Aeon Labs Energy Meter clamps

Hello, maybe covered somewhere else but i found way (at least on my ios device) to get rid of the unknown or question mark. Basically set to default driver, goto into details of the device on the smartphone app, then via the ide change the driver to the new one, save, publish, then in the smarthings app on the same details page, pull down for refresh which should give you all the new tiles, then select the tile you want displayed on the main screen.

The unknown or question mark seems to be caused by the app remembering a tile that isn’t available after changing the device type.

Hope that helps.

I wish Xcel Energy here in CO offered this product.

Anyone know how to put the v1 device back into discovery mode so I can join it to my new V2 hub? Haven’t been able to get that rolling yet.

@3one5, there’s a button on the back once you remove the mounting plate. Exclude first, and reinclude. I was having some fun working on a device type for mine: (I’ll add the tiles for energy a little later)

2 Likes

Thank you! Be sure to post the code when you’re done!

Code:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor.src/my-aeon-home-energy-monitor.groovy

7 Likes

looking very nice! will it work with the v2?

I switched to this device type a couple of days ago, and have fallen in love with my HEMv1 all over again.

Thank you for your work on it!

1 Like

@darkoperator, technically kind of… There are only a few places where the code for new tile format could easily be copied over to the device type of the HEMv2. What device type are you using - a community version or ST’s? Let me know cause the changes are pretty easy to make, and I can take a shot at it.

I’m using a community one, for some reason having problems after the latest upgrade where the hub stops receiving data until I reset the device. been using this one https://github.com/SANdood/Aeon-HEM-v2/blob/master/Aeon%20HEMv2.groovy

1 Like

So, a quick question to everyone who is using this device - how are you using it? Although I understand why someone might have it, what is the benefit of integrating it into ST? Maybe I missed some ideas earlier in the thread.

would like to know the same.
I was going to use it as a laundry monitor; haven’t figured it out. I read that wash/dryer users 120v/240v and the single outlet monitor only is rated for 120v. so you can only monitor one of the two. Thought the HEM would be better.

HEM it is meant to monitor your entire home not a specific device. I use it to monitor use and estimate what my power bill will be. Live in PR so power is super expensive here.

As @darkoperator said, it is meant for monitoring overall power usage at the home.

I connected it to our panel and added it to SmartThings, and then over the last several weeks I have used it to determine what is using the most power in the house by gradually shutting things off or unplugging them.

Doing this has shown me why my power bill is as high as it is each month, and I’ve used that information to help me reduce overall power use at home by shutting things off.

Normally, I leave multiple computers running at home, and connect to them during the day for testing connections to work websites when making changes in the office. But I found that all of my systems together were using 1kW or more together.
Now I shut them all down, and use a Raspberry Pi with a webserver on it that sends Wake on LAN packets to any PC I need.
Ten seconds later, that PC is awake and I can test what I need to, then the system goes back to sleep and my power usage drops.

My first power bill after changing these settings and making some other tweaks dropped by 45%.

Also, I use a website called PlotWatt for long term graphing of my power in the home.

The image below is the trend in my home from 12AM on August 1st through the 17th of August.
I was running consistently higher, with an average of 3.5kw in use at all times in the home.
We discovered the fridge was one of the main culprits using this meter and graph, and I pulled the fridge to discover the coils needed cleaning.
Once I cleaned them, power usage on the fridge dropped by almost 70%, it was running that poorly.

1 Like

How do you connect to Plotwatt? It looks commercial, can’t tell what connections they have on the website.

Yes, the long term logging seemed to make sense…which is why I was confused about adding it into ST since that is not available. Basically, I look at this like the way I look at Nest. I get all my data from Nest. At the moment, I do have them integrated so they can change from away to home, but that is it.

I just didn’t see any benefit to having the energy monitors in ST and was looking for some use case examples.

Check this out. :slight_smile: Power Meter Logging SmartApps (PlotWatt, ThingSpeak, SmartEnergyGroups)

@brianlees, the long term logging is definitely beneficial in many ways.
I love seeing data like this in an easy to use and understand format. It makes it easier for me to monitor various home functions.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a means of integrating the Nest Protects in a useful manner, every time I try, it causes my ST app to crash once I add the first Nest Protect. I don’t use the Nest thermostats, as we only have boiler baseboard heat and no AC in the home. So, like you, I get all of my Nest data direct from the Nest app.

The HEM unit does definitely have a use within the ST universe, just not as active a use as I’d eventually like to see.
With some plug in energy monitoring appliance modules you can trigger an alert when power usage rises on that module, or when it drops in the event of say, the washing machine finishing it’s cycle.

I haven’t found a good use case for the HEM units to provide that level of alerting, as it is monitoring the entire home instead of an individual appliance or circuit.

Down the road, I’d like to add one of the multi-circuit Z-Wave monitors that checks each individual circuit and calculates usage on a per circuit level.

I use the power meter to tell me if I left a light on or a PC. If the minimum power exceeds 365W then I know to look around to turn it off.

Mainly for monitoring power usage over time as I swap out to LED’s and automate lighting, and a little fun factor. AND, to catch the builder next to my house stealing my power instead of using his own drop while we’re away from the house.

I second plotwatt. In addition to using the Hemv1 with SmartThings to better estimate overall power usage & cost for the month, I also log the data automatically (every 20 seconds) at PlotWatt. After a few weeks of usage, Plotwatt was able to break out the following “appliances” from my monthly total power draw:
–Heating
–Always on
–Lights
–Dryers
–Other

As it progresses, it’s supposed to learn additional appliances. I guess time will tell, but so far it has been pretty accurate.

Thanks-
Derek