3D Printed Fire Tablet wall mount

Perhaps the 3D printing data file could be obtained, and you might be able to find somebody in your area to print it for you.

Also an option…maybe it’s time to figure out how to convince the finance officer (thinking of my situation actually) to let you get a 3D printer. lol

2 Likes

Added to the OP.

The tablet I am referencing is the $49 new Fire tablet. It’s the “new” fire tablet. Not a number, just the new one and the only one that sells for $49 in the lineup.

I have relayed the interest of the tablet being surrounded by material, as to not looked docked (more like a digital photo frame). When I get another rendition, Ill be sure to post it up.

Please revisit the OP and see if Im missing your name, if you’ve shown interest.

1 Like

[quote=“Turb02, post:22, topic:42003, full:true”]
The tablet I am referencing is the $49 new Fire tablet. It’s the “new” fire tablet. Not a number, just the new one and the only one that sells for $49 in the lineup.
http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Display-Wi-Fi-GB-Includes/dp/B00TSUGXKE[/quote]

Oh, good. That’s what I have. :slight_smile:
Thanks for getting this going.

1 Like

No worries. I found him on a car forum, had him print a few things (emblems) and figured Id ask him if he could do this.

1 Like

I believe it would cost about 50$ to get it 3D printed. This is a much more complicated build than OPs one. The front face would be sandstone (smoother face so you don’t get the jagged look) and the base would be ABS Plus cost of small magnets. Would only do it if it had a lot of interest due to the cost of it

1 Like

Please start your own thread for your effort to garner interest, so members do not get confused on which one this thread is about.

An email I just received from the contact I have:

A couple of points, I plan to print in either ABS or PLA I don’t see any value of one over the other at the moment as they would be inside and not exposed to weather. Because you were going for a minimalist design I was trying to do a single piece, however doing a 2 piece design may prove to be a bit easier from a build perspective. If I use ABS I can do vapor polishing which will give a nice glossy finish but with the new filaments I’m using it doesn’t seem to remove the tool paths as well as the older filament, which I could go back to for these prints. Just not sure ultimately what you prefer. I would be ok shipping to UK if he is willing to pay actual shipping costs. How do you feel about a 2 piece design?

1 Like

I’ve been using one of these for months after I got it all rooted and set up for my needs. Throw me on the interested list!

1 Like

Added! (10 chars)

“…would be okay to post to the UK” Ah hah… I’m back in the game.

Actually, I’ve used MyUS in the past, so as long as he is will post to Florida I should be golden. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im in as well…

1 Like

So I just mailed my tablet to him. It will arrive on Friday so I’m hoping to see some results this weekend.

As soon as I get info, Ill post here. Fingers crossed that this comes to fruition as we all hope it will.

2 Likes

Sweet!
Thanks for keeping us posted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update from designer:

" I’ve got a contour that hugs the and leaves a bit of backspace for air flow now. Next step is to turn that into the core structure, and then allow access for the buttons. I’ve also got the “FacePlate” designed just a flat rectangle so nothing too exciting there. I expect to have the first full prototype printed by Thursday. Shooting for sooner but I want to make sure I meet my commitments to you!"

1 Like

A few considerations. Don’t know if the design takes these into account:

A. If your Smarttiles goes south, you’ll need to access the ST mobile app. It only displays vertically… this mount looks like a horizontal-only configuration.

B. Some folks are using tablets for voice activation (via GoogleNow) as well as touchpad activation. The mic, along with the power and volume control buttons, are on a side that seems to be covered by this mount.

1 Like

[quote=“Glen_King, post:35, topic:42003, full:true”]
A. If your Smarttiles goes south, you’ll need to access the ST mobile app. It only displays vertically… this mount looks like a horizontal-only configuration.[/quote]

For me, it’s not directly relevant, because I use my phone/tablet/comp for that, and my wall-mounted devices are only for UI; not system configuration.

However, it’s still a good point for folks that are using it as their primary ST mobile app device too.
I assume it won’t really be practical in the near-term with this maker, but could be something to consider down the road. Like, it might be cool to have the ability to ‘spin’ the mount right there on the wall. Of course, it would really depend on mounting setup, power cord or wireless charger/receiver placement, etc.

The initial design has been revised to a 2 piece design, like a photo frame. It should be mountable horizontal AND vertical

Did you miss this part?

I don’t suppose I could up my order to 2? I’m probably going to buy a second Fire 7" tablet at some point, do it makes sense to have two the same.

Sure can! Ill edit the OP.

Yeah, I did miss your last post where you included that info. Meaculpa.

1 Like