Aeon Labs Nano Dimmer (zw111-a)

I purchased a few zw111-a devices and I am having issues. When I wire them up based on the documentation (with neutral) I can get the nano switch to work properly, however the manual wall switch does not toggle the light off / on. Nothing happens at all. I’ve tried multiple nano switches in different areas, and same result. I changed the manual switch, same results. All attempts to get this working have a single switch operating one light source…so a very basic configuration. One set of lights are CFLs and the other was LEDs…same results.

I check continuity between com and s1 and all good. Also all good at the manual switch too.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

continuity (short) between COM and S1 seems wrong. COM+S1 has to be a sensor/input. If you accidentally wire L/line to S1 (as for some version maybe the NANO-SWITCH-not-dimmer that cannot handle it then I can imagine S1 being damaged.

otherwise you probably need to setup (external switch detection). This link is super-old so read the instructions with your hardware

The diagram in the article is also confuisng since there is no COM.

Here’s a link to the device handler it will give you the option to change your switch type.

Thanks! I got this reply from aeon labs support…probably in the link you forwarded…only problem now is that it takes 3-4 seconds for the lights to turn on or off when flipping the manual switch. Seems a bit crazy. I have a bunch of the older micro switches, and those are immediate.

There are actually 2 different methods that you can approach this issue, (1) use your gateway to send in the configuration settings, or (2) manually toggle the internal button of Nano to force it into switch detection mode.

Method 1 - Parameter settings

If you have an understand on how to use your gateway to send in parameter settings, you can refer to the below parameter settings.

Method 2 - Manually forcing Nano to enter switch detection mode for S1 or S2

Try forcing the Nano to enter external switch detection mode again (For S1):

1. Tap the Nano button 4x times within 1-2 seconds which will force Nano to enter External Switch detection mode. (LED will flash blue)
  2. Flip your external switch once, then wait at a minimum 10 seconds before you flip the switch again.
  3. Now test your external switch.

Try forcing the Nano to enter external switch detection mode again (For S2):

1. Tap the Nano button 6x times within 1-2 seconds which will force Nano to enter External Switch detection mode. (LED will flash green)
  2. Flip your external switch once, then wait at a minimum 10 seconds before you flip the switch again.

Perhaps you need to adjust the dimming speed to make your light come on faster and also adjust the minimum brightness. This can all be done in the device handler I linked to you.

Here’s another update from AEOTEC.

ZW111 is a Nano Dimmer device, it takes longer to turn off since it takes default 3 seconds to dim from whatever % it is in an ON state to OFF.

​ie. 50% to OFF takes 3 seconds

ie. 100% to OFF takes 3 seconds

​You can lower the amount of time it takes to dim up and down by setting:

Parameter 125 [1 byte] = 1

This will set the dim time to 1 second if you want something faster or more instant.

With the device handler Adam forwarded off and the info from AEOTEC, things are working. Thanks for your help!