Basis Peak Integration, is it worth it?

I’m a proud Basis Peak user and part time SmartThings developer. I have been wanting to integrate the 2 for a while and started looking into wether or not it can be done. After a few hrs of futz’ing around i know it can be done and that i can make it happen. After looking at all the data i can have access to and knowing how the basis peak works i’m faces with a serious dilemma. Just because i can, doesn’t always mean i should.

With the Basis Peak i have access to heart rate, step counts, automated sleep/awake status, galvanic skin response and calories burned, but none of the data is real time and all of the use cases i had before i bought the watch i now know i can achieve in real time with other simpler devices.

As long winded as all of this is, what i’m looking for is… How would Basis Peak integration with SmartThings make a community members lives better? If you had delayed access to any of this data about you or a loved one, how would you use it?

I know of two typical use cases where archived data makes sense to me. That doesn’t mean there aren’t a lot of others that wouldn’t make sense to the people using them I’m just saying these are the two where I can see having the archive data makes a lot of sense.

First is for people who actually train their bodies for a specific sport. Whether it’s running a marathon, national championship table tennis, or boxing, tuning your body to peak efficiency specific to that sport is a process where you do something for awhile, measure the results, analyze them, and then try something else. So archive data is very valuable. You’re not making on-the-fly adjustments. You’re testing specific techniques over a fairly long period of time.

Second, completely different kind of situation, is for someone who is learning how to manage anxiety through CBT or other procedural approaches. Whether it’s general anxiety, a specific phobia, or PTSD, both heart rate and galvanic skin response are typical laboratory measurements. So if you can take that out into the field, and again do it over a period of time which is then reviewed, in these cases probably with a therapist, that could be very useful data. Just like the marathon runner, we’re looking less for minute by minute adjustments than we are for the effectiveness of one technique vs another (or for improvement in applying one technique) over multiple situations and a relatively long period of time.

There are some other “peak performance” situations where an approach similar to the management of anxiety could be useful, but people tend to be less scientific about those. Pretty much anything that would benefit from meditation practice. For example musical performance, public speaking, a salesperson making cold calls, etc. But again, most people don’t invest the same amount of time and analysis into these as the first two categories.

But while I see a usefulness for archived data, I don’t really see how that would fit into an ST integration, which seems to me more suited to real time events.

While I like those ideas, my concern is that the ST interface may simply not be designed for this purpose. As many of us know already, it’s UI is not the greatest for HA,

However, I can see cases where we are not looking at discovering data. Say when you get up in the morning and start walking it sets the house into wakeup mode.

Setting the house in night mode when you go back to sleep. Maybe even do special events based on the time, like obviously if late at night or early in the morning (3:00 am) you might want to just turn on the lights in the bedroom and bathroom. If more is needed the end user can adjust accordingly.

If it has data on the body, such as blood pressure or heart rate then react to that. Also I could see this being good for elderly patients that may need help,

But really, if you can expose the data, and allow users to design triggers around it that would be awesome. I have a pebble time that I use the ST app with, and it has been very nice. I would love to tie that into waking moments and health data myself.

Is this not available in real time? That would actually be useful for automating a wake up routine.

This was my original use case and honestly my entire reason for buying the watch, but the data is not real time. I don’t consider it to be an issue for going to bed but waking up is a different story. I have been awake for 30min - 1hr before my watch sync’ed up with my phone and then to the cloud that i’m awake. Then there is IOS shutting down apps when they haven’t been in use for a while. I don’t want to have to reopen the Basis app every morning just so smarthings knows i’m awake. No, its not that bad but it does happen enough. Also earlier in the year i added a pressure sensor to my front door mat and i’ve been really happy with the results. So happy i’m planning on adding a pressure sensor under my mattress or fitted sheet to do the whole sleep/awake detection thing in realtime. I really considered just exposing the data and allowing users to “do what they will” with it but my sticking point and part of the reason i posted this question is… How many Smartthings users also own a basis peak and how would they use the data, so i would have motivation to code it. Coding is something i have to be really motivated and inspired to do and normally i only code for me and killing my use case with a better method also killed all motivation. So i’m looking for it externally. Some amazing use case i haven’t thought of and may never use but would really help someone else out.

I guess the one thing I can think of where an ST integration might be useful is when you’re shifting a routine based on the previous week’s averages. Maybe just to see if it helps.

So lowering the thermostat 2 degrees after the nightstand lights go out (indicating the person is now in bed) based on not meeting sleep targets the previous week.

Or dimming a particular light 50% and shutting off power to the TV 15 minutes later as a reminder to go to bed at a particular time based on a previous week’s sleep stats or heart rate incident counts.

But both of these are for situations where you have specific routines you’re trying to implement, a sort of “training regimen,” where you want to try things one way for a week, analyse the results, then make an adjustment and try a variation.

I don’t see them as having very widespread use.

Thats what i coming up with as well, and i want to be wrong.

As always great ideas for the archived data, I wonder, as I do not have one myself, could you use a button as a trigger like they do with the UP/24 band? How much control do you have from the device? How does it upload data to the App?

Basis Peak already plays well with both Apple and Google Health and both handle archiving data better than smarthtings can. Basis Peak has no buttons, the sleep\wake detection is fully automatic, which is really cool but it takes time to figure that out, plus if you are awake and really relaxed it will think you are asleep. There are several times were it has thought i was asleep at work cause my job can be very very chill. The device communicates to its app over BLE so the integration would have to be totally a cloud to cloud kinda of thing, which also add more lag and polling.

Can I has your Job? Or do you need more people doing your Job? Chill is not a word that happens where I work.

So it is like the UP band, where you sync through BLE and then it updates the data in the App I assume. (sorry have not looked it up, maybe I should (SMILE))

LOL I do storage and virtualization for hospitals and its very chill as long as you and your co-workers don’t make mistakes. Once a mistake has been made and that mistake effects patient data it gets VERY stressful very quickly because lives are at risk. Last year we lost a guy cause he couldn’t handle the stress and i watched him loose his mind under the pressure of a downtime gone wrong. SO chill is kinda feast or famine in my line of work and i really appreciate chill while i can. Yes, its very much like the UP band in that respect.