Adding a new User in app v2

Yes, there are people on iOS for whom presence is working. Myself being one of them.

3 Likes

Yes I use the goodbye feature all the time. I just walk out of my home and as soon as ST notices my phone is out of range it locks up my home.

It’s not immediate and may take some time to trigger presence sensing. It’s not completely reliable due to limitations of iOS and Android. If you’re looking for something that will trigger as soon as you drive into your driveway it will work but can be delayed.

I find its best for detecting when you’ve left.

1 Like

Yep me too, I have Goodbye trigger once both mine (Android) and my GF’s (iOS) phones (both logged into the same user currently), works extremely well and have trimmed the delayed change down to about 3 minutes so far with no false ‘leaving’ triggering goodbyes yet.

I then have it set to do an “I’m back” if either of our phones return. The ONLY false changes I had were when I also logged in a couple of tablets using the same user again but are always left at home, since I logged out of those tablets I’ve not had any false changes in status and it works very well.

regarding iOS presnence, since the last few app updates, mine has been flawless. This includes my wife’s phone and Life360 integration as a workaround while we wait for add user to return. It picks us both up within a few hundred feet of the hub and flips modes right away. We do end up doing this via vehicle, is it possible that you may need to increase the range circle in the app? I’ve had to tune that a few times to find the sweet-spot based on how fast i drive and approach my home. That’s helped a ton!

Good luck

iOS mobile presence for me and wife has been flawless and triggers at the same spot while leaving or arriving every time.

Just a note that while detection of the arrival sensor leaving, the " goodbye trigger," is working for many people, the “goodbye routine” is broken for many people regardless of OS.

This is a known problem that’s SmartThings is working on. Much discussion in the forums.

So I see a lot of confusion about this because people are actually talking about two different things. :confounded:

Confirmed by staff in the following thread:

When you say “goodbye trigger” how are you defining that? When I leave my home, ST shows that I am away. Conversely when I return, it shows I am home.

Whats not working is the corresponding command to that action, which is to arm or disarm the Smart Home Montior.

We may be saying the same thing, but wanted to clarify.

Right, there’s no absolute definition for any of this except the “goodbye routine” which is a routine named goodbye that comes with the SmartThings mobile app.

The actual trigger inmost smartapps is “when everyone leaves” which is a condition where there is a new condition none of the defined present sensors are marked as present for the account. (That is, a change to this condition)

The known bug is that you can check the account and see that there are no known presence sensors marked as present, but the goodbye routine doesn’t fire.

So people are having to open the app and tap the tile for the goodbye routine to manually to run it.

For those people, presence works, but the goodbye routine does not.

But presence itself is one of those things that works well for some people, not at all for other people, and irregularly for still others. Regardless of operating system.

my goodbye routine is working with presence sensors … guess I am just lucky. also I added a zigbee switch in the garage as a booster and now my return runs much better. took a while but now within 30 secs of pulling up and sometimes quicker it know I am home.

Jibberjabber is spot on…have a v1 that I purchased 5 months ago. ST totally dropped the ball on the “adding users” being disabled and continue to ignore this issue…no updates or light at the end of the tunnel except when you contact ST support any you get the canned answers, ‘we are working really hard on this issue’, ‘can we send you out a motion sensor for your troubles’, or the simple ‘we hope to have this resolved very soon’. What a pile of crap. May look at Vera or Domoticz\Synology as another option because Jibberjabber spot on about ST’s inability to fix what once worked. Alex Hawkinson and Jeff Hagins should not be talking about ST’s video stream service for a fee or v3 hub, but instead talk about how ST plans on fixing their platform. Enough excuses about, oh as a company, we should not rolled EU, new hub v2, new updates,yada,yada,yada all within a short time frame…how about ‘don’t over promise and under deliver’.

1 Like

Hell I would take the motion sensors if offered!!! No ones offered me a thing. The whole reason I bought smart things was to have my wife and child use there phones to automate things when they needed to or to be able to let the contractors in wo giving them a door and garage code. Not happy about this.

You appear to have read Jibberjabber post but not the rest of the thread, that’s probably why you’ve got the idea that they are ‘ignoring the issue’ whereas the exact opposite is true. This is a P1 issue for ST and they are working hard on it.

In fact yesterday’s platform update was one half of the changes required to get us back to multiple users again, an app update next is necessary which will hopefully be soon.

2 Likes

No true. This is not working yet.

Umm… what? I’m not sure what you’re reading but at no point did I say it was working yet…

1 Like

Can you use SmartTiles or just log in with your account? If you have a pretty basic setup, you should be able to. There are use-cases where this doesn’t work, but if you just want them to be able to manually trigger things it sounds like that could be a possibility for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the response to be honest I would like full function. That way when my son leaves for school everything locks and close via the last presence leaving the house as I leave well before everyone else. Instead of me having to check j would prefer it to be done :wink:

Don’t blame ya. I’m a one-person household so I don’t have a lot of experience with multiple devices. I do have a separate presence sensor for my luggage though. Can you add the other devices as presence sensors even though they are under your account? So you could be under one account with “Jay’s Phone”, “Jay’s Wife’s Phone”, and “Jay’s Son’s Phone” similar to how I have my phone and my luggage.

2 Likes

@jkicks15 this is very very close to be rectified . . . It was mentioned in tonights developer call and is a Priority 1 issue as @Benji pointed out . . . The recent platform update included the required elements to make this possible and an upcoming app update is going to be required to then make use of these new elements - we are closer than ever :slight_smile: stay posative i get the impression we are 95% there now

5 Likes

So, outside looking in…a sev 1 takes 30+ days? This may be going back to amazon…

@goldbond1 that is a very very narrow minded comment to make . . .

Its is torally unrealistic to treat every case the same when it comes to bug fixing (regardless of the priority) everything is case dependant . . .

You have to remember that SmartThings is still a small conpany compared to others like Apple / Actual Samsung / Etc Etc . . . even though they are growing day by day since the samsung acquisition its unrealistic to have apple style expectations with them just yet.

In this case id say in the midst of launching new hardware / new backend stuff / new software (apps) and new features that everything been handled fairly quick . . .

Lets be more realistic aye :wink: it doesn’t hurt to be human once in a while they arnt superheroes, they are still building and developong yes, but they also have the best system around, so support them as aa a pose to critiquing there every move . . . Its way more productive!

2 Likes