Accessibility Guidelines for Keypad/Card Reader Placement

I thought I would just put this here for future information.

To place Keypads, card readers, buzzers and doorbells so someone in a wheelchair can reach them…

The ADA in the US has very specific guidelines, so I am linking to an information sheet:

Note that if the Device can only be accessed from the front of the wheelchair, then the maximum height of the top of the device is 48 inches.

If the device can be reached from the side of the wheelchair, you get extra height to play with, But remember that some people may have use of only the left arm and others have use of only the right, so don’t take advantage of this unless there is side access from either side.

The same placement will also make the device accessible to most kids who are in late elementary school/middle school. :sunglasses:

This is also the recommended placement for Ring video doorbells.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002548086-Proper-Positioning-for-your-Ring-Video-Doorbell

One of the biggest mistakes people make is mounting their Ring Doorbell too high in the mistaken belief that they need to do this in order to catch people’s faces. In fact, as illustrated above, viewing faces is not a problem if the Ring Doorbell is mounted at the correct height of approximately 48 inches above the ground.

2 Likes