Aeotec Nano Dimmer - Switch required?

Hello all,

I have 5 lights in my house all on the same switch, there’s no neutral in my switch box so I’m looking at alternative solutions.

I’m looking at the Aeotec Nano Dimmers as an option, I’m thinking of putting a Nano dimmer into each of the light fixtures so that I can control them all individually.

My question is, all the wiring diagrams for these devices show a physical switch in play, but I’m wondering if I can wire this up without a physical switch and just use Smartthings to control each of them.

I really don’t care if the physical light switch never works again, I’m even thinking of connecting line and load in the switch and blanking it off with a cover plate.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Steve.

I would think connected bulbs would be easier.

Hi Steve,

Yes - you can use the Aeotec Nano Dimmer or Switch without an external switch, however I would recommend using one as if you need to reset/exclude the switch module at a later date it is much easier to do this from an external switch without opening the backbox - also if SmartThings isn’t responding you still have a failover option.

If you are happy not to have an external switch - you can go ahead and wire the load direct to the Aeotec Dimmer.

Best wishes,
Guy

2 Likes

Depending on where you live, you may be required to have a working switch on the wall. If nothing else, you want it to be obvious to first responders how the lights work. :sunglasses:

Thanks all

@Terminal - I’m replacing connected bulbs with filament LED bulbs, and I can’t find connected filament bulbs - let me know if you know of any!!

@Guy1992 / @JDRoberts - thanks for the advice, I’ll keep the switch in play then!

Appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Rumor is that Phillips hue has a smart filament bulb coming out this fall, but I don’t know which countries yet:

1 Like

I can’t wait that long… I’m a man of instant gratification!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes