Ok…newbie here and yes, I am one of those that just bought an Echo on Prime day, but I am not new to home automation. I previously had an Iris system and we have since sold that house and bought a new one, so I thought this was the time to make the change to Alexa. So far I haven’t had much luck with getting voice commands to work. Alexa just responds cannot find ‘devicename’. Here is what I have done so far.
- I successfully setup the smartthings hub and device and the device works fine in the smartthings app.
- Installed the smartthings skill and discovered my device (device in question is the smartthings smart outlet). Alexa discovers the device fine, everytime.
- Removed the skill and re-enabled it many times
- Reset the Echo back to factory and started over. Again - all devices discover fine, but voice commands don’t work.
- Renamed the device, rediscovered, still doesn’t work
- Put device in a group, voice commands don’t work for the group either
- I have verified that the smartapp in the smartthings app has the slider enabled that allows access for alexa to all devices and routines.
- I have also had this same exact issues with the TP-Link plugs. Everything worked in the TP-Link Kasa app, but Alexa would always respond that she couldn’t find the device with a voice command.
Please tell me I am doing something stupid and there is a simple fix. I don’t want to have to return everything and start over looking for a new solution.
Thanks in advance