ADT Integration with Professional Monitoring

Let me start with some history, my previous house had a GE NetworX home alarm with everything hardwired (windows, doors, keypads, etc.). Using a VeraLite, an automation interface module, and some programming - I was able to have a home security/automation that I could control with my phone, setup automation senarios, and get all the necessary text/email notifications. Also, I was able to add some Foscam cameras, radio thermostats, & z-wave stuff and had a centralized phone app to control everything in 1 place. On top of that, I added a 4G Uplink Cellular Backup and a AlarmRelay subscription ($9/month) and I had a full fledged professionally monitored alarm. However, I moved out of that house yesterday…

Today, I am moving into a house with a pre-existing ADT Pulse alarm (some stuff is hardwired and some stuff maybe wireless??). I am honestly clueless about it, but the control box with all the wires going into it has a big ADT sticker and there is another box that says “Pulse”.

So, somehow I stumbled here reading about ADT and ST hub intergration (using an audrino?). Some of the threads were over a year old and I know has fast things can change. Can someone let me know if this is still possible and kindly provide the links/info. Also, if necessary can I remove the Pulse (so no competing z-wave), if that is even possible.

I only really want to do this of I can still get the system professionally monitored (this is a deal breaker). So if anyone has this current setup with both ADT & ST with it professionally monitored (other than ADT), please comment.

The AlarmDecoder Network Appliance from alarmdecoder.com will integrate with ST and allow you to self-monitor as well as use a monitoring company.

I believe Pulse is just an addon to the panel itself, so you would have to verify exactly which security panel you have to verify compatibility.

If it’s not compatible, a cheap Vista 20p panel can easily be put in place.

If using an ademco panel but don’t want an internet connected keypad

Thanks for the replies/info!

If I have to change out the panel, then that is what I will do. I guess I need to go up there and see what kind of panel it is (all I saw was a big ADT sticker on the outside). If I don’t have access to the panel, then I might have to get my cutoff-wheel because I do not remember seeing a key.

How will I know if the keypads (hardwired) and other wireless stuff will work? (Assuming all the other hardwired things will work). There are 7 exterior doors on this house, and they all have what “looks” like a wireless sensor on them so I really hate to have to buy 7 new sensors. Thanks in advance!

Lucky for you, sensors are compatible between panels as long as the panel is the same manufacturer (in this case likely Ademco/Honeywell). If you replace the panel, just make sure you have a Radio whether it be a standalone board or a built in radio into a Keypad (RF Model) to keep using the sensors.

The inside sticker on the panel says “Safewatch Pro 3000EN”. So will that work? Looks like there is a radio in here too (assuming since I see antennas). See pic.

Also, turns out all the door and windows are hardwired. I think only the glass break sensors are wireless.

I’m 95% sure that the Safwatch Pro 3000 is just a rebranded Vista 20p so yes it should work. :slight_smile:

Yep, that’ll work just fine - you’ll just have to enable a new keypad address on the panel and assign this new address to the AlarmDecoder.

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to get a grasp on everything here.

So the first thing I need to do is get a Alarm Decoder that hooks up directly to the panel as a “keypad”, then I am assuming that gets connected somehow to the SmartThings hub? I have yet to purchase a SmartThings hub, so I probably need to do that too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction from here?

Both the AlarmDecoder Network Appliance and the SmartThings hub connect to your local network, and they communicate via network.

So no physical connection between the 2 devices then. That makes things a little easier. My Vera was connected via a serial cable directly to the automation module on the panel (so this is a little different).

Anyway, I have 2 more questions… #1. Can/Should I remove the “ADT Pulse” box? It looks like it is wired into the panel as a “keypad” as well. #2. Where do I go from here? Is there some documentation or a nice write-up that tells me how to get the STH and the Alarm Decoder working together?

Thanks in Advance!

You can leave the pulse there if you want, if you’re using the service why not … the device comes with instructions on how to hook to your panel, and here https://github.com/nutechsoftware/alarmdecoder-smartthings is the smart things integration.

Thanks Kevin! You are awesome!

I am not using anything right now, the ADT stuff was in the house when I moved in. The whole reason I am doing this is so that I will not have to use ADT. I am looking for a cheaper option than $50-60 a month just for monitoring…

I suggest something like NextAlarm, or perhaps even using the AlarmDecoder to self-monitor.