ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

What does this code allow you to do?

The price on this has been dropped to $199. Same price as ring but better equipment. Hopefully it’s to compete with Ring and not that their discontinuing this.

Considering returning my ADT Hub.

I had the V2 hub, had it set up with about 20 sensors total, everything working great. Using the Smart Home Monitor as kind of a psudo alarm system. Bought a siren. Everything is looking good.

Then I decide, it would be cool to have a screen where I could arm or disarm if I want to, or if for some reason my presence sensor fails to detect my phone, so I can just walk in the door and disarm it.

That leads me to buying the ADT + ST bundle kit. But so far, I dont like it.

First of all, I have this new screen called “home security” but it doesnt show me if the system is active or the status or anything like Home Solutions does.

I cant use presence to arm the system without using some web core thing I havent even begun to research yet.

I now have some ADT option pestering me about signing up for their subscription which I dont want.

Worse, the fancy sensors that are supposively so much better than the standard ones wont even pair right. They show up fine in the “my things” area, but dont show up in the home security section. It just says “You have no monitorable devices”.

I am sitting here thinking, I spent $200 bucks for what is essentially a more complicated, annoying, and what feels to me to be a worse alarm system than the basic “Smart Home Monitor” that comes with smart things.

Is it less secure? Sure, but honestly I dont care if its double encrypted or all that. I just want a siren to go off if someone breaks out my window or comes in through the door. My only real concern at this point is if smartthings goes down, which I hear it does from time to time, if this siren goes off thats going to be annoying. But hey I guess I can just unplug it or turn off the siren.

I cant believe I reprogrammed all my devices to this hub and now I am actually considering going back to my V2 hub and doing it all again…

Anyone know if samsung plans to discontinue the Smart Home Monitor? I hope not because at this point I think that is all the “alarm system” I need.

Check out ADT Tools. It will add many smartthings integration features to the ADT Smartthings Panel that are not present by default.

The home security dashboard should be showing you the ADT Alarm Panel state. That would allow you to arm and disarm from you phone easily.

The fact items are showing as not monitored is because you didn’t go through the setup completely. You need to do a walk through test to make sure they are all responding properly with the panel. It is the last step in setup of the door window sensor

1 Like

Are you saying that the “Home Security” panel on the Dashboard of the “old” SmartThings app is empty and only shows the perpetual spinner? This is a known issue I reported to ST back in April and they confirmed it. Until they can get their act together, you can (and should) do two things:

1. Open a support ticket about the issue and keep requesting updates.
  2. Force-quit and re-open the application if it doesn’t show the status. This (100% reproducible for me) restores the status on the Dashboard.

I cant use presence to arm the system without using some web core thing I havent even begun to research yet.

I’m using webCoRE for this and would be happy to share…

1 Like

Thinking about getting the package since it is supposed to be $99 from Samsung next week.

Most of the reviews, however, seem to imply that it will not work with existing (non ADT labeled) ST devices and doesn’t show in the ST app. Is this (still?) the case?

Wondering how well it would integrate in with my existing devices/ setup…

TIA

Your questions are answered in this thread. Tl;dr:

1. normal zwave and zigbee sensors can’t be used for alarm monitoring (intrusion, smoke and leak)
  2. it works in both SmartThings apps
2 Likes

Where did you happen to see it’s going to be $99? I looked the Samsung previews but didn’t see this Adt/SmartThings Hub. I just bought it for $199 and would love to get price matched.

See below - actually starts on 11/18.

https://blackfriday.com/ads/black-friday/samsung/id/00NJ4VM3g6p4z2aXEy5ycMI/7

1 Like

Not sure which reviews you were looking at, but the answers are both in this thread above and also in the forum FAQ:

Originally it only worked with the classic app, but I understand that it now worked with both apps. :sunglasses:

ADT has updated their FAQ for this system on their own site:

https://www.adt.com/help/faq/smartthings

I’ve been lurking this thread ever since the beginning. Finally bit the bullet and got the ADT starter kit because I just couldn’t pass it up at the $100 price around black Friday. Door and window sensors were also marked down to $10 each, so got 5 of them as well. Going to set the system up over the holidays. No unmonitored z-wave items yet, missed the sale on switches. Hoping everything goes smoothly!

I know it’s not z-wave, but can anyone comment on using Nest Hello with this? Possible or no? It doesn’t appear in the works with smartthings list last I checked so I’m guessing not.

I think you should go look at the nest manager threads and such for answers. As long as that device integrates with Smartthings, you would be able to use it in that same manor with the ADT Smartthings panel.

This is really just a question of if that device integrates at all.

I am curious if ADT smart things will work with the new alexa guard that will be released. I read ADT pulse does so I am hoping so.

It’s actually ADT’s regular security systems that work with it, not the pulse part specifically. Abode, Ring, and Scout do as well.

It’s essentially an Alexa API For a security panel device class. I think it’s likely that smartthings will add it eventually for the ADT model line, I just don’t know when or if it will come from the ADT development team or the smartthings side. That could make a difference as it’s possible that the official feature would work only with the ADT model. But we’ll see. :sunglasses:

Abode has A good description of how their system is using the Alexa guard option. It’s actually pretty cool. :tada:

@arnb @MichaelS @tgauchat @Mavrrick58

2 Likes

I’ve got the ADT startup kit on the way to replace my current 2Gig GC3, mainly so I can integrate the alarm into my routines through webcore.

This may sound like a crazy question, but is there a way to use the ADT sensors only for home automation rules or will they trigger the alarm no matter what?

Right now I can get the ADT sensors for about half the cost of regular zwave door/window sensors, and I want to put some on my windows so if I open them they’ll shut off the AC. But I don’t want the alarm going off if I leave one of the windows open and head out.

First if a sensor is used is based on the setup of the sensor. There are three options in the ADT Dashbord to set the sensor up for the way it is used: Entey/Exit, Perimeter, and No Response. The Entry/Exit option will tell ADT to apply entry exit delays. This is normally used for doors you come and go from. The perimeter option is for windows and some doors and will trigger the alarm immediately if they open. The No Response option is effectively for none security items like a liquor cabinet.

Second. if you leave the window open and arm the alarm it will put that sensor in bypass. That simply means it is turned off at that time to not trigger alarms.

I would suggest you set them all as they should be and let the alarm bypass sensors when you need them to not trigger for your example. This is pretty seamless and will provide you the best security.

1 Like

So that sounds exactly what I’m looking to do. If I set all the window sensors as perimeter they will trigger the alarm if opened by I should be still able to use them in automaton routines. Thanks for the help!

Okay, since this seems to be the place where all the ADT hub people hang out, I was told I might want to ask my questions here. A few days ago after a hub reboot all but a couple of my devices show as “Disconnected” in the new SmartThings app. The devices display properly and work fine in the Classic app and the IDE. They only show disconnected in the new app but they still respond to commands. I’ve rebooted the hub several times and forced closed the app but that didn’t fix the issue. The problem I have is that I cannot add any new automations in new app because the devices cannot be selected when they are “Disconnected.” What the heck can I do to get new automations in place since routines in the Classic app won’t run on the ADT hub? Is there another way for me to get them in while I wait for tech support to contact me (if they ever do)?

I’m not an ADT Hub expert, but where did you get the impression that Classic App Routines are not compatible with the ADT Hub?

• Routines run in the SmartThings Cloud … they are not dependent on the Hub model.
  • The new SmartThings App does not have “Routines” … they have been replaced with “Automations”
  • Both Apps have “Scenes” which are almost compatible with each other (Scenes created in New App are not editable in Classic App).