Automation Issues with Lutron Caseta Switches

The hub works great for all my other devices, it is just these Lutron switches.

That is exactly right ā€” I donā€™t really have any issues with non-Lutron devices. I have a few SmartThings sensors and some Z-Wave plugs around the house and they never have an issues with ST. I integrate the Z-Wave plugs through Homebridge into Apple Home.

If you login to IDE, does the device type display Placeholder for your Lutron devices?

1 Like

Device type shows ā€œLutron Caseta Wall Dimmerā€

I think this was already mentioned but if you check the activity log in IDE you can see the dimmers being set to multiple levels within seconds, so it seems like ST is aware that itā€™s not setting the correct level?

1 Like

Lutron released a new integration earlier this summer. When you connect to the integration, it sets the device type as Placeholder for Lutron devices in IDE.

A recommendation (which you can choose to accept or not). Remove all your current lutron devices and any current integration for them. You may want to take screenshots of any automations or scenes before doing so. Then add the Lutron integration and link up your lutron devices (including fan controllers which are now supported). Then recreate any automations and/or scenes and test.

Yep, it is drastic but worth trying.

1 Like

Mine are showing up as ā€˜Placeholdersā€™ but Iā€™m having this same issue. Iā€™m talking to Smartthings support right nowā€¦

1 Like

When did you add your lutron integrationā€¦ before or after June 6th, 2021?

Before June. Iā€™ve had the Lutron integration for a few years now

A newer integration was released on that date. Unless ST has migrated users over to the new oneā€¦ you may still be on the old one. The old one also used Placeholder in IDE.

Again, if you want to try removing your current lutron devices along with the integration. Take screenshots of any automations or scenes using lutron devices. Then add the integration backā€¦ it may or may have an effect. I donā€™t knowā€¦ just trying to throw out a possible solution. But you are chatting with support so may be better to see what they say.

1 Like

I had to re add mine last week, the original Lutron devices in ST went ā€œofflineā€. Iā€™d say they are working worse since then, only a 50% success rate.

Support wasnā€™t too helpful, they had me try a few things which none of them worked. They just want me to send them an email with the details of the issue.

But you were reporting lag issues when controlling lutron devices, which I do not experience. Are you also having automation/scene issues in relation to lutron devices?

I just took your advice and removed the Lutron integration from Smartthings. Upon re-adding the integration, Smartthings is now recognizing any manual press of the Lutron switchesā€¦ which it wanā€™t before. Thanks!

2 Likes

My feeling is that ST or Lutron may be phasing out the older integration or migrating to the newer one and that is where the problems are starting to pop up for those with the older one. Only a guess on my part.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just removed my Lutron integration and reconfigured it. My devices are now showing the type as ā€œplaceholderā€ but unfortunately it didnā€™t help at all with the scenes issues. Rebuilt my scenes and they still donā€™t set the correct dim level most of the time.

are you sure it isnā€™t the app that is delayed reflecting the change?

to testā€¦ run your scene, check the light to see if it reflects the correct statusā€¦ if not, swipe down on the screen to refresh (at least with iOS, you can swipe to refreshā€¦ donā€™t know about android).

Not a delay. You can see in the activity log in IDE that, for example, the kitchen pendant lights are set to 30% (correct level for the scene) and then immediately after set to 100%. Manual adjustments in the app are correct and quick.

I also deleted the Lutron integration and then readded. Same problem. I tried an automation to override the glitch that didnā€™t work but it does highlight the issue. At 9PM my Scene is supposed to change the Lutron light from 50% to 1% brightness. When that Scene runs half the time the light ends up at 100%. I created an Automation that runs from 9:00-9:02pm AND IF that light Dimmer matches 100% THEN set light Dimmer to 1%. The light goes crazy going dim to bright over and over as you can see the bug setting the light to 100% every time before it tries to set to 1% causing the automation to loop. After about 50 tries it did eventually stop on 1% like it was supposed to. Maybe that will generate enough mess in the logs in the backend someone will notice.

Same problem here with automation and scene and Lutron Caseta dimmer (wall and plug). I noticed recently that I had 2 services associated with Lutron in ST app. The original Lutron Connect and a new Lutron. 2 days ago, the original Lutron disappeared which screwed all my automation and scene. The problem with the Lutron dimmer in automation and scene existed before, but it was only happening once in a while and could be fix by running again the scene. But now it is completely unusable. I have 3 dimmer switches set to say 40% 40% 20% and no matter how many time I call the scene there will be at least one switch set to 100%.

If I remember, before when you were simply switching the light on, it used to return to the previous dim value. Now it goes to 100% straight. So Iā€™m guessing the problem is when you set a light from an automation or a scene, a first command is sent to turn on the light (100%) followed by another command to set the dim value which is not always registered, for some reason. It was probably the same problem before, but since the light was returning to its previous dim value when turn on, it made the problem less apparent. If it could send only the dim value (unless the light is switch to off) the problem would be fixed.

My workaround was to create a scene in Lutron app and call this scene using a Google routine. This is 100% reliable. In bonus, the lights are fading to the next set value, which is nice. However my preference was to have everything centralized in ST but that is no longer possible.

Iā€™m hoping ST engineering will read this post and look into this once for all.

Iā€™m kind of getting a ā€˜similarā€™ problem. I started having random lights turn on at 1030PM that were never suppose to do anything. I had a routine set in the smart app Smart Lighting where 3 lights would turn off. I searched EVERYWHERE to see if I was missing something and found nothing that would cause these 10 other lights to execute a command. So I deleted the routine and tonight nothing physically happened with any of the lights. However, the log shows that 6 lights ā€˜executedā€™ a command (either ā€˜onā€™ or dimmer 0) - again, nothing actually happening at the light itself.

Iā€™m at a loss. I was going to delete the lights and re-add them, but what Iā€™ve gathered from above, this will happen again more than likely.

Iā€™ve had some issues with ST over the past 4 years, and Iā€™ve always been able to make it work. But when I lose the better part of a day trying this fix this stuff, it REALLY gets me angry. I really have liked ST as I use it with Actiontiles and use that on my iPad which is integrated into my wall for a smarthome display. I legit have no clue what Iā€™d do if it all went sideways. Reading these things makes me worried.

Iā€™ll trying deleting over the next few days and re-adding. Then redoing the routines. Thatā€™s gonna be a lot of work fixing it.

Iā€™m wondering if perhaps I need a new ST hub (version 2 currently) and maybe a new LUTRON bridge?

Also, is there a way to prevent ST from updating the firmware? Sometimes everything is working great and then they make an update and it SUCKS.

Anyways, Iā€™m all ears of anyone has a suggestion.