Ring Protect Keypad

According to RING support, their new Protect Keypad (https://ring.com/protect-keypad) WILL work with SmartThings.
Does anyone have information about this, or knowledge if official support will be added to SmartThings app?
Will it support the 30-second delay function (grace period)?
Will the PIN pad work, or will it be limited to the 3 settings buttons (function like an Aeon Minimote)?

1 Like

If it integrates with ST, that would be amazing! I wonder if their alarm monitoring could also somehow be integrated with ST.

Did you get this from contacting Ring Support directly? I don’t see anything about ST on the Ring website.

Yes, contacted RING and asked. Was told that it WILL work with SmartThings. Support did not yet have further details on if the integration will be through the SmartThings App, or if it will require anything else. Was hoping a developer here may have answers, or someone from the SmartThings team.

We don’t have any announcements about integrating with the Ring Protect Keypad. Sorry to burst your bubble. I’m not sure why Ring would be saying that. It’s not unlikely that we’ll support it, but I wouldn’t expect to see it soon or right out of the box or anything.

4 Likes

@Tyler I would personally like to see this and I imagine others on the forum would as well. I will make sure to let Ring know I want to see this as well. Also will you ever get integration to their video feeds for ring doorbell, directly in Smartthings app similiar to Arlo or Samsung cams, would be nice to do more with it than a motion or button trigger. If it’s not something can be done due to Ring then that would be great to know and I will go bug them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s been like that since 2 minutes after the announcement in Facebook (a few hours ago).

More than that, the combination of a keypad, plus entry/exit delays, plus z-wave just might be enough to get me to change to Ring and ditch the ST.

I love ST, don’t get me wrong, but if the Ring z-wave is even close to ST, it will be hard for me to not make the change since I’m already looking at picking up some more Ring cameras.

2 Likes

that is disapointing to hear. really need to find a keypad solution that just easily works and the delay function is exactly what most of us have been wanting for quite some time.

3 Likes

Will be taking a close look at the Ring system if the keypad (or similar alternative) is not supported by SmartThings soon. The delay function alone may be worth the price of switching, which looks to maybe be around $200 for the hub and keypad. That’s much cheaper than the new ADT SmartThings pad, which is not available as a standalone purchase.

It’s already on Best Buy’s website:

• Hub + 2x keypad + 2x motion + 3x door + range extended = 300
  • Hub + keypad + motion + door = 200
  • Base = 120
  • Keypad = 50 (that’s a steal, especially if it works with ST)

There are two keypads available now which work well with SmartThings using custom code. A zigbee one from Centralite sold under the Lowe’s iris and Xfinity brand names, and a zwave one from BeNext sold in the US under the Zipato name. The Lowe’s Iris one is frequently available on sale for about $25 and is quite popular. :sunglasses:

The only thing about the Iris is that it doesn’t fare well in weather. Ask me how I know.

Yes I could make a box, but that would require work.

1 Like

You can buy an enclosure box. The following is just an example, you should be able to find a less expensive one at a local electrical supplies outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-DBK55C-1-Weatherproof-Non-Metallic-Thermostat/dp/B00AAU5D70/

You trouble my wallet sir. :wink:

3 Likes

$16 keypad ( on sale right now at Lowe’s) plus a $19 enclosure box is still less than $40 :wink:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-White-Security-Alarm-Keypad-Works-with-Iris/999925326

2 Likes

I will return this favor when you are least expecting it and at a time most convenient to you. Good day. :smiley:

In all seriousness, I can barely get time to tweak my settings some days, but I’m bookmarking this. I already have the keypad and I like the box you linked. Thanks.

3 Likes

The attractive feature of the Ring Protect Keypad is the 30-second delay to use as a security touchpad to set before exiting the house. It’s a feature that many have wanted for a long time and would go a long way to making the SmartThings system “work” better for my wife (and others entering/exiting my home) without the SmartThings app connected to my system.

1 Like

Has anyone been sucessful at making ANY of the keypads work with a delay function reliably, while still having a PIN of some kind required to operate? That is what SmartThings is missing in the “lineup” of available products.

Yes, but we’re getting pretty off-topic for this particular thread. Just go to the other link that I posted above, then go to the threads that have the device type handlers and you can talk to the people who have those devices and ask about delays. There are several ways that people are implementing delays, but ask there and they’ll be glad to explain.

1 Like