers, play message 'time to sleep’
You have many options
with this scene controller you can have 18 different states

@JDRoberts, so you were able to fit the Aeon micro switches inside the electrical boxes with the Legrand switches? I was thinking of doing the same thing but wasn’t sure if the micro switch would fit as the Legrand switches are fairly large.

@Mike_Maxwell is the one who’s done this, not me. :sunglasses:

Oops, so @Mike_Maxwell, you were able to fit the Aeon micro switches inside the electrical boxes with the Legrand switches? I was thinking of doing the same thing but wasn’t sure if the micro switch would fit as the Legrand switches are fairly large.

(Mike Maxwell) #15

Yes, no issues with the normal 3" deep electrical boxes.
Most of them ended up in the box sideways, on the side with out the romex entry points.
I’ve got 25 of these in my house behind the Legrand Adorne paddles.

(Rodrigo Cuadros) #16

What aeon micro did you use with momentary switches? I have momentary switches and would love to use them!!!

(Mike Maxwell) #17

All the aeon micro products (including dimmers) work with both momentary and standard toggles.

(Rodrigo Cuadros) #18

Thanks!! Did you use any custom device type or just the official?

(Mike Maxwell) #19

I use one I wrote, the official one doesn’t report device state changes as fast as the device is capable of, and mine also includes the ability to change the attached switch type in the preferences.

(Rodrigo Cuadros) #20

Awesome!! Need to increase WAF and the momentary switches are a plus

Thanks!!