Alert when door opens after certain time = classic app

Hi guys,

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to set an alert for when the door is opened after a certain time using the classic app. Or if there’s a way to do this on the new app where it sends SMS messages if a door is open after a certain time. Thanks!

The details matter a lot with these kinds of rules. You should definitely be able to do it, although exactly how you will do it depends on exactly what you were trying to do.

“Is opened”? Or “Is open”?

Those are two very different conditions, because with the first one there is an event which can trigger logic, where with the second one the system has to go look and see if the door is open.

Also, what do you mean by “set an alert“? Do you mean do something with the official smart home monitor feature? Or do you just mean receive a text or receive a push notification?

Sorry to be so picky, but the method will be different depending on the answers to these questions. :sunglasses:

Download the SmartApp “Something left open” that one is under Energy Management in the Classic app.

My use:

When my door has been open for 1 minute it gives me a notification and when it has been open for 10min my siren starts!

/Thekholm

3 Likes

Hi thanks for your reply.

I think both? It’s for an elderly parent and I’m worried about them opening the door at night or leaving the door open.

Receiving a text or push notification would be best!

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m not feeling well today, so this will be brief but I’m sure other people will pop in to help.

“ opens” during a certain time Is easy. :sunglasses:You can either create a custom smart home monitor automation or use the “notify me when” smart app.

For “notify me when,“ go to the marketplace, then “safety and security“ then choose “notify me when“ and follow the instructions. Here are the screenshots of that process:

“Is open” At a certain time is more complicated. I don’t know if there’s a way to do that in the new V3 app or not. You could certainly do it with webcore. See the community FAQ:

How to Get Started Creating Complex Rules in SmartThings (2017) (SmartThings Classic)

Also for use cases like this it is important to know that smartThings can fail in two different ways: either by giving you a false positive alert or by failing to report an event when it should. Not only does the company not guarantee reliability, they tell you not to rely on it:

https://www.smartthings.com/guidelines

Data accuracy and consistency from SmartThings sensors, including those provided by SmartThings directly, resold by SmartThings, or supported by SmartThings, is not guaranteed. Therefore, you should not rely on that data for any use that impacts health, safety, security, property or financial interests.

So it’s fine if you want it for an additional convenience notification, but it should not be your only method for monitoring a family member for safety.