Aeon Labs Multisensor Gen5 - Not Connecting Properly

@Smartthings, are there plans to support the gen5 version of this sensor?

Yes weā€™re working on it (as of yesterday). It should be available soon if there are no complications.

Sorry weā€™ve been slow to support new devices. We are under-staffed in the device development and submission approval dept but weā€™re working on that. Also sometimes we get advance info/samples of devices and sometimes we miss them.

According to this website, you can update the multi sensor firmware with a PC, but you canā€™t use the included USB cable as it only supports power. Obtain the correct USB data cable and you can update the firmware.

The firmware is available here and once unzipped, itā€™s an .exe file:

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor/1270-multisensor-firmware.html

Hi Duncan,
Itā€™s good to hear you guys are on top of it.

Off topic, but any word on when we might see the official Nest integration?

There is now an official device type published for the Aeon Multisensor Gen5, so give it a try and let me know if you find any problems. We still have some testing to do before adding it to Works With SmartThings.

Hi Duncan,

Iā€™ve been using this device type for the past couple days and it I now have readings reporting back to the app. The motion sensor seems to latch on to the ā€œdetected motionā€ state for several minutes even if there is no motion in the room. Is there a delay programmed before it switches back to ā€œno motion detectedā€? Also, should the activity monitor be reporting everytime motion is detected or only when the sensor changes state? If I have a ā€œdetected motionā€ alert I am unable to trigger another alert unless it changes back to ā€œno motion detectedā€ first.

thanks for you help

Iā€™m having the same problem. If this is how the new version works Iā€™m going to ship it back and get another old one, this behavior is irritating.

edit: After more testing it appears that the motion sticks on for 4 minutes. I can repeat this behavior over and over. Trigger motion, ā€œhideā€ the sensor so it canā€™t pick anything up, and exactly 4 minutes later it will go back inactive.

So it looks like the 4 minute thing is the default latch time. Here are some docs on the config parameters for this device.

@duncan Iā€™m not sure if your team has been in contact with Aeon Labs on this but these values might be helpful.

After digging into the new device code it looks like itā€™s setting this value to 60s and everything lines up to the docs above. Wonder why this configuration value isnā€™t being set correctly?

I just received my Aeon Multisensor Gen5. It included with no problem using the default device type, and is sending data. I have it powered by USB, so it should be awake and listening at all times.
But I canā€™t figure out how to send the configuration command to update the default parameters.

Iā€™ve added a configure standard tile, but clicking it doesnā€™t appear to actually send a configure command.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to actually send that command?

After reading this threadā€¦whatā€™s the verdict?
Should I get the v.1 or Gen5 version of the Aeon Labs multisensor? The added antenna distance is not a good enough justification for my situation. What other HW improvements the Gen5 version has over v.1?? The price is the same and although I like to buy the latest technology, I rather connect without modifications. Which one should I get? (outdoor installation)

Thanks for your advice,
Y.

Iā€™d say at this point itā€™s a coin flip. The ST driver works, with the exception of the 4 minute latch noted above. ST hasnā€™t announced full support of this device yet, but Iā€™ve been in contact with support and they are aware of this issue and are actively working on official support (which I hope means setting the motion timeout value correctly).

If you donā€™t mind waiting for the 4 minute thing to be resolved, Iā€™d say go for it. It does get you into the new 500 series Z Wave radio which seems like it might be helpful moving forward.

Reply to my own post - I was able to set the configuration by using the Configure tile I added to the device type.

It seems that even in USB powered mode, you still have to set the sensor into a state where the LED is blinking before it will accept a configuration command.

After much trying (and not knowing what the final combination of press/hold the button on the sensor turned out to be), my sensor is updated. Itā€™s now reporting No Motion after 60 seconds.
I may update that again to 15 seconds, since Iā€™m not worried about power usage.

Can you share your code for the config tile?

I updated the Tiles section to this:

tiles {
	standardTile("motion", "device.motion", width: 2, height: 2) {
		state "active", label:'motion', icon:"st.motion.motion.active", backgroundColor:"#53a7c0"
		state "inactive", label:'no motion', icon:"st.motion.motion.inactive", backgroundColor:"#ffffff"
	}
	valueTile("temperature", "device.temperature", inactiveLabel: false) {
		state "temperature", label:'${currentValue}Ā°',
		backgroundColors:[
			[value: 32, color: "#153591"],
			[value: 44, color: "#1e9cbb"],
			[value: 59, color: "#90d2a7"],
			[value: 74, color: "#44b621"],
			[value: 84, color: "#f1d801"],
			[value: 92, color: "#d04e00"],
			[value: 98, color: "#bc2323"]
		]
	}
	valueTile("humidity", "device.humidity", inactiveLabel: false) {
		state "humidity", label:'${currentValue}% humidity', unit:""
	}
	valueTile("illuminance", "device.illuminance", inactiveLabel: false) {
		state "luminosity", label:'${currentValue} ${unit}', unit:"lux"
	}
	valueTile("battery", "device.battery", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
		state "battery", label:'${currentValue}% battery', unit:""
	}
	standardTile("configure", "device.configure", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
		state "configure", label:'', action:"configuration.configure", icon:"st.secondary.configure"
	}

main(["motion", "temperature", "humidity", "illuminance"])
	details(["motion", "temperature", "humidity", "illuminance", "battery", "configure"])
}
2 Likes

Did the 4 min issue get taken care of in the Smartthings release of this device?

Weā€™re still trying to figure it out. I havenā€™t been able to replicated the problem myself.

I got this problem too

I just connected two new sensor but one of them is stuck in active motion while the other is stuck in inactive motion. Is anyone else having this issue too?

Can I check my current firmware ? How ?

And after I connect with USB cable that support data transfer, how to update the firmware ?