Aeotec Smart Home Hub/2018/2015 Model Hub Firmware Hotfix Notes - 0.46.10

Got an email that they are having issues.

Then my V2 hub just got the update. It went offline for a couple of minutes then came back online. But can’t control any devices (mostly zwave). Then it went offline again. I just checked the IDE, and the event list shows disconnected, active, disconnected, active… etc.

Looks like they messed up. Again. Sigh…

This must be a doozy. I’ve gotten 4 progressively worse news emails in under an hour starting at 6:56 pm Eastern tonight.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about the details of this problem, but I can say that it’s not uncommon in a runaway messaging situation on any platform that you can’t get the hub to talk to the cloud long enough to get the firmware updated again so the problem gets solved. It’s one of the things that makes denial of service attacks so tricky.

Again, I don’t know if that’s what’s going on here, but if it is, they’ve got some work to do. :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah. But in the meantime, I will have lights at a location that I won’t be visiting for a while that may not turn off as scheduled tonight. And what’s more concerning is that leak sensors and motion detectors won’t be reporting.

And as I am typing this, I get this

1 Like

A reboot does appear to have gotten my Z-wave devices back online. Device reporting is a little lagged - I assume that’ll catch up over time.

1 Like

I was about to add that I can’t restart it like they suggested in the email because I am not at the location of my affected hub. But since I was logged in to the IDE I thought I would give it a try. Seems that the reboot link in the utilities section still works! My hub rebooted and it looks like I have control again over the z-wave devices.

2 Likes

So here’s a question. If they have a fix for the problem but my V2 hub may still be problematic for the next 12 hours, will they push out the “fixed” version to my 2nd hub, a V3 Aeotec hub, which is still on 46.08 when it gets its turn, or will I have to go through this a second time? :rofl:

Have to wonder why this wasn’t found in the beta release?

Beta user pool not large enough?

It’s a driver update which rolls out to any hub version over a 12 hour period

Should still be beta tested.

In my day job i have to jump through so many hoops to get something from Dev → QC → Prod.

For sure. It’s in beta for a week before going to prod, so looks like the test scripts need to be updated :grimacing:

2 Likes

I have used this for years. I just use the Smartthings sensor and set it to trigger a light color if the temperature falls below 34 degrees. It is local and I have tested it locally too by unplugging the internet. It is only in the last two days that it has been flaky.

Technically “weather” and “temperature” are two different things. You can change the temperature with an air conditioner or a heater. You can’t change the weather. So, yes, you can definitely measure temperature with a local device.

What brand and model of sensor are you using to get the temperature?

Good lord, how did y’all manage to screw this up so badly???

EDIT: Just like many others, rebooting didn’t fix the z-wave device issue. Hubitat is truly calling my name, because this kind of issue is beyond unacceptable.

The problem didn’t exist in the beta channel. It was a bad merge onto the production branch. You can see the base file has dropped two lines for whatever reason.

3 Likes

I see two particular issues:

• It is rather an informal beta programme. Indeed it was introduced as a preview programme more than anything. There really isn’t a robust way of reporting issues. The same for the production drivers as we need to see what is being reported. The Lua libraries are even worse. They could do with their own repository. The CLI is OK as the low noise and low volume means submitting issues via GitHub is very effective, and GitHub is the home of CLI anyway. With Edge drivers there isn’t a front door to knock on, and the libraries just live in a cupboard somewhere.
  • Somewhat tied in with the above is that we score own goals on the community. A user reports an issue with a stock driver and a frequent response is to redirect them to a community driver that is working. So the stock driver remains broken.
5 Likes

Says resolved but still not working, yet it is 22 degrees F outside.

I have not mentioned weather. I use the standard Smarthings multipurpose sensor (open close / vibration / temperature.) for the routine. If = Temperature is equal or below 34f, Then = Turn on, Color Blue, Dimmer 100 percent.

As I previous said, I have used this for years with no issue. ST also needs to include a option to return to previous status for the lights instead of just having on and off.

2 Likes

My apologies: I confused this with a previous conversation about weather tracking. My bad.

Anyway, yes, I agree with you that it should be up to the user to decide whether a switch should turn on/off when other attributes like color or dim level are changed. And definitely this sort of thing shouldn’t be pushed out as an undocumented and unannounced platform change! :rage:

1 Like

Still my devices specifically tasmota are not working !
SmartThings are really becoming annoying with a lot of changes and failed upgrades impacting millions of devices. And shaking confidence in the platform.
I’m pretty sure it’s about time to work on stable alternatives .