Bad Experence with MonoPrice

Does monoprice ever do free return shipping? Even for defective/not-as-described items? Plenty of retailers/manufacturers expect the consumer to pay for shipping back if an item needs in-warranty repair/replacement.

Don’t get me wrong, I love ordering stuff from amazon and being able to return stuff for free if the item doesn’t match the website description (kind of a subjective call, if you ask me). Doesn’t really mean that every other web retailer is obligated to do the same.

The fact that they do free shipping at all is relatively new, last year or two I think? Presumably in an effort to keep up with amazon.

Under normal circumstances I would agree, but they say the item does something and it isn’t even capable of it, that is false advertising. It is in their user manual and on many web pages, so they are responsible to provide what the specs are. Not only did I buy the unit I bought a reed switch, so I am down even more money.

Really depends on what their shipping/return policies are. Beyond that, they’re just doing customers a favor in the interest of maintaining good will; amazon customer service has clearly made it a priority to go above and beyond in many circumstances, but not every other retailer does.

Having said that, see part of monoprice’s return policy I pasted below. Since this is a defective item, the rep you spoke to may not have been entirely consistent with their stated policy (though it’s possible he was). Either way, good luck.

Returns of Products are subject to Monoprice.com’s current return policies which are set forth here on our website and on the invoice. These policies may be subject to additional or lesser return rights adopted by the manufacturer or publisher. The Terms of Sale represent the complete and final agreement between the customer and Monoprice.com for the matters set forth herein and shall be supplemented only by the prices, quantity, and descriptions set forth in Monoprice.com’s invoice for the relevant sale. Terms contained in customers’ purchase orders, offers to buy, terms and conditions, and the like shall have no effect.

For Refunds: All returns for refund must be authorized by Monoprice.com within 30 days of the delivery date. There is NO RESTOCKING FEE applied to any returned item(s). However, S&H cost is not refundable.
For any items being returned that are non-defective, we would not be able to cover the shipping charges. In order for you to return item(s), we recommend you use a cheaper shipping method such as USPS/UPS standard. Thanks for your support and we apologize for the inconvenience.

For Replacements: Replacements will be provided for any defective product within the specified warranty period for that product. Replacements will be the only recourse for returns after 30 days from the delivery date have passed. Monoprice.com will only replace item(s) for the exact same item(s) during its warranty period. Sorry, we cannot exchange one item with a different item. The Product ID (PID) must be the same.

Out of Stock or Discontinued Items: If you return a product for replacement and it is Out of Stock or Discontinued when the item is received, you may be contacted by the Monoprice.com Returns team and offered a suitable replacement or option for a store credit.

For Defective items: If the defect is reported within 30 days and a replacement is requested, we will send out a replacement immediately and cover the shipping of the replacement item. If return of the defective item is requested by Monoprice.com, you will be emailed a pre-paid UPS return shipping label to return the defective item to us. If no return is requested by Monoprice.com, you will be asked to discard the item.

If a refund is requested, Monoprice.com will issue a refund once the item is returned. If Monoprice.com requests for the item to be returned to us, we will email you a pre-paid UPS return shipping label to return the defective item. If no return is requested by Monoprice.com, a refund will be issued within 1-2 business days. We will issue a refund on shipping paid if, and only if, the defective item is the only item on the order. If there are other items that are being kept on the same order, no shipping refund will be issued. A partial shipping refund may be issued if the returned item is the bulk of the order. Partial shipping refunds will be issued at the sole discretion of the Monoprice.com Returns department.

1 Like

Look at this paragraph, it is double speak. Look at this part of the above paragraph "For any items being returned that are non-defective, we would not be able to cover the shipping charges.

Yes it is defective.

Well guys, I made a modification to my thoughts and found by moving the sensor to the door and the magnet to the frame I do receive a push notification from the sensor. So I will hopefully not need to return it. But the other one for my windows will have to go back. I will have to find another sensor with external contacts for my windows. So at least one is good. The Z-Wave repair did work. Or maybe help.

I am elated that I can save one.

1 Like

The Monoprice zwave plus external contact connections WORK fine.

They disabled this feature by default so you have to change a configuration setting to enable it and when it’s enabled the internal and external have to be closed in order for the device to report closed.

I created a device handler specifically for this product that explains all of this.

9 Likes

There’s the fix. Cancel the RMA :slight_smile:

I wonder why MonoPrice couldn’t tell me this. Also how do you get it to work if you have to have the internal and external closed? I am only going to use the external if my install stops working. Right now it is working great even in the metal box.

Yes I did already, but not sure how this will work if the internal and external have to be closed. I will play around with this.

Most people aren’t aware of that configuration setting even after reading the manual because they have a whole section in the manual about using the external contact, but they only mention that it’s disabled by default on the last page which has the disclaimers and fcc information so its really easy to miss.

I tried posting a comment on the monoprice site a couple of months ago to explain this because other people posted that they don’t work. About a month later they responded saying they couldn’t post it because of the link so I said they can remove the last paragraph that mentions my DTH and the link, but they still haven’t posted it.

I personally don’t like the company and if someone is looking for a device with internal and external contacts, I don’t recommend this product.

The GoControl/Linear door/window sensor looks the same, but it allows you to use the internal and external contacts independently. I’ve created a simple DTH for this device and I’ve also created a complex DTH that allows you to use the internal and external as different capabilities.

If you get the kit that comes with 2 door/window sensors and a motion sensor, the individual price is close to the monoprice version.

I just tape the magnet to the side of the sensor.

Great idea, I just called MonoPrice and informed them of the info you all gave me. They still insist it won’t work. I think they don’t know what they are doing.

1 Like

I’m just curious, does the first line on the last page of your manual mention that configuration setting?

Edit: I forgot to mention that this device sleeps so if you end up using my device handler and you change that option in the settings, it won’t get applied until the next time the device wakes up.

You can force the device to wakeup by opening the cover for about 10 seconds.

No not mentioned anywhere in the manual. Everything about sleep and wake is mentioned.

So your last page doesn’t look like the right half of this image?

No missing two Paragraphs the top right and the bottom about Canada. I see that there is a paragraph on yours about the external command. THe tech looked at his and didn’t find anything. Just tested mine doesn’t work with external switch I woke it up live logging showed that but no switch event. Mine is defective. The other one works with the switch and your device.

Did you check the manual that came with both devices or just the one that’s not working? Do both of them have “P/N 15270” on cover?

You are aligning the magnet between the 2 lines on the sensor, right?

Yes the internal switch works no problem, that is how I have it now. Both devices have same stock number, but one is defective. It is going back for exchange.

So were you able to get the external switch to work with either of the Z-Wave Plus devices?

My device handler has it disabled by default so you have to go into the settings and enable the “Enable External Sensor” option, tap Done, and then wake the device up.

If you searched this forum you would have seen the posts that while the ZW+ still have the contacts for external connection they ARE NOT FUNCTIONAL. If you want to make use of external connection you need to go with the old ZW not the new ZW+ model

Apparently that is no longer true with @krlaframboise DTH.