I had my system running nicely on the old smartthing app, but have been struggling since switching to the new app. I have 3x Fibaro Dimmer 2’s, one controlling a main light with an additional switch. The other two control seperate lamps in the room. Before, I used the settings in the main light Dimmer 2 to send commands to Association Groups #4 & #5 which allowed me to turn the lamp Dimmer 2’s on from the extra switch on the main light Dimmer 2. Now that function is not working and the lamp Dimmer 2’s themselves only work properly when I use ‘Fibaro Dimmer 2 ZW5’ as the type rather than the old DH from codersaur. ZW5 does not handle Association Groups, so i’m not sure what to do next!
Any idea how I can get the Association Group settings working again?
Check to see what security level the devices are at. One big difference between now and a year or so ago is that now devices which support S2 security may join with S2 security enabled, and at that point they can only be associated to other devices with S2 security enabled.
Here’s the thread with the recent discussion that @philh30 mentioned. The topic title is a clickable link. It’s a long conversation, because he ended up trying a lot of different things before finding something that worked. But it’s possible that your issue might be one of those earlier things so I would start from the beginning of those posts.
My main problem was that I had parameter 29 set to 1, which effectively switches S1 and S2. Which means the switch connected by wires to S1 was triggering S2 and not S1. This then forced me to set parameter 26 to 1 ie ‘3-way switch’ enabled, just to get the physical light switch turning the connected light on and off.
@philh30 then showed me how to use the tweaker2 and the logs on the Smarthings IDE to read and change these parameter values. I changed both 29 and 26 to 0.
I also had to make sure that parameter 27 was set to 15 as the associations only worked if sent as secure.
Your current parameter settings may be different to mine, so I recommend you use the tweaker2 to interrogate the parameter settings. You turn on the live logs in the ide and then use the tweaker to publish the current parameter settings. Then see if you have the same issue as me, or at least look through what you have and see if anything is obviously wrong. Use the tweaker2 to change.
I then set association normally, using Association Group 2 (as I am using S1 to trigger my associations), but it sounds like you use S3 and S4. Which should be fine to use S2 to trigger your associations.
The last part to really get the Fibaros working well with the Hub is to set Association Group 1 to ‘1’ which @JDRoberts and @philh30 indicated ensures the Fibaro communicates latest status to the SmartThings Hub.
But also read the mail trail @JDRoberts refers to. Hopefully you know how to add the Tweaker2 to your Device Handlers but, if not, let us know and we can help. I found the code and copied it manually and pasted it as a new Device Handler, but there are probably easier ways.
Just to note. There were still niggling problems in relation to my Fibaro Dimmers providing up to date status to the hub. I did some exploring in the SmartThings IDE and discovered that I had previously manually published an earlier version of the Fibaro Device Handler. I assume I did this prior to SmartThings housing a native Fibaro Dimmer 2 Device Handler. I have now deleted this old version, and associated all my Dimmers to the standard version, and status updates update promptly and consistently, so that is great. So not sure if any long standing users are suffering from the same problem.
I have one pesky problem which I cannot resolve and wonder if anyone has any ideas. If I exclude one of my Fibaro Dimmer 2’s and then include using the native add device for Fibaro Dimmers, once SmartThings discovers them, it associates them with the device handler for Fibaro FGR-222, instead of the native Fibaro Dimmer 2 ZW5 device handler. This is frustrating as when I manually switch to the native Fibaro Dimmer 2 device handler, Parameter 29 is switched to reverse the S1 and S2, and hence my physical switch doesn’t work. I can then change Parameter 29 to 0 using the ZWave Tweaker which gets S1 and the physical switch working, and all is good.
But any idea how I might try and prevent my Fibaro modules from defaulting to FGR-222? A friend has a completely new set up and his devices associate correctly to the native Fibaro Dimmer 2 ZW5 driver when adding to SmartThings. I’d thought when I exclude my Fibaro Modules and re-include them, that they revert to Factory Default settings, so would have assumed mine would work too.
Fingerprinting in DTHs has become less dependable since the Edge beta started. I’m seeing zigbee devices initially join as z-wave repeaters.
If you want to improve the chances of yours mapping properly, the best I could suggest would be to self-publish a copy of the stock DTH that you want to use. Custom DTHs seem to get priority in the fingerprinting process. You can then swap to the real stock DTH if that one runs local.
Thanks. I keep being reminded that I am still very inexperienced in these parts. Realised all I needed to do was to delete the custom Device Handler I had for FGR-222. Now when I include a Fibaro Dimmer it associates to the Native Device Handler. So all good now!
In some ways, I think SmartThings gets some unfair flack from reasonably long standing Users like me. I think I had to do more customisation when I first joined in 2018, due to non native support of Fibaro, and I think that has actually got in the way of me benefitting from the native Fibaro support they now have!
Think things are much better now and I’ll report back in a few weeks hopefully to give SmartThings some much needed positive feedback… acknowledging that the experience may not be the same for other users of other brands…