Arm "Away" vs "Stay" Based on Switch?

Hello,

I need some help setting Smart Home Monitor to Arm in “Stay” or Arm in “Away” when I leave based on an open/close switch. I have a routine that arms the system when I leave, I just can’t figure out how to make it look at a switch and determine mode to arm in.

In other words, I want the system to arm when I leave, but, depending on a door open/closed will dictate arming in Away or Stay (dogs are put up or not…).

Decreasing the sensitivity of the motion detectors just isn’t a reliable option for me…

Thanks,

Bill

(This is a question about setting up an automation, not about the features of a device as it comes from the manufacturer, so I have moved it to that category.)

This is certainly doable, but first we need to know which version of the SmartThings app you are using. The Rules engines and Smart Home Monitor features are somewhat different.

I’m still new to all of this, I apologize for the incorrect posting. I’m glad to hear this is doable, I was starting to worry…

I’m using ST Classic, Version 2.14.1 (1442)

OK, with classic there are multiple ways to do it. :sunglasses:

First make sure you understand the difference between the “home“ which is an SHM armed state and the “home“ which is a mode. Read the following FAQ (this is a clickable link)

OK, so hopefully we are clear on modes versus armed states.

Now the following FAQ on creating complex rules should be helpful:

Also, you’ve been saying ‘open/close switch”, but don’t you mean an open/close sensor? It won’t really make much difference in terms of creating the automation, but I think it will help people visualize the use case a little more easily.

Thank you. Wow, that’s a lot…

Yes, I do understand the difference between SHM “Stay” and “Home Mode”. I think I will try SmartRules for a start… At a quick glance it looks like I can perform an If/Then/Else rule to accomplish my goal.

You are correct, I am referring to an open/close sensor.

Thank you for your assistance!

1 Like