Aurora AOne zigbee Dimmer

Just got a new Aurora AOne ZigBee dimmer switch. I must say I am rather pleased with it. Paired straight away and (so far) appears to work a treat. From my perspective, there are two rather nifty things about it - the first being that it doesn’t need a neutral - as long as you have the supply and load wires the correct way round, it just works. The second thing that I really like about it is that you can adjust the minimum brightness for the manual dimmer.

However… It has a rather annoying (or extremely attractive - depending on your tastes) Blue LED. The manual and advertising bumpf says that this can be turned off in the App. However, when I run up the App, the first thing that it does is prompt you to scan to QR code of a hub. Needless to say, I don’t have an Aurora AOne hub as I am using Smartthings.

Any idea how I turn the LED off without using the App or get round the requirement for the App to connect to a hub?

If I can sort this then I will definitely buy more of these as the do seem to work a treat.

1 Like

Hello I have the same dimmer switches. I read the same “manual and advertising bumpf”. So I called Aurora. They told me the only way to turn off the blue led is via their own hub. So you can’t I believe turn it off natively via smartthings. Maybe a different device handle could do this. As you can via the Aone hub

Hmm. That’s a PITA. I may have to review my thoughts about getting some more of these then.

I’m sure as things progress, you will be able to turn the blue led off or on. I didn’t like it at first.

@Filtertip @NickSpender
Based on my experience with a Fibaro module and the fact a custom DTH was written by someone for that to give more precise control and the fact that even with the AOne hub it is still speaking standard Zigbee to this dimmer I am confident it would be possible for someone to write an equivalent custom DTH for this.

It might then even be possible to do silly things like use the LED as a signal via Smartthings.

@AndyPrice-Aurora is an official AOne representative in these forums, perhaps he can respond with some assistance regarding this.

@NickSpender @Filtertip @jelockwood

Thanks for reaching out. The limitaiton of the blue LED control was primarily down to the lack of capabilities within the new smartthings app, an issue that has very recently been resolved. The great news is this should be added as a feature in the new app in the very near future.

In the meantime, I do have a custom DTH that can be temporarily swaped out for the default DTH in the IDE, and, using the classic app, can give you the option to turn off the blue LED. You then have to switch back to the standard ‘Zigbee Dimmer’ DTH to restore app control of the dimmer.

This was written by another community member, but ive had great success with it myself.

Please PM me if you would like the DTH code to be sent over to you

Thanks

Andy

1 Like

Hi @Filtertip,

I’m glad these are working out for you. I have 3 of them and the major issue I have is trying to get LED lights to work with them without flashing. Can I ask which bulbs you are using?

Two of the dimmers are each controlling a 3 bulb candelabra. No matter which bulbs I tried in these I could not get them to stop flashing, even when “off”. The fittings are B22, but I also tried E27 and G9 with the appropriate adaptors. The minimum load is stated as 10W, and the wattage of the bulbs I tried amounted to 12W and 15W and 21W. I had to resort to Halogen bulbs.

I have also recently purchased one of these for the living room and this light takes 6 G9s. They are rated at 4W (so 24W in all), and even this flashes when turned up to 100%.

@AndyPrice-Aurora if you wouldn’t mind, please would you send me the DTH for the Aurora Aone dimmer. I’m hoping to turn off the Blue LED. Thank you!

Hi @JasonBSteele

I’ve installed one of these dimmers as a test before replacing more of my traditional switches/dimmers and I’m mostly very happy with how it works. It’s controlling 8 x 5W LED downlights (LAP CosmosEco) and with proper adjustment of the minimum dimming level it is performing better that the original dimmer - the light level is more steady, the lights are able to dim further and there’s no buzzing. There’s also no flashing to speak of, and they definitely stay off when they’re turned off!

One thing that would be nice to have is the ability to control other smart devices or set scenes from the dimmer - something like the ‘secondary mode’ that the battery powered model seems to have.

Also it seems like the ‘soft start/stop’ only works when operating the lights from the dimmer, when using Smartthings they seem to turn on/off instantly. This might just be my perception because the effect is quite subtle, but it would be nice to be able to control this.

@AndyPrice-Aurora Do you know if either of these features is/will be available please? I’d also appreciate the code for the DTH so that the blue LED can be controlled through Smartthings. Many thanks!

Hi Andy, please can you send me the same code. I’m all new to this smart home setup so would need a step by step guide if possible on how to disable the blue light on the dimmer via Smartthings.

I’m so new I couldn’t even find a way to PM you this :slight_smile:

@AndyPrice-Aurora Hi Andy, I have the same set up and it’s been a year since your post saying that the SmartThings app will support the mode change of the dinner’s led blue light. Could you please send me the DTH code as well? Cheers, Ade

Hi guys, did you get the custom DTH? I messaged Andy a few weeks back but no response. If you have it, could you share?

Cheers.

No I didn’t. I emailed Aurora and they said the new Smart Things App isn’t compatible with the code that worked for the old ‘classic’ app which is no longer available… which sucks as that means there is no way to turn off the blue led light unless you get an AOne Hub. I asked if they would loan be one to make the configuration change… unsurprisingly I got no reply lol

Any news on the blue light? Also my dimmer went offline and for the life of me I can seem to fix it…I tried removing it from smartthings but it doesn’t pair back. Not sure what to do next…it’s just slow flashing

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone is using these dimmers with success still. Mine’s been on the whole reliable, but just recently it’s not been playing ball with SmartThings app. A button press (power toggle) or brightness value issue seems to only erratically have any effect.

Oh and I gave up on turning off the blue light. Has anyone had any luck with that?

Does anyone still habe that old code?
I wonder if there may be a way of seeing in that code what triggered the LED to turn off and have it written into a new edge driver.
I spoke to Aurora recently and it seems they are not supporting smartthings any more.
@AndyPrice-Aurora does not seem to be an active user any more.

Their sockets have been great. Id love their battery remote dimmer to have an edge driver.
I was told that battery rotarty dimming is a limitation in smartthings, however my ikea ones worked brilliantly, they were just bloody ugly.

I spoke to Aurora today. The company have gone into administration and the Aone brand went with it.
The devices will get no further support st all as nobody has taken the brand over.