Add family members ST app

No, if you invite her to join and she creates her own ST account then that shouldn’t be happening. If that’s what you’ve done and it’s still asking her to enter that code, then open a ticket with support directly.

3 Likes

Thanks for the mention of ActionTiles, Mark!

Indeed: Granular sharing of dashboard Panels to specific family members (etc.) is a key feature of our browser-based customizable GUI for SmartThings; along with optional PIN Protected Tiles for an extra layer of security. Questions welcome!

2 Likes

I’m getting the same thing. I added a user from the app: manage users->add user. User creates an account, logs in from the app, and the app asks for the welcome code to setup a new hub. Not sure how to get around this. I tried removing the user to try again. There’s a status bar but nothing happens so I can’t delete the user either.

No code required. Just touch Menu (3 lines upper left corner) then down arrow and your location.
Just be aware this user now has the same privileges as you.

I don’t have the menu icon in my iOS app. It’s just the welcome screen and x to log out.

1 Like

Apparently, when I invited the user to control the hub, they were prompted to create a SmartThings account, but they had a Samsung account already which they were supposed to use by going to New SmartThings user and log in using their Samsung account. Now they are able to see the hub instead of the Welcome screen.

Hi there - has anyone solved this? I’ve added the second user in my ST account, they got the invite, but the ST app is asking for the code for the hub - and the original code is incorrect (is it one use only perhaps). In any case, how do I add ST on to a second phone and bypass the question about the code

Does the post directly above yours apply to your situation?

Hi there - this was solved by deleting the user and re-adding on my ST app,
and then on the second phone by clicking Existing User

Cheers

Ivan

Went through the agony of this myself for multiple users. First make sure the other phone is logged in with the same email that was used to invite them in a newly installed ST app. Don’t try to install another hub or anthing else.

Chose the three bar icon in the upper left. Then note the home location at the top of the drop-down menu. Then Within that click the small drop-down arrow and then click the shared location at the bottom of the list.

You will now have access to all of the shared devices, etc. While on the secondary ST app, click to add a device and then a presence sensor for this mobile phone.

Make sure you have shared location services with ST app and disabled battery saving so it will run in the background. Presence for this phone is then based on it’s location service reporting in relation to the definition of the shared location in the master ST app.

2 Likes

(Noticed there are some solutions posted above, none worked for me so I’ve just been going around copy and pasting my fix I wrote out into all the threads I read while searching for the answer)

Short answer on the fix: Even though your phone’s name is already in there since you set it up, go into —marketplace>sensors>presence sensors>mobile phone>+connect now— on your phone. Add it and boom, both phones…

New to ST and just ran into the same issue. Super frustrating. I am the tech lover of the household and the wife tolerates tech when it works and she doesn’t have to figure anything out on her own. Love the idea of setting up my own security/house monitoring system. All of which is contingent upon the the system recognizing my wife’s phone so she doesn’t have to stress too much about how to manage the system.

The method, for those of you who want to re-read everything you’ve attempted up until this point:
Set everything up on my google pixel. Went to manage users and it wanted me to put in an email address. I knew it was going to try to make me create another ST account with her email address which in my situation made no sense; I just wanted to add her to the app so she could control lights, fans, locks, etc. if she wanted to from her phone instead of voice. Downloaded the app on her iphone and started to log in thinking of course that I could just add her as another user and that it would recognize her phone. NOPE. Frustrated, I gave in and sent the “add user” email and created her account. When logging in to her account for the first time it asked if I wanted to continue on to my original account with her user info. Ok cool, clunky way but if it works whatever. NOPE- in my account but still no phone. And every time I attempted to add her phone through marketplace it said phone already registered (or whatever the wording was). Logged in and out on both phones 47 times and reset the hub. NOTHING. Then just started messing with my phone and figured I’d try to add mine just to what it said. What do ya know, it added my phone. Her phone presence took over my OG presence!

So I’m thinking that maybe a short term (long term? pending a fix) is to “add” existing mobile phones after logging in with a new one since the new one might just steal the ID of existing ones. Then just rename and good… We are only a two phone household at the moment so I can’t easily test my theory any further than this…

Hope this helps someone!! After some other early on frustrations, this almost sent me down the returns road… Hopefully smooth sailing from here…

1 Like

That’s great… if you can delete a user once added, which also doesn’t work.
Next please…

@tgauchat First, nice product. I did the trial a bit skeptical but was impressed with the slick interface, customization, and ability to add any webcams outside of the ST interface and add them directly to panels without clicking into a device. I also wanted the ability to give limited/simplified access to functionality of ST. So i bought the license.

Question: Is there a way to detect iphones of the family members without adding them via ST accounts?

You mean for Presence detection?

It’s something we are thinking about, but it’s a but complicated because geolocation layer is different on Android vs iOS, etc.

There are some clever ideas on this Community such as running a script that watches for known phones to join your WiFi router.

Or Life360.

I’ve yet to consider presence detection to be reliable unfortunately - so that also lowers our motivation to try this.

ok. i get you have a lot going on with a startup. That said, if one of your selling points is that you can give users “shared” access to panels, getting by a limitation of users having full access to ST by having their own account, but you don’t have a solution for presence detection for the phone that they are using to access your panels…ummmmm

1 Like

I agree… ActionTiles has many different use cases … and presence really enhances sharing.

We haven’t had a lot of requests for presence sensing functionality; cause I think most customers run ActionTiles on a mounted tablet that doesn’t leave the home.

But Feature Requests are welcome at https://ActionTiles.com/feedback

I’ll go back to my point that a prominent feature is ability to provide limited access to other users, which would seem to target non-permanent-installation users. Anyway, 'nuff said.

I voted for “Enhanced webCoRE presence sensor integration” though from what I can tell, webcore is betaware, so not sure that’s the best solution. Seems a lot of your fans like it though since a lot of them are looking to replace ST routines with “pistons” (whatever they are).

I ran into the same problem today trying to add my wife as a user. When I tried to use the SmartThings classic app on her android phone, it would say she’s already logged in on the phone with her Samsung account and to continue or go into system settings and logout. I also noticed that after this happened, her e-mail address disappeared from the invited users in the SmartThings classic app on my android phone.

I then decided to login to her e-mail account on my laptop and accepted the invitation there. I was then able to login using her Samsung account. After that, the invited next to her e-mail address in my SmartThings app went away but her address stayed. I was then able to successfully open the SmartThings classic app on her phone and see all my devices.

@Highbar’s answer led to my success, but I have an iPhone and the 3-line menu is on the bottom-right.
After pressing that i see there is a V-shaped drop-down next to the gear-button on the top-right.
When I press the V-shaped drop-down, I see the shared location. After pressing that, I now can see and manage my device.

Thanks all for the comments/help.

Read Highbar’s note: make sure you have the correct “Home” chosen when you click the 3 lines. If you are on the second phone there probably is the original “Home” when you logged in (or with previous versions of the app) and the shared “Home” is listed below it, but hidden unless you click on the little arrow down.