Adding Nest Thermostat

But there are outages…

May 2019: 12 outages (so far)
April 2019: 15 outages
March 2019: 11 outages
February 2019: 17 outages
January 2019: 14 outages

Hi.,

Those temporary outages don’t affect any schedules set at the thermostat.

Also, for automation purposes, with My Ecobee device, any failed commands can be "replayed’ in the next hour window after a ST or ecobee outage.

No other ecobee implementation is as reliable…

Refer to this thread for more details,

P.S. I know the Nest & ecobee APIs by heart, and I can tell you that the ecobee APIs are far superior and can achieve way more use cases (as indicated at the top of my thread).

And, ecobee is working on a new ecobee Cam and smoke alarm devices (to be released soon)…

Nest APIs are gone for good, and the new Google platform doesn’t seem for the moment to allow APIs access;for automation users, the ecobee choice is clear now.

Regards.

BTW, the Nest servers have had a lot of issues in the past months too, but they don’t update their status page accordingly…I know first hand about it, and you know it as well.

Ecobee is a bit more transparent, even if it hurts their image…

Thank you for all the info. I think im going to have to sit tight for now with the nest and see what happens. Not long had it and don’t want to have to pay out again… the wife wouldn’t be pleased! :joy:

Same for Nest. Outages in the cloud do not affect local operation/schedules.

With Nest moving away from integrations, is this also the end of Nest My Next Manager?

I’m afraid so…

Verysorry to hear that, what a disappointment!

1 Like

Which link do I click on for nest thermostats and cameras?

You don’t click on any link. It is not currently possible to connect Nest products to SmartThings, ever since Google discontinued the Works With Nest program a few weeks ago.

so basically if you are on the old nest plan you can continue using NST manager, etc until they shut down Works with Nest completely, correct? Have they given a date on that?

I was just looking into converting my account to a google account so i can take advantage of the new plan as i have multiple cameras and it will save me a lot of money. then i did a little research b efore doing it luckily and found out it breaks work with nest and that is how i ended up here to figure out if it would affect smartthings integration.

i am really upset since i just bought a nest thermostat i was going to replace my ecobee with just so i could integrate with the smoke detectors and the new sensors for better prescence and away detection, etc. so basically no point of installing that now!

Correct. No date given, they just said that they’ll keep existing connections working until they’ve added some of the old Works with Nest functionality into the Works with GA API.

Thanks for that clarification. So I am stuck paying per camera I guess for now if I want to keep smartthigns working. I guess I will have to weigh it out.

If they are adding old functionality to the new API it sounds like there is a chance that when Works with nest is shut down (breaking the existing smart apps) that the smart apps may have the new api actually available to them to use at that time right?

Why do you need Nest with SmartThings?

One less app to contend with, can customize more with ST. Obvious answers.

Perhaps obvious to you but I have a Nest thermostat, ST, and Alexa and have not once needed my Nest integrated with ST. If I need to adjust the temp I ask Alexa to do it or I go to the Nest app.

I was looking for a more specific answer with a specific integration. Not a snarky one with “obvious” reasons.

There might be a workaround to the problem but the forum can’t help you unless more specific info is provided.

Besides, you’re not even the OP

One example … I have a ST webCoRE piston that detects a doorbell press, sends me a text message and uses a Nest camera to take a snapshot of the front porch. I can’t do that with the native Nest app.

EDIT: I’m an idiot. This thread is about thermostats. My bad.

Another example, this time for a thermostat - by integrating with ST I am able to display and control my Nest thermostats via ActionTiles.

1 Like

I use ST to set my Nest Thermostat to Away (eco mode) since I never had much luck using Nest presence. Using Nest, it Generally would not change to away for up to an hour after I departed.

2 Likes

Nest has a motion sensor so can be used to trigger events if integrated as a SmartThings device. Fingers crossed the ‘Works WIth GA’ programme will deliver a solution…at some point !

1 Like