Aeotec Nano Dimmer Features

Hi,
Might someone be able to confirm if the Aeotec Nano Dimmer, when paired with the ST hub, makes use of Z-Wave “Association Group 4”? i.e. is able to use Nano Dimmer S1 input to control local load, and S2 to control a separate individual or grouped devices?

For example, 2 gang, 2 way wall mounted switch with Nano Dimmer behind.
1 switch controls the ceiling lights (local load) via S1 on the Nano Dimmer, and a separate switch controls smart plugs for standing lamps via S2 on the Nano Dimmer?

Any help is appreciated. UK-based.

Yes, based on the Nano dimmer engineering sheet, S1 can be used to toggle the local load, while S2 can control a separate individual or other switch/dimmer devices directly ON/OFF.

Although I am unsure how to set Group Associations via SmartThings hub, perhaps someone else in the forum would be able to answer this one.

Parameter setting explaination and setting based on wanted application

I can advise the changes that you’ll need to make in order for this to work:

Parameter 123 [1 byte] will deal with how S1 controls in your network (Association Group 3)

Parameter 124 [1 byte] will deal with how S2 controls in your network. (Association Group 4)

The range of values are: 1 - 3

1: control the output load of itself
2: control other nodes only
3. control the output load of itself and other nodes.

To be very specific about what you are looking for:
S1 - control load only
S2 - control Group 4 associated devices only.

For this case you would set these parameter settings:

Parameter 123 [1 byte] = 1 //set only to control the local load

Parameter 124 [1 byte] = 2 //set to control Group Association 4 (maximum 5 devices per Z-Wave specifications over group associations)

By default, these settings are set to 3 for both load and association group control.

Most likely a new device handler would need to be developed to bring this application to life.

Thanks to Hard work by a community member, @zcapr17 , the simplest way to set different association groups now is to use the Z wave tweaker device type handler. :sunglasses:

You add the device to your network as usual, then temporarily change the device type handler to the tweaker.

You use the tweaker to set associations and other parameters as desired, then switch back to the every day device type handler.

This will work for any zwave device.

1 Like

Looking over the Z-Wave Tweaker, looks like you can set device configurations without having to program it. Its pretty genius :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all very much!
I’ll give the device tweaker a go and see about setting the device config.

Would you know which device handler to use long-term? I was reading on the forum somewhere about the erocm123: Aeon DSC17103 Micro Double Switch device handler.
This is for the previous version of the Aeotec Dimmer. Would anyone be able to say if it is still the same for the newest Nano Dimmer?

Obviously, I may be able to answer this myself later this evening when I’ve had a chance to play with it. I’ll post back here. But I did do a quick check of it last night and found the switches in the App turn on but don’t turn off… didn’t get a chance to actually try the Nano with a ‘real’ load though.

Hmm, the Nano Dimmer is much different than the Micro Double Switch. The Nano Dimmer would best be used with a Z-Wave Metering Dimmer for now.

I don’t know of too many Micro Dimmer G2 device handlers out there, but most Dimmer device handlers will work with Nano Dimmer.

The S1 and S2 controls are purely from the Nano Dimmer itself and doesn’t actuate as switches in a Z-Wave network. So you’ll need to mess with the SmartApp Z-Wave Tweaker to activate it.

Looking at Z-Wave tweaker, it may be the only smartapp you’ll need with the default device handler to modify your Nano Dimmer.

I’ll start playing around with the SmartApp next week, but if you need help, i’ll see if i can help you with direct steps.

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you all so far! I’ve managed to tweak the parameters so it all seems to look right. Setting Assoc. Group 4, Configuring S2 to control other devices etc.

But…I can’t see a way to have the App control S1 or S2 though. The Metering Dimmer handler only operates a single switch. I need something that give me a ‘button’ in ST for S1 and another for S2…

any ideas out there? :slight_smile:

Still not managed to find anything.
ST support hasn’t got, tested or played with the new Nano Dimmer yet so couldn’t assist.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on how to ‘tap into’ S1 and S2 on the Nano Dimmer to control both local load and Z-Wave devices via the ST app? TIA :slight_smile:

Hi there, got a question out with Vesternet a UK supplier, but maybe someone can advise, it looks like you can support 2 individual lighting circuits on the Nano Dimmer.

Can someone confirm this and is there an out of the box handler to do this?

Hi, yes you can. But there’s currently no Device Handler out there to get the functionality.
I did raise a post in the developers section and I think some peeps are taking a look. But it’s still very new that even neither Aeotec or ST have had a chance to play with each other (so to speak!).

Would be interested to see if you find out anymore as I’m in the same position.

Interestingly Vesternet say that you cannot control two individual lighting circuits… http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-aeon-labs-nano-dimmer-gen5#toggle-qa (may have to reveal the answer).

With the Nano as both are marked as Load then I would have thought that would be different than the Fibaro Dimmer 2 where one is marked as load and one is marked as non load.

I’m sorry, I got that completely wrong in my previous reply. It can’t control 2 separate lighting circuits but apparently should be able to control 2 separate instances. e.g. 1x Lighting load and 1x individual/group Z-Wave devices (like floor lamps with smart sockets etc.).

Is anyone working on a decent DH for this? @cjcharles do you have anything that would do the job?

You mean a device handler which associates the dim down button (S2) with a totally separate zwave device? Or one which supports it more generally? I don’t know if the Fibaro dimmer 2 DTHs work with this dimmer, but if so I would use that and then add something like the one below temporarily, so you can create the zwave association for dim down.

If the Fibaro device doesn’t work with the device then I guess that will need some tweaking. To use the second switch on the Aeotec for a different device I’m pretty sure you can’t do it with a DTH unless you combine with CoRE, better to do it with the zwave associations.

1 Like

Im trying to figure out how to run this as a Switch only and stop the dimmer function.

Think it’s parameter 131 and 132 both 1 bit and set them too 99, you also need to adjust the speed to 1 second from 3 (125) rings a bell. If you go to their website they have ST DH for this device that allows you to set all the parameters, use that and you should be good.

I put in the new Device handler have not had time to play with it…Ill let yo know but Im posting some Exciting news about V3 hub :slight_smile:

NICE that works like a charm … I think I need to get another now to run my garage due to the flicker now gone
That worked great. Thank you so much … (the light is just outside my room so it was easy to test hehe)
But the from 3 to 1 came up on number 124 when I changed the Dimming ramp speed. and the Device Handler worked great. also . Thanks again for that.

Hi @cjcharles, i’m looking at this again as hoping to use this devices rather than the fibaro as i can update the firmware of the Aeotec stuff. my plan was to use the S2 to turn OFF/ON a zigbee device as well as dimm it up/ down. obviously i would need webcore for this but that’s fine, do you think its even possible to expose the inputs?

You’ll have to take a look at live logging to see what events occur, and hence whether it’s possible to change the handler to forward dimming commands to a child device (which in turn could be linked to another device). It might be possible to configure it with the ‘zwave device tweaker’ device handler, but if your other device is Zigbee rather than Zwave then indeed it will need to be done through CoRE/Webcore.

I havent even seen the device handler for this device, but that would be my expectation at least!!