Alternative to SmartTiles for OLD Tablets?

I have a seriously old tablet running on Android 4.0.4 (Motorola Xoom FE) that I was hoping to use Smart Tiles with as a dashboard but it is not compatible with my device (according to the Play Store). I’d love to be able to repurpose this thing as a dashboard. Are there any other options out there that I could simply download?

FYI, I cannot root this device. It is locked down because this version (FE) is a proprietary Best Buy tablet that no one bought therefore no one cared to enable root access.

Thanks for your help.

Howdy James…

I doubt you can tell that SmartTiles isn’t compatible from the Android Play Store because we aren’t in the Play Store at all! :wink:!! SmartTiles (and ActionTiles) is a web-App.

That said… ActionTiles is somewhat less likely to work on old Tablets / Phones, unfortunately, 'cuz we need to make the app as fancy as possible while balancing performance and compatibility.

Still – it’s worth trying Opera (or a few other Play Store browsers?) because not all of them rely on the Chromium Engine (which, for ActionTiles needs to be at least Android OS 4.3 … maybe 4.4).

Please drop me a note at: Support@SmartTiles.click and I might be able to help your research.

Ah ok! I guess I was looking at a copy cat on the App Store. It looked similar at least… Anyhow, thanks for the heads up. Will follow up with you when I get back to tinkering. Thanks!

2 Likes

What functionality are you looking for with the dashboard?

That’s a good question. I suppose the minimum need would be access to ST modules. I guess could just leave up the SmartThings app, but I’d like to have landscape orientation. I also have an Amcrest IP camera as a baby monitor, and looking at adding some exterior cams (haven’t decided on manufacturer). So those would be my basic needs. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

1 Like

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.eyesfree.setorientation&hl=en for forcing a specific orientation. See if it supports your OS.

1 Like