I just tested this and it worked great. Now, they need the ability to assign certain devices/groups to certain devices. For example, I want to have an activity “Turn on Television ESPN” turn on the tv in the room where the Alexa is. I would love to setup 4 different groups with the name Television ESPN and each assigned to a different Harmony Hub and Alexa.
The way it’s setup now, this would turn on ESPN on all 4 of my tv’s via Harmony/Yonomi integration.
thanks for the clarification since I did not read the article.
Unfortunately I prefer the previous behavior so I could yell to 2 Echo’s in order for both to play the Flash Update while I roam the house for the morning preparation for the day’s work.
I hope Amazon implements Echo play grouping - is this proposed or known by another name?
I sent Amazon a suggestion a while back where you can create a echo specific group so that you can tell it to “turn on light” or whatever, and it knows which one you are talking about… Right now I had to give long names to all my devices so that they are unique. The format is room name followed by standard device name… “Master Bedroom Light” gets to be a bit annoying to say when you could just say “turn on light”. I think you are saying the same thing so I would suggest to email Amazon with the feature request
When I say “Alexa” those within sight light up, but only the closest answers. Further, my Internet was down for a minute this morning and one that did not yet connect answered that it was down while only one of the others answered.
Amazon did not send me a notice nor can I see a version number you can reference indicating I have ESP. It just works. My conclusion is a cloud platform update.
They need to roll out whole home audio sync playback with these things. I have a Echo, 2 dots and 2 new dots on order. If I could get them to sync music across the board, Id be fully content with them.
The caveat here would be if I wanted to control some SH stuff, only one stops playing music when listening and performing the request, then resumes music. It would need to perform like this.
Im not an audiophile, but my family likes to have BG music in the evenings.
Yes, the problem is, not all the names work. For example, I tried “Turn on Living Room Nick Jr.”, and it doesn’t work, where as “Turn on Bedroom Nick Jr.”. does. Once I find a name that works, I want to stick with it.
Alexa typically gets all of mine right. My naming convention is - for example:
Master Bedroom Fan
Master Bedroom Table Lamp
Master Bathroom Light
Living Room Light
Marco’s Bedroom Light
Marco’s Bedroom White Noise
etc
I am guessing that certain words are ignored so you need enough for Alexa to still differentiate which device you are talking about. Also, “JR.” might be adding to the problem. As a test, try to spell it out to “junior”. I believe there are one or more threads on ST regarding Echo naming quirks.
One of them is:
The one that fails 80% of the time is “Turn on nook light” (breakfast nook). Any other name suggestions would be welcome…
Thanks, but Echo’s naming quirks are sometimes hard to get around. I tried spelling it out, abbreviating it, etc. It also happened with my other TV activities. Living Room Lights works, Living Room NBC, didn’t. Its my biggest complaint about the Echo.
I had an air conditioner in the bedroom. I called it bedroom cooler because I didn’t want to call it air conditioner because I didn’t want Alexa (or Siri) to think I was talking about a thermostat.
It seemed that I could turn on the bedroom cooler, but turn off bedroom cooler, she would say okay but nothing would happen. I opened the Alexa app and she heard turn off bedroom cooler, but didn’t turn it off.
Finally I turned on live logging in SmartThings and even thought the Alexa app heard turn off bedroom cooler, Live logging showed the command that went to SmartThings was turn of bedroom chair. I changed the name of the air conditioner to the cooler and it works fine now.
I had emailed Amazon tech support earlier today and as @beckwith said, 4008 already supports ESP. This is a part of what I got from their tech support:
I understand you’d like to confirm the firmware version required for ESP feature on Alexa.
I’d like to inform you that, your firmware version is updated to recent one, which requires for ESP (Echo Spatial Perception) (i.e. 4008). With ESP, If you have more than one Alexa device using the same wake word (for example, two Echo devices using “Alexa” as a wake word), Alexa chooses the device closest to you to respond to your request using ESP (Echo Spatial Perception). ESP uses the volume and proximity of the spoken request. Nearby Alexa devices that happen to recognize the same wake word won’t respond to the request.
I tried it and it actually works nicely… not perfect but way better than before! Super happy here! Also my wife will finally stop griping at it