Alexa + SmartThings + IFTTT + Harmony to turn TV on and off by voice (2015 version)

After working perfectly for weeks, I am suddenly experiencing long delays (up to 10minutes at a time) between giving Alexa a command and IFTTT actually executing the action. That makes it sort of useless for controlling my TV.

Anybody else having this problem? I appreciate any ideas on how to fix it.

Same here! I actually just came on to ask the same question. Seems like it started yesterday. I tried reconnecting the accounts, but it didn’t work. I think it might be on Amazon’s side not IFTTT, if I check the recipes on IFTTT they work fine. It happens with any IFTTT Alexa recipe, not just harmony. Alexa is just not sending the commands out or they are delayed for an extremely long time.

I suspect it is an IFTTT side issue because all other commands going through Alexa work fine for me. I know many IFTTT triggers have a delay because the IFTTT servers manage load by polling for triggers every 15 minutes or so. I just assumed the Harmony channel was an exception.

Mine was slow for about 10 hours, then came back to my typical 8 seconds. I didn’t do anything to fix it. My guess is IFTTT or Harmony got temporarily overloaded with Christmas customers. We’ll see how it goes for the next week.

Yeah, everything is working fine for me now. I only get a 3-5 second delay.

1 Like

Anyone have an issue where the commands only work when the soft key screen is on? I have an Ultimate and if the remote is “asleep” the command doesn’t work. If I shake the remote so that it is “awake” it works perfectly…

First, thanks for all who offer support /advice. Awesome community.

I’m having an issue I just cannot work through for both using the Logitech Harmony (Connect) SmartApp and then a completely different issue using IFTTT…

Smartthings issues discovering Harmony Hubs

I’d much rather add both Harmony Hubs via the Smartthings app to control the hubs via Echo but no matter what I’ve done, I can’t even get the Smartthings Logitech Harmony SmartApp to discover my 2 Harmony Hubs (or either of the 2 Hubs). I receive an immediate ‘Connection to the hub timed out’, Please restart the hub and try again’ message appears after clicking on the SmartApp. Regardless of deleting the SmartApp and adding it back in, I can’t get around this issue.

Following is for IFTTT issues I’m seeing

Hardware: I have an Echo, Smartthings (v2) and 2 Harmony Hubs (Smart Control).

Goal: Control upstairs and (separate) basement Harmony Hub via Echo (Power On, Power Off, Change Channels, etc)

Issue: Using IFTTT, only one Harmony Hub is detected (basement). Upstairs Hub is nowhere to be found although works as appropriate through Logitech remote/ Logitech app to control TV, Roku, (it’s not dead).

Note: Using Echo to control the basement Harmony Hub works with no issue.

Troubleshooting efforts:
-Unplugged basement Harmony Hub, yet IFTTT doesn’t see the Harmony Hub that is online (upstairs). Nothing appears in IFTTT.
-Attempted to delete recipe in IFTTT and re-add. Only basement appears
-Renamed activities so they are different
-Renamed Hubs in Logitech so they are different
-Renamed Hubs in my router so they have different names
-Saw a response (albeit dated) from Logitech suggesting I cannot give Static IP addresses. Apparently, I cannot.

I’m out of ideas. Any thoughts?
End of day, I’d like to control both upstairs and basement via Echo. We mainly sit upstairs so it’s unfortunate the basement appears /works and upstairs does not.

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. :disappointed_relieved:

1. there is a recent issue for many members which prevents adding a second hub using the official smartthings integration. More discussion in the following topic. Report it to support@smartthungs.com

The issue is being tracked in the community-created wiki

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Bug:_Cannot_add_second_Harmony_hub

1. from the IFTTT side, first see if you can get the harmony channel to show you more than one hub, independent of anything from SmartThings. Just create a recipe where you use anything for the if, and when you go to select harmony for the That, see if it shows you both hubs. If it does not, you would need to contact logitech support to see if there is a way to get access to the second hub.

No one is having this problem?

Don’t have the ultimate myself. Just the Logitech Hub. Figured I would use the tablet as the controller. Never had that problem

I only have the hub. Quite honestly, because I can’t convince the wife that using a remote will increase the WAF, it basically gets used to turn on and off the various AV systems…but not much else. Sorry, can’t help.

I could solve the problem by not letting it go to sleep but then I’d be charging that remote constantly…

For what it’s worth, I don’t need IFTTT to do all of this:

1. Connect SmartThings to Harmony with the Logitech Harmony (Connect) SmartApp. During install, include the proper Harmony Activities. In this example, I have two activites: Apple TV and Xbox.
  2. Connect SmartThings to Amazon Echo with the Amazon Echo SmartApp + “Alexa, discover my devices.”
  3. Now, simply tell Alexa what you want:
    “Alexa, turn on the Apple TV”
    “Alexa, flip on the Xbox”
    “Alexa, kick the Xbox off”

No triggers needed, response is instantaneous, and on/off work appropriately.

But not today…seriously, all the external system integrations that control SmartThings devices broke today, including IFTTT, Harmony, and Echo.

Mine can do that as well but when you turn on devices does Alexa tell you it cannot do that command? For some reason the command works but it’s irritating to hear her say that every time. She has no objection when turning off however…

Interesting. Mine has been responding fine all day. On those days, I just resort to the switches in the house. Part of the price to pay for cloud-connected, evergreen services, I suppose, but it still works I guess.

And no, Alexa just responds with “OK.” To on/off requests for Harmony. Maybe I got lucky?

Mine does the exact same thing. Something about that device does not support that command…but it all works. Only happens with turning on… I’d like to stop it as well, as it’s annoying, but the commands function, so…

The exact setup was working fine until about 24 hours ago (“Alexa, turn on TV”). Suddenly NONE of my IFTTT recipes are firing. Confirmed that Harmony, WEMO and IFTTT is working fine on their own (and other recipes).

@Todd_Whitehead asked how to set up a Harmony activity that will shift to a desired channel such as ESPN TV. This will apply no matter which integration method you’re using, because the first step is always to create a Harmony activity that does what you want.

As long as you have a home entertainment device controlled by the Harmony that has Channel selection, you should be able to enter that channel number as a step in the starting sequence for the activity. Here are my screenshots for the ESPN TV channel, which is 724 in my area. The channel control device is the Xfinity set top box (STB) not the television itself. So that’s the device I’m going to select for the activity step.

( Harmony also has a field that let you set the starting channel for the activity and not use the step set up, but as the others have discussed above, that doesn’t seem to always work. I’m not sure why. You can try and see if it does work, but if it doesn’t, try putting the channel in a step instead as shown in the screenshot below.)

This is a screenshot of my ESPN TV harmony activity. Noticed that I have not used the “starting channel” option. Instead channel selection will be part of my start sequence.

So I would edit the start sequence, and choose the set-top box (STB) as the device I want to work with. So I’m going to start by selecting “edit entertainment devices.”

Now I can choose add a step, and then choose the STB.

Now I have two choices for the step. If I click on “command” it will show me a list of the possible commands for this device and I can pick one for the step.

Or I can just enter the channel number I want into the second box. That’s what i’m going to do. In this case, it’s channel 724.

Save all the updates by using the icons in the top right corner of each screen until you have completely save the activity. Then save your settings, and when you come back to your harmony app, synch as usual.

So that’s how I do it, by using the channel option in a step of the activity start sequence. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Mine does this also. Turning on works, but Alexa still gives the error message. Turning off works with no error message.