ALL Zwave devices dropped, module dead, hub replacement on the way, I'm gonna be sick

yeah, I just installed the DTH, does not make any difference for me. Unless this is not what it fixes. I get power readings every second that is in my opinion slowing my entire ST setup down. This is insane!!!

The majority of the Current SmartThings customers, which, with respect to all those who recently posted on this thread, are a very small piece of the potential IOT market.

As I’ve mentioned in the past, the Z wave alliance has said that 2/3 of zwave devices are professionally installed. And companies that do professional installation and do charge a monthly fee, like Xfinity home and ADT pulse, have customers in the millions, many times more than the current SmartThings base. And SmartThings staff has said multiple times that most of their customers have 15 or fewer devices and don’t use any custom code.

You put all that together, and probably the only thing they have to worry about with people going from V2 to a potential V3 is that they don’t damage the brand. :wink: Leaving the original hubs fee – free while adding fees to the new ones, as they have just done with the new ATT/SmartThings offering, sounds like a perfectly viable business model, even if it’s not one that matches the desires of most of the people posting to these forms.

We’ll see what happens. The new ADT offering is very interesting, I am curious to see how it does in the marketplace. I do think they need to add tightly-integrated cameras to it if they’re going to compete with ring and nest in the segment. But we will see. :sunglasses:

1 Like

So the issue with this is local control goes away as soon as you switch to these which for me is a issue as I’ve found in general things run with less latency when all local. Its the reason I try to use SHM custom routines as much as possible instead of webCore or other stuff.

Maybe put in a issue on the repo with this exact issue and suggestions on fixing it? In my opinion I think there is a disconnect between the people answering support and the people doing the actual coding. Those coding seem more reasonable to making things better. Those in support, again my opinion, seem to not be very supportful…

1 Like

Believe it or not, I’m mixed on reducing this. It would be great for it to be a setting. I use small changes in power ~10w to determine if my tv is on with Netflix paused. After it’s paused for 10 minutes, harmony just turns it off.

1 Like

Absolutely!

Device Type Handlers offer “preference” input options exactly for scenarios like this.

The DTH doesn’t change what is reported to the SmartThings Infrastructure, It just tidies up the Activity Log on the mobile app. Nothing else

4 Likes

@Lgkahn, it did work. It took about 4 days, including the overnight shipping. Everything was intact when it returned, no devices were lost, and it’s received many firmware updates ever since. Send support an email request, and reference what they did for me.

3 Likes

No not yet, but I’m about to try. I’ve only done this for my Aeon and Zooz devices so far.

The problem is that the device must be capable of reducing the reporting interval. The Aeon and Zooz devices have a parameter that can be tweaked. Reducing the messages shown in the event history or Recently tab won’t help.

It’s all about the device.

2 Likes

Plus, if you’re using a DTH that’s running locally you don’t give up that advantage… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, I am with you on that. Let me know what you come up with. I don’t care if it does not run local. Right now I am logging power every 1 sec.

I recommend DTHs (really devices) that allow setting of percent change.

This satisfies most needs because it tracks small changes on light loads and large changes on large loads while ignoring noise. It’s a simple filter. All energy devices and DTHs should support this.

3 Likes

Logging (internal to the Device) or reporting (message sent over the network to your hub)?

If you are messaging via zwave or zigbee every second, you are crushing your network under the weight of those messages. :disappointed_relieved:

Have you been seeing any problems like sensors not able to get Messages through, which might look like the sensor not reporting or being “stuck” on open/close?

John’s Hub was in a different state. We had rolled his Zigbee firmware back due to a specific issue. This prevented the Hub from updating automatically and to get the Hub back up-to-date, the Hub was sent to our embedded engineers who updated the Zigbee firmware.

Regardless, the lack of a migration tool and the prospect of manually re-adding your devices is extremely painful and an issue I flag every week.

10 Likes

Thanks, Brad. Not only would it make your job less stressful, but it would boost customer satisfaction (at least here on the forum!) tremendously… :blush:

5 Likes

JD, I am not the expert on this a screen shot of my logs is in post 41. Can you tell me what it is doing? @Brad_ST Can you take a look at post 41 and tell me what is going on, possibly? This is crushing my hub traffic I have slow response from lights and automations. Also, I have 2 more of these plugs doing the same thing. So 3 plugs logging every second. This cannot be a good thing!!!

And it would make ST more money, the day they announce a way to migrate, I will buy the newest hub.

1 Like

I know that not every network is the same, but I’ll throw this out there.

I have ~200 devices, of which about 100 are ZigBee. I also probably have 25 power monitors (mostly ZigBee) spamming my network like crazy.

I’m not sure if that has led to any issues. None that I am seeing. I want my power monitors to update as often as possible because I use changes in power levels for automation.

I’ll also note that most of them are not running local, I totally get that the messages still go through my hub, but maybe I’m not having issues because the processing is happening in the cloud.

1 Like

My system currently has only two power monitors, both ZWave. One is a Zooz ZEN-07 that spits out watts, Kwh, volts, and amps. The first two are of immediate interest to me, volts is only mildly interesting (don’t know how accurate it is!), and amps is useless (since the ‘watts’ calculation is already done by the device). Have two more of these ready to install, so it is easy to see how reports can quickly get out of hand!

The other is an Aeon Gen 1 whole-house monitor installed in the breaker panel. Very useful to watch overall power usage in the home. It sends watts and Kwh. The first is most useful and the second is cumulative and probably could be sent less often.

Both of these devices chatter a lot — several times/sec (at least!) and it is easy to see how a network can be easily overrun or “spammed” with data from power monitors.

Before I add the next two devices, I’d better look into device options: can individual reports be disabled in the ZEN-07? Hmmm… :thinking:

EDIT: a quick look at the Zooz ZEN-07 Manual seems to indicate individual reports cannot be configured with different report rates or disabled. All one can do is enable/disable reporting or adjust report rate (time or percentage based) for the entire group of readings.

Hello, I think I solved my issue. I installed the Iris smart plug DTH and used that instead of the ST local DTH. The iris DTH has settings built in to correct this issue. It lets you set the reporting time right from the DTH settings. I now have it reporting at every 30 seconds instead of every 1 sec. End result is now power only logs every 30 seconds. Yes, it will no longer run local, but to be honest it was more important to me to kill all the chatter on the hub.

2 Likes