Aeon Labs LED Bulb (ZW098-A52) Device Type

It works like a charm @duncan.

1 Like

I am wondering if there is a way to have the light “on” tile in the app show the current selected color, instead of the default green we tend to use. I know it can be down with the temperature tile, but that is coded for specific temperature values.
If this can be down, then I would suggest a shade of grey for the bulb being off?

1 Like

I don’t think that’s currently possible, or at least not easy. Color coding is only available for value tiles and then only 1 dimension. I’m sure it’s on the UI guys list but not necessarily a high priority.

couldn’t you just pull the current color from the bulb and set the background color of a value tile to that color?

1 Like

I just meant that it’s not possible with the current device handler API. Device type code doesn’t run on the client. It will have to be added as an option on multiAttributeTile and then implemented in all the client apps.

So I ordered four of these from ‘The Smartest House’ and before I continue, let me state that The Smartest House Team have been awesome and have already sorted me out with replacements…

So, they arrived, unfortunately all of them were broken in exactly the same way and the packaging from TSH was absolutely fine leading me to believe it’s a packing issue from Aeotec themselves. On further inspection it may be more a lack of glue/sealant.

The plus side is, here’s a partial “teardown”:

2 Likes

I’m new to ST and I haven’t read anything that says how well these bulbs work. Do they pair nicely and is controlling the color and brightness working?

I’d like to get these instead of having to add a Hue hub to get color changing bulbs.

I would have been able to tell you but as above, things went a little wrong on delivery, should be getting the replacements on Monday and I’ll let you know :smile:

I like the bulb, but it is a lot bigger than the hue bulbs. That is my only complaint. I have light fixtures that it hangs too far out of to look good.

There is an image in this thread that I posted with the size comparison.

Also, I think I had to modify the device type to have it work with SmartApps like Smart Lighting. If I remember correctly, the bulb does not turn on if you use setColor like the other color bulbs do (hue etc.). It works fine if the light is already on. I modified setColor to turn the bulb on in addition to changing its color to fix the behavior.

1 Like

Wellllll the replacement bulbs from The Smartest Home just came and had the same issue… again not their fault, they even opened then and checked them BEFORE they shipped them to me and only one of them survived.

It’s clearly a severe lack of glue being applied by Aeotec on the bulb and it’s just popping off, Existing owners should be concerned at how well theirs are sealed if they also have a lack of glue on them, I’d be concerned moisture could get inside and cause havoc with the electronics eventually.

With my Cree Connected bulbs (which aren’t even rated to be outside) I am less concerned because:

1. They only cost $15 a piece
  2. Are so open, they won’t trap moisture inside them.

I ended up ordering one from Amazon, and it is working well.
I did try pulling and twisting on the bulb and it didn’t move or break. So maybe I’m lucky.

I like how it remembers the color and brightness, even if turned off by a traditional light swtich.
I could not get automation working with the Smart Lights App to turn it on and set colors at different times.
I could get a scheduled routine working, but not changing colors at different times.

1 Like

On the one that was ‘okay’ I can rotate the plastic ‘bulb’ bit. According to The Smartest House this was a problem with an earlier batch they got from Aeotec but insist the latest deliver is from the later batches that don’t have this issue.

I paired the one ‘okay’ bulb easily though and it’s not bad. Not sure about the colour output yet though, seems a little… I don’t know, can’t put my finger on it.

With the default device type I’m not sure how to select warm white. I like how it dims on and off but I wish when you changed colours it would transition just as smoothly.

Having issues with the Aeon Led Bulb device type. The default device type is RGBW Led, and actually works. But when I change to AEON Led Bulb device type, the light is irresponsive (nothing works)

Should be a thing of secure inclusion??

Edit: Actually in the live log you can see that the changes made in the iOS app are well documented (ie, red, green, dimmer), but the light is irresponsive…

Thanks

@Squares The Aeon Led Bulb device type was written for the bulb when a secure inclusion is performed. Exclude the device from your network and include it as follows:

Enabling Security Encryption.

1. Set your Z-Wave hub into pairing mode.
  2. Toggle off the wall switch controlling your LED Bulb to turn it off (keep it in the “OFF” state for 2 seconds) and then quickly toggle on the wall switch on, off, on, off, on. The blue LED will blink to indicate the Bulb is entering into secure pairing mode.
  3. If LED Bulb has been successfully added to your Z-Wave network, its RGB LED will be solid when you turn LED Bulb on.

Or you can continue to use the other device type.

1 Like

Interesting, didn’t know that! Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks.

The blue led was the step I was missing.

In your experience any difference between both device types?

Glad you got it working, honestly I don’t think there is a difference between the two other than the security. Maybe someone else knows though. Someone should really just modify the Aeon bulb device type to work with both. I might do that at some point if I get time.

That would be awesome! I am planning on getting some of these in the near future, it would be nice if 1 device type would work either way -

Huh. Did that (several times) and it doesn’t respond at all when using the Aeon LED Bulb device type. RGBW works fine. shrug

New user - just want to add - banging my head against the wall, learned a lot in 2 days.

Tried both , went back to RGBW. Anyone having luck? I can set color from the dashboard, but it fails to even come on if I use a app that sets color.

1 Like