Aeon Labs Energy Meter clamps

You did create this as a new device type handler using the from code tab right?

Yes.
When I click ā€œCreateā€, it puts that error in a reddish banner near top of page.

UPDATE:
Actuallyā€¦when I did it the first time, it was with a minor (I thought) modification.
When I use device handlers from others, in order to make sure I remember (or rather, because I know I wonā€™t) who it came from and when I added it to my SmartThings setup, I always modify the name field within the quotes (thinking that having my notes within the quotes takes care of it. However, I think I just learned something about groovyā€¦probably canā€™t use symbols like ( or ) in that location.

I modified it to use something else, and then it seemed to take it just fine.
So, now back to my regularly scheduled bought of stupidā€¦you knowā€¦the one where I go try this device handler and see what comes of itā€¦

1 Like

@Mike_Maxwell

Sorry, butā€¦how do I interact with it from Rule Machine?
Do I need to create custom commands, and if so, is there any chance you could give me a hand with that part?
I have created custom commands in RM for a couple of other things.

p.s. Geezā€¦after renaming all of the washer dryer Washer Dryer to mico stove Micro Stove, it saved just fine. So, I thought it was OK, but when I went into the app, nothing worked.
So, I renamed it all back to your originals, and it works fine again now. Man, I gotta find some time to actually learn groovy. lol

So this device type in rm (or any smart app) will be a button controller, button 1 is the washer, button 2 is the dryer. Pushed will be the event generaged
No custom commands are requiredā€¦

1 Like

@Mike_Maxwell
Oh, sweet! I just tested it and I see how it works now. Thanks for that. :slight_smile:

Now, a question about renaming things in the codeā€¦
Itā€™s odd (I assume itā€™s not really odd, and itā€™s just my ignorance), but I canā€™t seem to figure out how to put the text I want to have in there for the names of the monitored devices.

Yours are washer and dryer / Washer and Dryer
I want to name them micro and stove / Micro and Stove
(i.e. lowercase where yours are lower case and upper where yours are upper)

When I do this, save and publish, shortly later, the text changes in the app, but it stops working, and I start getting errors in Live Logging in the IDE.

I even backed it all out, re-renamed it all back to your originals and everything works fine (so I know itā€™s not just a matter of me having goofed with something else while I was in thereā€¦all Iā€™m doing is editing the text in notepad on my Windows comp and using the find/replace feature, being sure to pay attention to case by using the case sensitivity checkbox).

Then, I tried using words with exactly the same number of characters as washer and dryer, but that didnā€™t work either.

If I didnā€™t know better, Iā€™d suspect this actual physical device actually has washer and dryer hardcoded, or they are somewhere within the groovy world or the SmartThings world or something like that.

I suspect this is just a matter of learning groovy, but just in case youā€™re willing to set me straight on this, how do I go about changing the text like that and have it work?

A couple more questions (show me to your donate link any time now)ā€¦

Why does it seem to take such a long time for it to report back when changes happen?
I just tested it, and it took exactly 60 seconds. It seems like some other times, it took longer than that.

Similarly, why does it take so long for data in the device within the SmartThings SmartApp to update, and is there anything that can be done to make it update sooner?

In the preferences section, just change the text in the title section for the inputs.
For the tiles, only change the label text.
Thatā€™s the simplest way to get what you want. Getting all the internal variable names to match is more work, and that would be your groovy learning!
Line 154 is the reporting interval, which I set to 60, so you can change that if you like, 60 seconds was good enough for me.

1 Like

Bingo! This is exactly what I needed.
Thanks!

Itā€™s working now with renamed to micro and stove. I even figured out how to change the icon on the big, running/nothing running tileā€¦chose the pig in chef hat. :slight_smile:

I also have a testing mechanism set up with a couple different lights so I know itā€™s actually working.
Iā€™ve only been testing all of this with clamp #1. So, all thatā€™s left is to test the second clamp. I assume it will perform the same.

EDIT: Just tested and confirmed both clamps work the same. :slight_smile:

Now I just gotta figure out how to get to the power cables for the microwave and conventional. If wiring is same or similar to the other appliances, I assume this is something I will be able to do. I just need the time to tear into them, etcā€¦

Could someone please direct me to the latest Device Type for HEM V1 for IOS as the one I am using does not show Max and Min. Thanks. The native one is so ugly and does not show cost.

Iā€™m using this one. Device handlers arenā€™t platform specific either, IOS and Android will be the same.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jscgs350/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/hemv1.src/hemv1.groovy

LOL, @joelw135 and I have been communicating on at least 2 other discussions, and he is using that device handler. I did explain that the latest release of the app (v2.1.0) broke the feature that show those lines of text for the HEM, and any device using that, as in the Iris Smart Plug, and many other devices.

@michaelahess,

This is the latest:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor.src/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor.groovy

Thanks for that, I am so pissed that everything regarding power I am having problems with. My IRIS Power Plug doesnā€™t show watts, unless I go to Recently. The device type for HEM V1 I am trying one now to see if it updates properly. I still donā€™t see to much on PlotWatt. Just frustrated.

Yeah it took me a while to get everything working right, just trial and error with lots of different device handlers. I just use the smartpower outlet, built in, for my Iris and ST smart plug.

That too has issues displaying the value in the lower left. Itā€™s super tiny. Are you not using v2.1.0 of the app? I reverted back to v2.0.7.

Iā€™m using the latest version. I donā€™t care about the display in the ST app, all my energy and power logging goes to google sheets, plotwatt, and thingspeak so I can see the pretty graphs.

Ok, that makes sense. I was using Grovestream, but I keep hitting the free limit now. Iā€™m going to try google sheets I think.

Yes I am using 2.1.0 of the app I donā€™t have a backup of the old version at least one I could find.

I am using Smart Power Outlet but doesnā€™t show even tiny in corner.

@joelw135,

Try this out:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor.src/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor.groovy

I added a tile to display what ST hosed up:

1 Like

Thank You this one works great at least in shows max. But since I installed it yesterday Min says null I assume that will populate in a few days. Any ideas on the Smart Power Outlet as no watts show only in Recently?

That should have a value. Tap on Reset Watts, and you may need to tap Refresh.