Android Tablet 9.0 Pie not supported Smartthings (not Classic)

Hello - for some reason on a Galaxy Tab A “your device isn’t compatible with this version” of Smartthings (not Classic). The google play store app won’t even list it. I can google it on the tablet and try to install it, but get the error. It works fine on my iPhone, naturally.

Samsung Tablet, Tab A, 32Gb Ram & Android Pie 9.0. I also had this same problem on a Google Nexus 10 tablet running 5.1.1. Is there a workaround?

What Android tablets are known to work? I guess Amazon Fire would be OK other than the Amazon App non sideload ecosystem and it never really ever gets updated OS.

I’m trying to integrate Denon HEOS AV receiver, UHD Blueray, Cable Box, HEOS, Harmony and Smarthings on a single tablet bigger than a phone.

Thanks

I have an older Samsung tablet that works fine with Classic and New App: Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (with S-Pen, but that doesn’t matter).

SmartThings cannot be installed on Amazon Fire Tablets without significant gyrations to install and make Chrome the default browser, because otherwise Samsung Login fails and the App gets no further.

But might I suggest the 14-day free trial of ActionTiles as your SmartThings “view & control” tool - it’s web based so runs in any browser, but you can start with the browser wrapped version in the Play Store if you wish.

Use Coupon Code RONT1909 for 19% off the per-Hub License through October 31st, 2019

The SmartThings Apps are not optimized for tablet layout, whereas with ActionTiles you can create any layout that you wish. Being browser based makes ActionTiles fit in well with “kiosk mode browsers” like Fully-Kiosk, that offer special functionality like wake-in-motion detection, timeout to screen savers, lockdown, and more.

Here’s a link to a Gallery of creations our Customers have shared…

https://support.actiontiles.com/communities/12/topics/7023-show-me-your-panels-gallery-3-enhanced-themes

Enjoy exploring! Facilitating use a tablet(s) as a home control center is one of the main reasons we created ActionTiles.

1 Like

Works fine on my Samsung Tab S5e running Android 9

1 Like

Installed the ST APP on a Galaxy Tab A SM-T350 with Android 7.1.1 and it was a no go. Could have been that too many items were locked down. Tried both the classic an new ST APP.

Next a Galaxy Tab A SM-T580 with Android 8.1.0 with success. (New APP)

Then on a Galaxy Tab SM-T510 with Android 9 with success. (New APP)

A failure with a Chrome Book Acer 15.3 inch CB3-C8DF. Classic APP would run but not allow for password input.

1 Like

As a user, I love Android.

I am so thankful I never had to develop for it

The issue is screen resolution. Google Play Store won’t even let you find the ST app if it’s aware that your device’s screen resolution is below such a requirement that the developers set for the app. I just bought two 8" Tab A decices from Costco thinking I’d use them for panels around the house. Useless. I have to go to my phone with it’s 6" screen to use the app.

I’m getting really tired of the entire SmartThings ecosystem in general. All these little annoyances really work together to chip away at the usefulness. Maybe I should just get off the f’ing couch and turn the light off with my actual hand. What a novel idea.

1 Like

Update. I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A and all is working well with SmartThings. My only real gripe is ST is cloud based. There does not appear to be a local method. No internet and it is dumb things.

I set up a customer with 15 Samsung TVs in his store. They are mostly controllable when powered on. Problem is, you can’t turn them on if they are off. Seriously Samsung, really? Nor do they even have full functionality thru ST. Example, can’t switch to usb and play what’s on it in a loop for running ads. Dumb. We had to add a Logitech Harmony hub to turn them on.

We are going to put in a Thor Broadcasting Petite Hdmi RF modulator to run ads.

We are really disappointed with Samsung TVs considering ST is Samsung.

There are at least three applications built specifically to be tablet-based dashboards for SmartThings.

Search these forums for lots of info on each of them.

Don’t get off the couch!! The struggle is real!!

2 Likes

Hahahaha! No one has ever encouraged me to not get off my butt before :smiley: Yeah, I’ve played with two of those. But there are things in the ST app you cannot do on the web nor in those 3rd party smart apps.

1 Like

How did you get SmartThings working on your Tab A? You’re talking about the 8" or the 10"? The 8" display is 1280x800 and newer version SmartThings will not even install. If you’ve figured out how to get it to install on the 8", I’d love to hear it.

Jason

1 Like

Its a 10 inch.

Worked fine on my Samsung TabA 10.1" Tablet 3GB RAM T510 with Android 9 (which just got updated to Android 10).

1 Like

I have the same issue with Tab A 8"
App doesn’t even show in Google Play Store for that OS ver and hardware

I have recently purchased Tab A 8, and cannot even see the Smartthings App. If I try to load via a PC it says that the Tab A 8 is not compatible. Pretty bad for a Samsung tablet not suporting its own App. Any update?