Aeotec Nano Dimmer no neutral needed

Well it is finally here a dimmer switch that doesn’t need a neutral wire. I just viewed this so I haven’t even done search if anyone already has one. http://aeotec.com/z-wave-light-dimmer-switch The big thing is it doesn’t need a neutral, so all those people that want to go smart without a huge cost, they have a way now.

3 Likes

This is an interesting feature:

I agree… I wonder how controlling their speeds works?

I’m interested in this one.

I just got mine from Amazon today… My plan is to hook it up in the ceiling box to control a ceiling fan (with no physical switch attached), while I have another smart switch/dimmer in the wall to control the lights on the ceiling fan. I’m pretty sure it’s doable, but I need to tear everything out and maybe pull another wire up to the ceiling to supply a non-switched hot wire. Once I get this done I’ll post here in the forums with my impressions of this module.

1 Like

Hi everyone

I am looking to buy 1 of these to try on my network.
Its smaller than Fibaro equivilent and doesnt need a neutral :wink:

Is there a device handler available?
What the integration like?

There are DH’s for the previous models and they don’t appear to play nicely with this new (ZW111-C) model.
It pairs with ST hub just fine and using the default Z-Wave relay DH, it seems to function OK but you loose a lot of the potential functionality without a dedicated DH.

I’m asking in the Developer corner for possible solutions now.

Hello all.

I have a half dozen aeotec micro dimmers installed. Work fine with custom DH or even the generic ST dimmer device types. Lights are controllable. On off and dim.

Gangs are tight and some cans flicker. So I’ve been waiting on the Nano dimmers. Delivered yesterday.

I’ve installed them in several gangs with several lights. Lights that previously dimmed. The new nano dimmer doesn’t appear to dim any light in any configuration. I’ve swapped device types etc. No beuno.

Any suggestions on DH or DT or some way to check configuration?

This ‘Z-Wave Tweaker’ might help in configuration. Use it to configure the device then revert back to your original DH to use the Dimmers as normal:

https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/tree/master/devices/zwave-tweaker

@dalec I’ve got a couple of the KOF controllers coming in the mail and am committed to your DTH to control my fans, but… I’m just wondering if you ever tried the Aeotec nano for fan control? Is it capable of a continuous range of speeds?

Nope, that device is only rated for lighting loads not motor control

Have you gotten these to work and if so how ? Thanks

I actually haven’t even gotten around to installing this yet. Decided on a different location, so the project is delayed for a bit.

After a few conversations back and forth… Aeotech Helped me get it up and running but not in the way I was hoping.
The Nano Dimmer only works the lights Saddly . If you want the wiring Let me know and Ill post that. But they recommended the NANO Switch for controlling the ON and OFF of both the Lights and the Fan. And sent me wiring info for that. I can post that also… Thanks hope this helps you also.

Wow, really? All the documentation I’ve read said it will work with ceiling fans, and that’s the reason I purchased it. Hmm.

Yeah, if you have any wiring instructions/schematics, please share, I’m sure I’ll get around to messing with this eventually.

Thanks!

This is the entire conversation from Aeotec Chris was very helpful…

Lights:

You could use our Nano Switch for the Light portion of the Fan and Light combo.

The Nano Dimmer terminals are: L N OUT COM S1 S2 (in this order from left to right on the device).

The connection terminals would be like this:

L = connects to Black (Hot)
N = connects to White (Neutral)
OUT = connects to blue wire (Light input)
COM and S1 = are connected directly to the 2 terminals on the external switch.

You can leave S2 disconnected if you don’t have any reason to use it.

I would consider capping Ground as Nano Dimmer does not use this.

Fan:

My suggestion would be to use our Nano Switch, the Nano Dimmer is not suitable for fan motors while fan motors use a different method to set the speed of the Fan which is why I recommend the Switch instead.

The Nano Switch has 6 terminals: N L IN OUT S1 S2 (in this order on the nano switch device).

IN = Bridges to L connection or Black (Hot) connection
OUT = connects to black wire (fan input)

S1 = needs high voltage for switching connection, connects to one of the terminals of the external switch.
External Switch = Has 2 connections, one is connected to S1, while the second is connected to high voltage.

On my Nano Dimmer I did not connect anything beyond the Blue wire as I didn’t have any reason to since Im bypassing the switch anyways. And Yes I read the same thing hence why I did what you did and bought the Nano Dimmer. So from practice it does not work… the light strobes and runs around 40% brightness and the fan vibrates while it is spinning. so next test is the Nano Switch… Hope this helps… (give me a few weeks to get one Im in-between jobs atm)

2 Likes

Sorry here is the NANO Dimmer hookups… they also added the hookup for Nano Switch

Yes, the Nano Switch or Dimmer do bypass the switch while the external switch is an optional use case in this case. Another possible option, if you don’t need dimming at all, then you could simply wire Fan and Light directly to the Nano Switch as a method to turn it ON/OFF only.

Based on your message it seems like Nano Switch may be all you need.

The connections would be as such:

The Nano Switch has 6 terminals: N L IN OUT S1 S2 (in this order on the nano switch device).

IN = Bridges to L connection or Black (Hot) connection
OUT = connects to black wire (fan input) and Blue Wire (light input) //This will turn both light and fan on and off at the same time. (you may need to cap both input wires together for Blue and black, and extend a third wire that connects the 2 into Nano Switch).

Optional wiring
S1 = needs high voltage for switching connection, connects to one of the terminals of the external switch.
External Switch = Has 2 connections, one is connected to S1, while the second is connected to high voltage.

If you don’t want the external switch, then it is possible just to leave S1 and S2 unconnected.

2 Likes

The European version of that device is rated to work with European wiring and some (but not all) European style ceiling fan motors.

The US version of that device is only rated to work with lighting.

This has caused a lot of confusion, but the fact is the wiring is different in the two regions and sometimes that does affect Device capabilities.

If you are in the EU, talk to Vesternet tech-support about the specific fan model that you have to see if it is compatible.

If you’re in the US, the product description is different, and the Device will not work safely with ceiling fan motors.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/aeotec-by-aeon-labs-z-wave-plus-nano-dimmer-zw111

Sweet, thanks man! Good info!

Thanks for the link to thesmartesthouse.com LOVING it…