All new Echo Dot! (2nd Generation)

According to Verge, the new Dot and all existing Echo’s and Dots are getting new location technology so they will each recognize if they are the closest one to you and only that one will respond. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I just preordered 2 at 49.99 with a release date of the 20th of October I believe.

Also all the poor people on amazon selling the old dot for 300 or more. That will stop fast!

2 Likes

OMG…that’s pretty funny! I have to admit, I like the old dot with the dial on top better, but not at 6x the price of a new dot. :wink:

2 Likes

I live in Canada and can’t get one directly but was actually thinking about paying over the odds on Amazon, Ebay, Kijiji etc. - especially as they were no longer available.

HOWEVER, now that Amazon have announced the 2nd gen, I’ve just ordered 2 for delivery to my sister in the US and she’ll ship them to me. Wont get them on release date but at least I’ll have them.

I’m fairly new to Smartthings and not got a lot set up (Sonos, sump pump sensor, Kw in case of power cut) but looking forward to playing with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

In follow on to this… I only have a Sonos Play 1 and Play 3. Neither of these has a line in to connect directly to the echo dot.

If I connect the Echo Dot to my Smartthings, will the dot use the 2 sonos speakers I have to play/respond etc

Just Ordered the All-New Echo Dot (2nd Generation) - White

2 Likes

I am soooooo tempted by this deal…It’s basically Dot2 for $15

OR this one …you get the Dot2 free

2 Likes

Other than being able to tell which device is being spoken to, anything new with gen 2 other than no volume twist, with buttons instead? Not seeing any other diff other than those two things.

Worked out pretty great for me. Just ordered two new Dots for less than half of what I sold my 1st gen for a few weeks ago.

4 Likes

I’m going to get one I think. I’ll miss the volume control, love the big spinny thing!

1 Like

Embarrassingly, I didn’t realize that the top of the Echo or the Gen1 Echo Dot was a spin volume control until about a month ago when a friend used his. I’ve just always said “Alexa Volume 6” or whatever through 10.

2 Likes

remember its better to ask for forgiveness than permission :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s supposed to have somewhat better sound quality, although that can be subjective. It comes in two colors. It costs half as much. It’s a little bit smaller. As my uncle used to say, “you were expecting french fries and dancing girls?” ( I don’t know what it means, either, I just always thought it was funny. :wink: )

2 Likes

I can’t decide if I want to get 2 or 6… i can give them out as gifts I guess.

2 Likes

I could help you get rid off the free one, if you decide to go with the six pack… Let me know when they arrive and I’ll send you my address…

3 Likes

So now I’ll be able to tell Alexa to stream music to my receiver thru my Yamaha yba-11 Bluetooth adapter or by plugging the dot in? Not a big deal as I just do it now thru my phone but if course voice control is nice. It never made sense to me that the echo only worked with Bluetooth as a receiver/speaker as being connected to the internet connecting it to my phone was if limited value.
I can’t decide between black or white. The black will blend in better with the 2 likely places in going to put it but I like the way the white one looks and might want a little contrast. Maybe I’ll get 2.

They give 1 free if you buy 5. Come on, group up people :smiley:

I ordered 5+1, can sell some to someone else for $300 each if they want them… kidding, that’s before tax.

3 Likes

That’s awesome. I only got two as I have 3 echos.

I was getting ready to buy the Ecobee this week before the furnace season starts. So I get a Dot for free now. Score! I already have an Echo in my kitchen and can’t wait to get one upstairs too.

4 Likes