Aeotec Nano Dimmer without neutral

I’ve been reading a number of forum threads about how to deal with wiring without a neutral (my home has a lot of them), and an Aeotec Nano Dimmer has been recommended. I have some basic wiring knowledge, but figuring out how to safely (and within code) deal without neutrals has been difficult.

As I understand it, the Nano Dimmer can work without a neutral if the load is >= 20W. I have 6 x 9.5W LEDs (older models) and even though I’ve checked the wiring on the Nano Dimmer several times, the lights actually stay on when using the existing single pole switch. I can control them via SmartThings but they don’t dim or brighten very much either.

Why might this be? If there wasn’t enough wattage seeping through the lights, shouldn’t the lights just not come on at all? The switch is terminal, i.e. it’s just a single romex bundle coming from the lights. The LEDs are dimmable.

Did you ever get the Aeotec Dual Nano switch to work without a neutral?

First rule of home automation: the model number matters.

The aeotec dimmer models can be wired without a neutral. The switch models cannot. The physics are different. see the manual.

From the manufacturer’s site:

Fully compatible with standard indoor and outdoor bulbs, there are two major things that Nano Switch can’t do: dim lights and work without a neutral wire.