Any Concord 4 alarm panel users out there?

There is a collection of different modules that perform different options as addons to the Concord that function over the SuperBus200. I can’t say for sure if the automation is only doing a direct bridge between RS485 and RS232 because I never bothered to try and verify the bits going into or coming out of the module on the panel side.

The only real risk you take is making sure you join the RS485 network correctly, it looks like the panel should assign a unit number to you automatically, and that GE could be using a proprietary data format different then what is described in the automation module documentation.

If you have the time and spare 485 sitting around, I say you go ahead and hook it up and see what you see. I would actually really like to know how different, if at all, the bus protocol is from the advertised automation interface.

More importantly, what are you actually trying to accomplish? This forum is specifically for SmartThings and the code provided above is to create an interface from the Alarm Panel into that Home Automation system. Both the SmartThings Shield and the IP Bridge is for that purpose. I have seen your posts on other forums and it appears you are after some confirmation on how to interface with the panel. If that is the case, then the automation module documentation is accurate and does describe the data to use the Automation Module interface, also the best place to start if you decided to go RS485 directly.

Both a link to the Automation Module IDD and a python script to display some of the data can be found on the github link as well.

I have been playing with the concord system for a while as a hobby project, I hooked up a netduino first but recently I switched to an intel edison. It allows me to write in javascript and run using node. On the edison I am parsing most of the superbus commands and sending via udp to a windows server. I have not gotten my Smart Things Hub yet, so I have not figured out how to interact with it. Thanks for your post.

I have been thinking about converting to use a small wifi adapter instead of the smartthings shield. I already have a garage setup over udp and had to create a simple bridge using a RaspPi and a python script. Based on what you said, I have a sample device type and the ip bridge you could at least use as a starting point.

Also, are you connected directly to the superbus? If so, can you confirm if the automation ICD accurate represents all the data and the protocol?

Thanks.

In my setup I used UDP because making SOAP or REST calls was slower and less stable because of my unstable internet connection, then I bridged with a Windows service (that I also used for parsing the message) to Azure. But my new plan was to do all the parsing with the Edison and eventually shift from UDP to ZigBee (using the shield or an XBee board) . I connect the Edison through the Automation add on module box that has a serial port, so not directly to the panel. The protocol has matched so far, had some issues with the checksum but I worked around that by using whatever is between a start LF and the next start LF (not really elegant). If that is what you mean by ICD (I used the GE Security Automation Protocal document I found along with some VB code couple of years ago)!

caesarsghost.

I have an update. i received the Rs485 interface and started analyzed the RS485 traffic. The baud rate is 19.2K and the GE superbus 2000 protocol is fairly complex to decode. for instance there are trams of HEX commands back and forth every 400 ms or so. so this was good to know and analyze.

Later on I received the GE automation module. I hooked it up to the concord4 system in a breeze. I added the ID module to the concord 4 system. I checked the communication module is setup correctly because i disconnected the power on AM and I got the alarm on concord panel that ID 5 is offline.

UPDATE 03/08/2015: I was now able to get all the serial traffic. I had to re-invert pins 2 and 3 on one of the cable ends. I now can read the outcoming serial traffic from Automation module. its constantly sending out the following HEX frame 0A 30 32 30 32 30 34.

I now need to read the GE automation protocol to understand what HEX codes I need to send back ACK to the AM. Do any of you happen to know from the top of your mind the ACK HEX code?

Thank you.

1 Like

Im interested getting concord 4 hooked up, let me know who far you get.

Hey Arturo,

Apologize for noob questions, though would like to know if you are aware of way to get ethernet capability to the
Concord alarm panel? I was thinking of just buying an envisalink 3 module but apparently they only play with DSC/honeywell and not GE?

Thanks

Victrola.
You just need the concord automation module and a serial to Ethernet converter from there you can connect to your home router and open the ports to allow the traffic to be sent outside if you premises if you want to control and monitor your house from anywhere. There are multiple serial to ethernet converter choices and very cheap. This is probably the easiest since everything is spelled out and you just need to make connections and configurations.

Then you will need to develop the human machine interface application to control and monitor your concord alarm locally and remotely. I am building one using java and it is doing the purpose but still need a lot of work and debugging. I have tested the small java application and traffic monitoring from Europe and it is looking great but needs more work.

I hope this helps you.
Arturo

Is it possible to communicate with the panel without the use of smartthings software, ie directly somehow? I guess could just use Caesars code directly with a terminal session on my mobile phone?

Arturo,

Have you gotten anywhere in making your own interface for the Concord Panel? Does the RS485 protocol differ from the RS232 protocol from the Automation Module? Can’t we just wire serial connection directly to the panel bus terminals?

man, what you asked is the simplest part.
Serial parameters: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, odd parity, 1 stop bit.

Cheers.

1 Like

Bump… Anyone still here?

Hi Tim,

The only thing I have found is the docs on the automation module itself http://www.interlogix.com/_/assets/library/Automation%20Module%20Protocol.pdf

I can’t tell from that what protocol the panel is using. From one of the other threads on the board here it looks like the panel is using RS485 but I’m not sure how that is different from RS232? I can’t seem to figure out how to contact the member in the thread that was talking about the topic either Any Concord 4 alarm panel users out there?

Its hard to imagine that the since the panel is connected directly to the control pads that it has different communication than the automation module?

Vic

1 Like

Have you looked at the code for the Vera Concord 4 plug in? It allows the Vera automation system to talk to Concord automation module via a serial to USB adapter cable.
While the code is very “Vera” specific you can probably pluck out the needed information about the data stream and how to decode it for the various concord 4 features. See

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_ge-concord#no1

Thank you Cindy!

Had started to get into code then I actually found similar plugin for the concord on homeseer which i have been using on a trial version so far successfully. Have you found the Vera plugin stable and useful? V

Currently I am using a Vera with the Concord 4 vera plug which has been very stable for me on a Vera Edge. I would prefer to use the SmartThing but because integrating with the Concord 4 is a deal breaker for me I have been waiting for a SmartThing plug in to come along. It is my top priority since I use the alarm panel and doors and motion sensors to drive a lot of my automation, so was essential if I wanted to move to SmartThing. If you have a plug in that is mostly stable, I might have to try it out!

The link on the github includes a smartthings app that talks directly with the arduino code. You only have to pair the the shield and set it to be the device created through the provided code. I have been using this for several months with no issues. The alarm then shows as a lock that can be automated based on your presence. It also includes virtual switches and an app that allows you to make all of your zones contact switches.

For example, when I open the door to my garage, I have the lights turn on, same with the attic access.

1 Like

you can find it in the arduino code, it has to send out the ack as well through the automation module.

Im having trouble getting the right data off the automation module. I can add the automation module successfully to the concord4 (no bus error). The superbus light flashes constantly. However, when i connect to the serial port, i think im just getting garbage data although it seems to repeat.

My serial cable to my pc works fine just looping pins 2/3. Using 9600 8 odd 1. Im connecting pins 2,3,5 to the concord db9 using a prolific chipset usb->rs232. I had also tried from a ttl->rs232 and that did’nt work either. Im never seeing a 0xa. Is there something wrong with my automation module? (It was NIB from ebay)

Some of the output in ascii:
ˇ¨˛,˘ˇ,ˇ,˛,˛,ˇ,˛
ˇ,˛ˇ,˛·
˛¨ˇ,˛,ˇ¨˛ç˘å˝
ˇ ˘
ˇ¨˛,˘ˇ,ˇ,˛,˛,ˇ,˛
ˇ,˛ˇ,˛·
˛¨ˇ,˛,ˇ¨˛ç˘å˝
ˇ ˘
ˇ¨˛,˘ˇ,ˇ,˛,˛,ˇ,˛
ˇ,˛ˇ,˛·
˛¨ˇ,˛,ˇ¨˛ç˘å˝